Planned downtime: OS upgrade

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Planned downtime: OS upgrade

Postby zmurrell » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:58 am

ahh i see well when in doubt do what i do defrag and dick cleanup till seems ok :P hurrhurr
zmurrell

Postby misspoop » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:59 am

Dill wrote:
Heres the problem.

They get paid to work on salem.

They dont get paid to work on hnh.

jorb wrote:What does this mean for Haven?

Absolutely nothing. Development on Haven has continued, continues and will continue as per usual, although with the less than weekly updates that you have witnessed for the past four months or so. As soon as Salem is released, we intend to bring the development of Haven back up to normal speed.

In no way, shape or form have we, or would we ever abandon this our most beloved game. It's business as usual around here, except the family is expecting a new child.

Why can't you guys just believe them? They wouldn't work this much on Haven/ worry this much about it if they wouldn't care.
100% Leaf Tobaccos
Produced without additives
misspoop

Postby dra6o0n » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:01 am

Has loftar tried optimizing the netcode, or in a sense, take a look at how latency the server needs in general without players, and how much each player consumes at a certain rate?

There may be certain stuff that doesn't require syncing as they provide no change in gameplay... Like friends list updating, making it check for players at a slower pace like every 5 seconds instead of every second.
Tweaking something that's constantly drains resources for no reason on the server side, to be slower to add in more space for better latency.
dra6o0n

Postby tempwad » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:10 am

1) go C++.
2) go Windows.
3) go TCP.
4) go packets compression.
5) go multithreading.

and your server easily will handle with 10k players without lags
tempwad

Postby Tonkyhonk » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:34 am

tempwad wrote:1) go C++

taboo word there!
Tonkyhonk

Postby bamump2k9 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:01 am

game is playable, but it's dangerous to tame anything til the lag goes down.
The sum of my experience is comprised up of more skeletons on my own claim then alot of you guys have wood blocks invested in your wall. But even though these skeles show i am a bad player- i still strive to continue through this vile territory in the hopes that one day i will have an army big enough to find you and murder all you know
xoxo ~bamump
bamump2k9

Postby Kaoru » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:16 am

i find the game not to be playable at the moment. i cant even walk out of my house for god sake... i dont know how anybody plays at this lag level...

not complaining, but im seeing more people saying the game is playable, and maybe if you are jesus and can manipulate spacetime... but not i sir. not i.
Kaoru

Postby loftar » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:23 am

dra6o0n wrote:Has loftar tried optimizing the netcode, or in a sense, take a look at how latency the server needs in general without players, and how much each player consumes at a certain rate?

There may be certain stuff that doesn't require syncing as they provide no change in gameplay... Like friends list updating, making it check for players at a slower pace like every 5 seconds instead of every second.
Tweaking something that's constantly drains resources for no reason on the server side, to be slower to add in more space for better latency.

loftar wrote:I love all the absolutely clueless thoughts and suggestions about the lag in this thread, even in spite of me having stated the actual reasons multiple times. :)
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby loftar » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:24 am

tempwad wrote:1) go C++.
2) go Windows.
3) go TCP.
4) go packets compression.
5) go multithreading.

and your server easily will handle with 10k players without lags

2/10, I guess. You did at least make me doubt for a minute whether you were trolling or not. ^^
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby misspoop » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:50 am

Kaoru wrote:i find the game not to be playable at the moment. i cant even walk out of my house for god sake... i dont know how anybody plays at this lag level...

not complaining, but im seeing more people saying the game is playable, and maybe if you are jesus and can manipulate spacetime... but not i sir. not i.

It's really okay. Sometimes it lags hard, sometimes you have about 10 minutes with very little lags. It is playable. Maybe it's not the server, it's all us. :D
100% Leaf Tobaccos
Produced without additives
misspoop

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements