Game Development: Cart & Coin

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Cart & Coin

Postby jorb » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:02 am

I tried and it worked fine for me. If anyone else encounters Dwarfu's problem, please post here or in "Bugs".

Edit: Riiiiight. Your client just needs reloading, Dwarfu :)
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Laremere » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:07 am

When an update needs a new client, it should have a message pop-up like "need new client!" and close.
Laremere

Postby trollfairy » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:00 am

Great update.
And there seems to be a new combat maneuver - Death or Glory.
What are its effects?
trollfairy

Postby Squig » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:10 am

Good job, keep this up :D
Squig

Postby Krantarin » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:39 pm

[quote="Rift"]the cart takes any LIFTABLE object. or more exactly it can hold UPTO 4
meaning the most you could carry would be 4 trees or 4 wooden chests [and everything inside them]
Thats a lot of stuff! and YAY![/quote]

Despite what Rift was saying, for some reason, I can't put animal carcasses in the cart (even though I can lift them). I thought it would be great for hunting, you know, carry all of your un-butchered animals back to base camp. I was dead wrong. Instead I've needed to put chests in the cart and butcher animals on the spot...

Should this be in bugs?

Edit: Oh, and does anyone have any idea how much coins will be worth? For some reason, it doesn't seem like they'll be all that much...
Krantarin

Postby Dwarfu » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:23 pm

[quote="Krantarin"]Edit: Oh, and does anyone have any idea how much coins will be worth? For some reason, it doesn't seem like they'll be all that much...[/quote]

They will be valued just like any other object in the game, on how easy it is to obtain and create. Since coins are based on the underlying metal, how rare/tough it is to get that metal will determine the value. And they will devalue as more and more of them enter circulation (which is why I love that the devs had the foresight to be able to melt coins as well).
Dwarfu

Postby Rift » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:34 pm

yea my bad.. i guess you cant do 'any' liftable object. just containers/wood.
Rift

Postby sami1337 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:34 pm

chests and trees seem to work fine for us.
sami1337

Postby Yolan » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:43 pm

The value of the coin depends on what metal it is made out of. So, right now, you could get iron coins, wrought iron coins, and steel coins. When other minerals are implemented, such as silver, gold and copper, then coins can pressed out of those also.

What will they be worth? Well, that will fluxuate, as this game is player run.

For example, I would say that steel coins are worth a -lot-. Why? Because they have utility. That is, they can be melted down and turned into a bar of steel, which can then be used to make sweet ass swords with. Here is the genius of it. You might not actually want to melt down the coins you trade for, but you know that there will always be somebody who does. It is their potential utility as a mineral, unlike with modern day currency, which grantees their worth.

The actual value will in part depend, like with trading for goods in general, on who you are bartering with, and how much they want those coins. But, generally speaking, I think we will see inflation as the number of coins in circulation increases. Then again, we might also see deflation in generally accepted value with the increase of the player base (hence less coins to go around), and with coins being melted down and turned into usable objects. Could go either way. Probably will go both.

Player run banking system anybody? ;-)
Yolan

Postby sami1337 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:52 pm

coins have the advantage to only take up 1 slot (i think). So its a perfect way to trade for goods. Why would anyone melt every coin back to use for crafting? People will want to keep enough coins to trade.
sami1337

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements