Planned downtime: Harddrive replacement

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Planned downtime: Harddrive replacement

Postby fanatic2 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:02 pm

so game will be offline for a while huh ? atleast we are able to see when it'll get to end :)
Last edited by fanatic2 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fanatic2

Postby mattnoakes » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:06 pm

hvuuh231 wrote:W7 : Make a palisade that is larger than "within 300 blocks of me."

my palisade is 300 big but its in a terrible place because it was the only island i found with <6 palisades on. not that someones already tried to kill me 4 times in 2 days lol
mattnoakes

Postby Ryukishen » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:06 pm

loftar wrote:It's not guaranteed to take quite that long, though; it depends on the I/O throughput which is a bit variable (on the other hand, that also makes it possible for it to take longer than that). I might put something small up on the index page to monitor the progress.

If you guys are doing what I think you guys are doing, then you're doing an HDD Clone of sorts?
All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.
Ryukishen

Postby hvuuh231 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:10 pm

mattnoakes wrote:
hvuuh231 wrote:W7 : Make a palisade that is larger than "within 300 blocks of me."

my palisade is 300 big but its in a terrible place because it was the only island i found with <6 palisades on. not that someones already tried to kill me 4 times in 2 days lol

What i'm trying to say is that you don't have to tell us problems, try fixing them, with a large world like HnH its possible that there are multiple spots without people, just go on a large exploration or keep trying to make new character c(:
hvuuh231

Postby loftar » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:11 pm

Ryukishen wrote:If you guys are doing what I think you guys are doing, then you're doing an HDD Clone of sorts?

It's an ordinary RAID1 array. I'm just letting it resync after the replacement, so as to not hinder I/O for the game server.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby mattnoakes » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:14 pm

hvuuh231 wrote:What i'm trying to say is that you don't have to tell us problems, try fixing them, with a large world like HnH its possible that there are multiple spots without people, just go on a large exploration or keep trying to make new character c(:

aye im not trying to load problems on ppl, its more just a question to the devs to see if they would consider it, and if so soon? (this is getting way off subject)
Last edited by mattnoakes on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattnoakes

Postby danvath » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:14 pm

This is the time of the world that you stop trying to build on the known grid, you gotta go to the spots that are off the grid to find the best things. Q 50 stone, check, Q 50 soil, check, ore, check, no neighbors, check.

One of the things I miss about only having a few spawned mines, it sucks causing them to get raided over and over, but it made people have to go off of anything that was maped.
danvath

Postby Amanda44 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:16 pm

mattnoakes wrote:2 long down times in less than 24 hours, cant we just skip all the crap and have w7 already?
mattnoakes wrote:u r common, all im saying is all good spots in this world are taken and every river littered with signs. also when i say "taken" i mean every island i try and spawn a new char on has 5-6 palisades within 300 blocks of me.

So what u r saying is that everyone who has worked hard four four months and built up a good village and strong community ties, all go to hell cos you are too lazy to walk around a bit and find a good spot! :o

There are still plenty of spaces, there are only two villages, 3 including mine, in my vicinity and all spread far enough apart to thrive without infringement on one another.

I suggest u travel further afield. I get really fed up with ppl wanting a new world every 5 mins!
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Krystalfoxfire » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:18 pm

Seriously, just walk a little.
I walked and walked, ran from boars, and walked...and I found an entire empty island for myself.
Then I got murdered, lol.
Krystalfoxfire

Postby mattnoakes » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:21 pm

Amanda44 wrote:So what u r saying is that everyone who has worked hard four four months and built up a good village and strong community ties, all go to hell cos you are too lazy to walk around a bit and find a good spot! :o

There are still plenty of spaces, there are only two villages, 3 including mine, in my vicinity and all spread far enough apart to thrive without infringement on one another.

I suggest u travel further afield. I get really fed up with ppl wanting a new world every 5 mins!

clearly missing the point, when i can set sail on my main for a day straight and find nowhere remotely safe to build a new base in (forgetting quality of land), theres something wrong.

by all means if the devs have found a way to extend the current map to accomidate new people and maybe not spawn them next to a brick walled village of 15+ people without making a new world to do so then do it. but as far as iv read and experienced for the last 7 days a new worlds the only way to join into the game. (1 of those days spent 90% sailing for new land)
mattnoakes

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements