Game Development: Cart & Coin

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Cart & Coin

Postby jorb » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:17 pm

Yolan wrote:For example, I would say that steel coins are worth a -lot-. Why? Because they have utility. That is, they can be melted down and turned into a bar of steel, which can then be used to make sweet ass swords with. Here is the genius of it. You might not actually want to melt down the coins you trade for, but you know that there will always be somebody who does. It is their potential utility as a mineral, unlike with modern day currency, which grantees their worth.

I applaud you on your beautiful insight into the utter uselessness of the good-for-nothing paper "money" that your government is forcing on you IRL. Modern day currencies are shams ever since the abandonment of Breton Woods and the gold standard. Without a metal standard, the government can basically tax you, without having to go through even the normal courtesies of at least informing you about it, by simply printing and selling more of their so called money. Hello inflation, hello malinvestment, hello "financial crisis". *mumble-mumble-rant-bark-rave*

Metal standards are guarantors of value, and thus of liberty, and thus of human dignity. See also Gold and Economic Freedom -- Greenspan, Alan, 1966.

... sorry. Couldn't keep myself. :)

Player run banking system anybody? ;-)

Will happen. Probably without us even having to do much to implement it. Wax seals will happen, and after that you can basically set up shop and hand out wax sealed parchments as banknotes. :)
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Yolan » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:21 pm

Yes, I've been reading a bit about this myself. ;-)
Yolan

Postby Krantarin » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:35 pm

God, I love this game.
Krantarin

Postby Yolan » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:10 pm

Utimately the value of these coins is tied to the value of equipment in general. Which is in turn linked to how much is in circulation. I.E. how easy is it to get a great set of armour and an awesome sword? Right now, its pretty hard. But if after months of smithy work there has only a small increase in the number of players, it would be relatively easy. Hence, inflation.

One way around this is pretty common in MMOs and MUDS. Some kind of equipment sink. I'm not sure if this is being considered. Although, I guess dying far out in Mordor and not going back for your equipment might well count.
Yolan

Postby sami1337 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:19 pm

armor has hitpoints anyway.
sami1337

Postby shockedfrog » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:16 pm

The updated skill tree png (or the in-game tree) isn't quite right, Steelmaking requires Wheelmaking.
shockedfrog

Postby Hamel » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:52 pm

What's with the different colored skills on the skill tree, anyway?
Hamel

Postby Krantarin » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:25 am

I'm now walking around with ninety nine steel coins!! I wonder If I'm the first man to it. Time to trade!!

And to Hamel... wrong thread, dude.
Krantarin

Postby Hamel » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:27 pm

[quote="Krantarin"]And to Hamel... wrong thread, dude.[/quote]

I figured I would ask it here as there has been a bit of talk about the skill tree already, and I did not see any other skill tree related topics in the "How do I?" sub-forum.
Hamel

Previous

Return to Announcements