Planned downtime: Harddrive replacement (again)

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Planned downtime: Harddrive replacement (again)

Postby Krugz » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:19 pm

loftar wrote:
tempwad wrote:Stuff

I can't quite tell to what extent you are trolling, so I'm just going to assume your whole post is a troll. :)

Rehpic wrote:You should consider just switching to TCP. Many modern MMOs use TCP for their client/server communication (I know WoW and STO for sure, and I'm sure there are others).

What are you implying the advantages would be, really? With UDP, I gain a lot from not having to retransmit obsolete data, and can't say I'm seeing any disadvantages whatever. I haven't ever noticed the actual protocol ever being a problem in any way, really. If you are of a contrary opinion, do feel free to voice concrete problems with the current protocol. :)

Loftar, why do you answer to people just throwing random ideas at you? The answer to that is probably the same reason I'm sure you'd fix the lag right now if you could. Don't let the forum trolls wear you down.

On a more thread-related note, since the HD was replaced the lag has significantly improved for me. I'm guessing the replacement wasn't a significant upgrade (if it was an upgrade at all) to the previous HD, does that mean a solid-state drive could significantly improve the lag? Ironic I know, that I ask a random stupid question after commenting on random stupid questions. Well either way, thanks and good luck. :mrgreen:
Signed,
that guy who did that thing same as the first II
Krugz

Postby Mvpeh » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:53 pm

Krugz wrote:
loftar wrote:
tempwad wrote:Stuff

I can't quite tell to what extent you are trolling, so I'm just going to assume your whole post is a troll. :)

Rehpic wrote:You should consider just switching to TCP. Many modern MMOs use TCP for their client/server communication (I know WoW and STO for sure, and I'm sure there are others).

What are you implying the advantages would be, really? With UDP, I gain a lot from not having to retransmit obsolete data, and can't say I'm seeing any disadvantages whatever. I haven't ever noticed the actual protocol ever being a problem in any way, really. If you are of a contrary opinion, do feel free to voice concrete problems with the current protocol. :)

Loftar, why do you answer to people just throwing random ideas at you? The answer to that is probably the same reason I'm sure you'd fix the lag right now if you could. Don't let the forum trolls wear you down.

On a more thread-related note, since the HD was replaced the lag has significantly improved for me. I'm guessing the replacement wasn't a significant upgrade (if it was an upgrade at all) to the previous HD, does that mean a solid-state drive could significantly improve the lag? Ironic I know, that I ask a random stupid question after commenting on random stupid questions. Well either way, thanks and good luck. :mrgreen:

Both of those were legitimate suggestions, there aren't many trolls on this thread.
My son, walk not in the way unarmed; because thou knowest not when thy enemy shall come upon thee.
Mvpeh

Postby Felkin » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:39 am

This thread is becoming waaaaay too negative, its like everyone is mad at eachother and the stupid server. People have been unable to go fishing for faaar too long... I dont even care what happens with my prized chicken anymore. The game is slowly fading away....
Felkin

Postby Tonkyhonk » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:16 am

nah, its just that some people like to think they know better.
loftar is cool, trying to keep us informed of what is happening.
Tonkyhonk

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:54 pm

Felkin wrote:This thread is becoming waaaaay too negative, its like everyone is mad at eachother and the stupid server. People have been unable to go fishing for faaar too long... I dont even care what happens with my prized chicken anymore. The game is slowly fading away....

Nobody's mad. They're just typical computer geeks.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby loftar » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:00 pm

Krugz wrote:Loftar, why do you answer to people just throwing random ideas at you?

Because sometimes they just make me curious. :)

Krugz wrote:On a more thread-related note, since the HD was replaced the lag has significantly improved for me. I'm guessing the replacement wasn't a significant upgrade (if it was an upgrade at all) to the previous HD, does that mean a solid-state drive could significantly improve the lag?

If it is true that the lag has decreased, I would be quicker to ascribe that to the experiment, which is still running. It doesn't exactly seem clear-cut to me that the lag really has improved, though. :)
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Dill » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:07 pm

loftar wrote:
Krugz wrote:Loftar, why do you answer to people just throwing random ideas at you?

Because sometimes they just make me curious. :)

Krugz wrote:On a more thread-related note, since the HD was replaced the lag has significantly improved for me. I'm guessing the replacement wasn't a significant upgrade (if it was an upgrade at all) to the previous HD, does that mean a solid-state drive could significantly improve the lag?

If it is true that the lag has decreased, I would be quicker to ascribe that to the experiment, which is still running. It doesn't exactly seem clear-cut to me that the lag really has improved, though. :)

I agree with krugz. After the hd update the lag has greatly decreased. There still is lag but nothing too bad.
Dill

Postby mvgulik » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:50 pm

Or ... it could just be some placebo effect.

I don't mind seeing some direct server data on this.
That kinda reminds me whether logging the return time of the "/srv-state" page is actually a good source for this. As it seem it might be more a indirect way.
mvgulik

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:54 am

I can confirm that for me, at least, the lag has almost entirely subsided to the state that the game was in prior to the "upgrade" that caused all the problems. I have no clue when this started, only so much that I read the above posts that the lag had subsided and thought to check myself. Initially, the lag was so unbearably bad I could not even put in a single curiosity. Now, besides the regular but infrequent lag spikes, the game is very responsive again.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby mvgulik » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:30 am

Sigh
To bad you can't confirm the user-count at that moment. For all you know you ware the only one playing. (less players, less lag)
If you get the same experience when there are +400 users playing ... you might got something interesting.
mvgulik

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements