Planned downtime: Harddrive replacement (yet again!)

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Planned downtime: Harddrive replacement (yet again!)

Postby Xcom » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:12 am

I know this might be a bit off topic but is it possible the backups cause the lag? I remember the last time the hard drives failed there was a few interesting post from Jorb explaining the lag problem and I might have completely misinterpreted what was said but it sounded as if there was a delay during the backups.

I don't consider myself an expert but just a suggestion. If the lag is caused by the backups. Would it not be possible to reduce the amount of lag by increasing the time between each backup?

The worst that might happen is that an hour of game play is lost on a failed hard drive. I mean if we only get 3 HD crashes a year it might be well worth losing a bit of game play for a less laggy game experience.

Of course if I'm completely wrong about the backups causing the server delays please feel free to ignore this post.

Edit: was referring to the OS upgrade thread.
Xcom

Postby Zeronine » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:10 pm

Any chance of a progress update Loftar? thanks for solving it all in a fairly swift manner by the way :)
Zeronine

Postby Dill » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:21 pm

Zeronine wrote:Any chance of a progress update Loftar? thanks for solving it all in a fairly swift manner by the way :)

loftar wrote:So there, I finally got her up and running again.

The RAID resync is currently running and is at this moment reporting that it will take 690 minutes to complete, but the speed is seldomly even, so that might very well change in either direction.

Unfortunately, the minimaps were indeed lost, and the reason the minimaps haven't been updating for a while is because I've been trying to run the server with map compression (which I haven't yet implemented in the minimap renderer, so it can't read them), so I'll need to run the server without map compression for a while so that it has a chance to resave the maps uncompressed before I can render new minimaps.

Posted at Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:23 am. Do the math.
Dill

Postby Doness » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:04 pm

Dill wrote:
Zeronine wrote:Any chance of a progress update Loftar? thanks for solving it all in a fairly swift manner by the way :)

The RAID resync is currently running and is at this moment reporting that it will take 690 minutes to complete, but the speed is seldomly even, so that might very well change in either direction.

Unfortunately, the minimaps were indeed lost, and the reason the minimaps haven't been updating for a while is because I've been trying to run the server with map compression (which I haven't yet implemented in the minimap renderer, so it can't read them), so I'll need to run the server without map compression for a while so that it has a chance to resave the maps uncompressed before I can render new minimaps.

the math means it should've been done about 2-3 hours ago ^^
Doness

Postby Spork033 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:06 pm

Dill wrote:

12:23 am + 11.5 hours (690 minutes) is Noon for whatever time zone that is. It looks like that time might GMT, and noon was 2 hours ago... I don't think an update request is unreasonable, so long as people aren't expecting Loftar to get it all restarted on his lunch break :P
Spork033

Postby Dill » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:06 pm

Doness wrote:the math means it should've been done about 2-3 hours ago ^^

loftar wrote:so that might very well change in either direction.

Dill

Postby Zeronine » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:52 pm

Still means your "do the math" statement is somewhat invalid :p
Zeronine

Postby Dill » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:02 pm

Zeronine wrote:Still means your "do the math" statement is somewhat invalid :p

Ok let me correct myself, "Do the math to get a estimate."
Dill

Postby firefox9001 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:35 pm

Postby firefox9001 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:48 am
lol is the other hard drive going down now? This lag reminds me of how it was acting before one of the drives crashed recently.

Somehow I tried to tell you doesn't quite cut it.. ;) .. hehe I just thought it was funny I was asking a couple weeks ago about this.

I have heard that SATA "Enterprise" drives aren't so enterprising at the (anonymous) storage company I work for. I believe this is what Hertze(?sp) uses from what I gather on their web-sight. So it would probably be best to stick with some higher RPM SAS HHDs if nothing else and for your application as that might help some. However, I am not sure if you have that option. A pair of SSDs would be cool to try out as well. However I rather not wait another day to play this great game again, but maybe for another time perhaps. hehe
firefox9001

Postby borka » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:50 pm

Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements