Gods Walk The Earth: Playtesting Trade

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Gods Walk The Earth: Playtesting Trade

Postby Chakravanti » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:02 am

I thinki #11 is a FINE idea. It will cause the market to change and prevent monoplies from remaining over sources and at the same time increase the value of those commodities.

Also, i think silk production is perfect as it is. It is a background activity for newbies and a potential source of income for those wishing to invest in large scale production. To preform the latter SHOULD in fact require a large investment. Furthermore the lack of it on the market is just timing. In a month I'm sure this will change dramatically without new applications for the product. As it currently stand the applications are perfect for the current market.
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby theTrav » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:03 am

Krantarin wrote:The problem is the theft stuff is just true. If you're in a place within the watery boundaries of a newbie, you get cleaned out pretty often unless you have a brick wall. It's happened to us twice so far, and we haven't had anything worth stealing.

I live in The City of Brodgar. We are situated pretty much on top of the RoB... Definitely and deliberately within the range of new characters.
Our city has no brick walls, and the wooden Palisades are always open. There are walls for peoples individual properties within that, all made of wood log.
To my knowledge there has been no major bust down the wall type theft in the city to date.

Krantarin wrote:If I decided to swallow my pride and stop living alone like I want,

You said us before... that implies not alone

join your village of Brodgar, would I be able to mine without epic constitution?

You would need a minimum of 43 constitution to cross the river on the way to a mine. I don't feel that's epic and as I said it took me about a month to get my alt up to that level. he was only pushing it hard for about a week. If you really want I'll help get you a whole lot of bread to get you there faster.

And If so, why would I want to mine for you guys? I could swim to safe areas and find a new mine!

Umm... Look, you're complaining that you can't find a mine and can't live in safety. I'm providing a solution to those problems if you want to take it. If you don't want to take it then that's fine too, I'm just trying to show you that the game doesn't have to be all doom and gloom.
theTrav

Postby Peter » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:05 am

One of the big problems I have with #11 is that it would make the central area even more of a wasteland than it already is.

What could be done is have points regenerate slowly... in fact, if one or two players was using a point conservatively, then they might be able to get a lot out of it without draining it.

That also suggests that one might be able to work extra hard to get a really high-q bit of resources out of a point at an extra expense.

If such a system was implemented, everyone, from the highest to the lowers newb, would need to be able to travel to find new resources. If that's the case, then it should be possible for even those with little to no combat skill to find a place to settle. To allow that, maybe there should be natural variations in quality wilderness level, so even moderately new players would be able to find a place to settle in the outer grids.
Surprise.
Peter

Postby theTrav » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:10 am

My reading of #11 wasn't like "if one character digs constantly for 24 hours there will be no good clay left" but more along the lines of "if a settlement of 10 characters uses the resource more or less as their primary export for multiple months, possibly up to a year or even multiple years, the source will dry up".

In that time you'd have a lot of infrastructure and homes and trade set up. The disappearance of that resource would just mean some more imports to feed the secondary industries.
theTrav

Postby Chakravanti » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:46 am

IDK Pacho...I don't think he said anything about resources not respawning 'near' RoB. It is simple that different people will have access to varying Q's of commodities in varying quantities. And, in the beginning the Highest Q will of course be the first to market fetching the top dollar.
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby Pacho » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:51 am

Chakravanti wrote:IDK Pacho...I don't think he said anything about resources not respawning 'near' RoB. It is simple that different people will have access to varying Q's of commodities in varying quantities. And, in the beginning the Highest Q will of course be the first to market fetching the top dollar.

I don't remember posting anything about resources in this thread

I don't remember posting anything at all since the first page

I do have terrible memory though, and I can't be arsed to look back a few pages so you'll have to do that for me =P
Pacho

Postby Hamel » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:55 am

jorb wrote:11) Quality points should decrease and deplete as they are used. Every time someone digs out clay within the radius of influence of a Q-point, that Q point should weaken. New Q-points could then be randomly spawned elsewhere when one is depleted. They should, of course, be extremely rich to begin with, or settlements won't be worth it. The point is that a single Q point of awesome water, clay or minerals, should not last forever. A long while -- very much so -- but not forever.

I must agree with Kobnach. This seems like a bad idea to me, it essentially dooms villages to eventual relative lack of value, and in turn, abandonment.

And as Warrri points out, the griefing possibilities are horrifying.
The grumpiest tree you ever did see.

Character: Hamel, previously Chieftain of Ancient Bottleneck, a founding father of the Confederation of Bottleneck. Currently a hibernating soul.
Hamel

Postby Chakravanti » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:28 am

SOrry Pacho, NOT YOU...I meant Peter. I'm just a bit dyslexic.....
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby Fools » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:00 am

1. create your own access to semi-rare resource
2. sell resource
3. laud the market

I wish I could work that way. To start with a specialization that's profitable. It would be pretty cool. However, the reality for us all is very different.

1. grind up skills to a tolerable level.
2. gather resources from all corners of the world.
3. make a tree.
4. repeat until resources and trees are sufficiently high to make a product.
5. make a product.
6. try and sell it and then realize that the people who need it only need it because they are in steps 1-3 and thus have little to offer while those who could trade something truly useful to you will only do so out of convenience since they are just as, or more advanced than you.

The market is great if you have a mine. Try this experiment again without magic, mines, and magic mines. The problem is that once you move away from geographically limited resources you come into a grey area where there's little advantage or opportunity to specialization. Can you really become a great clothier without being great at producing all the equipment? If you need someone to produce it for you, what motivation do they have? Someone who can construct good quality objects can probably do your job better than you. Ultimately it's a problem with late and early stage content, if there's one common narrative to all players it is that we toil to an end of complete independence, and within that narrative there is no room for a functioning, productive relationship between late stage and new players that isn't reliant on late stage players being lazy, bored, inactive, or otherwise unable to simply play the game. Of course, this isn't a categorical statement, but as a matter of basic structure in this game, it is true, and it will a negative impact on the game over time.
Fools

Postby Chakravanti » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:12 am

You don't know what you're talking about. It's already been stated several time that there is a high demand for linen and other Q irrelevant resources producable by all but the absolutely fresh newbies. an hour or two of grindwork and you can be on your way to producing valuable and marketable goods. If you have a problem with crop rendering lag (Which occurs for some people with large wheat and flax fields) Then seperate them with two rows in between. Or grow hemp, which grows faster anyway. There's plenty more. I'd trade you a good quality churn that with about 30 cooking can make 20+ butter for a dozen linen. Did I mention there is an almost limitless demand for linen? Beyond that, Brodgar has a mine, join them, go full industry and go mine. I'd recruit you to mine my mine but I can't stand whining little *#Y$(^&!@*#*(DF>......

Yeah, in fact, there IS more than linen to do at your level but I don't feel like repeating what myself and others have stated several times throughout this thread.

Boats, unclaimed mines, new supergrids nixes any potential value your argument had from the beginning.

Then there is the merchant factor. THis is how i acquired my wealth. My mine is as of yet entirely unmined and yet I have shit. And so do my peeps. I have not done any serious grinding since day 1.

Jorb used a tin mine because it got him into the market faster than linen and other shit.
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements