Planned downtime: OS upgrade

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Planned downtime: OS upgrade

Postby loftar » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:59 am

Well, it has certainly far from solved the problem, either way. Now that I have a kernel source tree to compile from, though, I have a few debugging tricks that I'll want to try and see if I can extract some information from.

In case anyone was wondering, by the way, I've discovered that the source of the lag has changes slightly from before the original OS upgrade, though. It's still a matter of ridiculously long I/O latency on simple operations, but whereas it used to stop in functions like close(), open(), rename() and the like, the by far most common source of lag right now seems to be doing mmap'ed reads from BSDDB region files.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby tempwad » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:34 am

can you publish smartctl -A about both hard disks? just for sure, what Hetzner didn't tricked you again.
trapped? masturbate.
tempwad

Postby Thijssnl » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:47 pm

Any progress in fighting the lag? After ages I've taken up playing Haven again :D (yay) but im scared to fight anything but ants atm :')
Thijssnl

Postby Keepoladon » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:23 am

I really hope this lag gets fixed soon. It's making the game almost unplayable. But I love this game so much I still find myself playing though it.
Keepoladon

Postby zacty » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:47 am

loftar wrote:Well, it has certainly far from solved the problem, either way. Now that I have a kernel source tree to compile from, though, I have a few debugging tricks that I'll want to try and see if I can extract some information from.

In case anyone was wondering, by the way, I've discovered that the source of the lag has changes slightly from before the original OS upgrade, though. It's still a matter of ridiculously long I/O latency on simple operations, but whereas it used to stop in functions like close(), open(), rename() and the like, the by far most common source of lag right now seems to be doing mmap'ed reads from BSDDB region files.

i have no idea what the hell you said, but can it be easily fixed?
i really need to find a good signature
zacty

Postby TeckXKnight » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:06 am

zacty wrote:
loftar wrote:Well, it has certainly far from solved the problem, either way. Now that I have a kernel source tree to compile from, though, I have a few debugging tricks that I'll want to try and see if I can extract some information from.

i have no idea what the hell you said, but can it be easily fixed?

The primary issues are 1) Time necessary to root out the bug and 2) The software necessary to. Neither of these really exist at the moment but, loftar is most likely giving what spare time he can to fixing it. =)
TeckXKnight

Postby zacty » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:21 am

thats good enough for me! :D
i really need to find a good signature
zacty

Postby misterwool » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:40 pm

All I want for Christmas is no more lag. No more lag. Just no more lag. Gee, if I could only have no more lag then I could build a village. It seems so long since I could kill some ants. Gosh, oh gee how happy I'd be If I could only chop down a tree. All I want for Christmas is no more lag. No more lag. Just no more lag...
misterwool

Postby FictionRyu » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:26 pm

Complaining about it won't help end the lag.
Scooby Doo taught us that the real monsters are humans.
FictionRyu

Postby borka » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:05 pm

misterwool wrote:All I want for Christmas is no more lag. No more lag. Just no more lag. Gee, if I could only have no more lag then I could build a village. It seems so long since I could kill some ants. Gosh, oh gee how happy I'd be If I could only chop down a tree. All I want for Christmas is no more lag. No more lag. Just no more lag...

xmas wishlist forwarded to your family, friends and .... sadly they can't fullfill your wish...so no xmas presents for you this year :shock:

Well but i got a present for you - learn what it's about:
loftar wrote:-snip-the by far most common source of lag right now seems to be doing mmap'ed reads from BSDDB region files.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mmap
http://www.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/help/B ... egion.html

happy learning! :P
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements