Game Development: Ancestral Worship

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Ancestral Worship

Postby loftar » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:10 am

jorb wrote:
kobnach wrote:Interesting. I like that I can be full change and still keep some of my stats. But I want to double check; what do I keep? Suppose I die at full change, 100,000 LP total, and str, con, dex etc all 80. Do I come back with 25,000 LP and str,dex etc at 20 (implication - dying at 40 leaves you at starting values)?

This.

No.
kobnach wrote:Do Str, dex, etc come back at 10 + 70/4, i.e. 27-ish?

This.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby mcmiker » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:12 am

what about to worship Jorb & Loftar, the firsts ancestors of all of us hearthlings? :mrgreen:

nice update =)
mcmiker

Postby jorb » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:17 am

loftar wrote:
jorb wrote:
kobnach wrote:Interesting. I like that I can be full change and still keep some of my stats. But I want to double check; what do I keep? Suppose I die at full change, 100,000 LP total, and str, con, dex etc all 80. Do I come back with 25,000 LP and str,dex etc at 20 (implication - dying at 40 leaves you at starting values)?

This.

No.
kobnach wrote:Do Str, dex, etc come back at 10 + 70/4, i.e. 27-ish?

This.

This.

Sorry, only skimmed the example.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby jorb » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:18 am

loftar wrote:
jorb wrote:The other two ancestor slots will be calculated as if they held two newb chars.

Actually, that's not even true. If you don't have three ancestors, the extra "slots" won't count at all towards anything (if anything, they count as if they had zero in every stat).

K. So no point in starting the game without first dying three times, then?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Jackard » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:21 am

And getting a head start on your alignments with those three deaths.
Jackard

Postby Jack » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:22 am

For those who dont have ancestors.

Lets all gather around Runes of Brodgar, make a blood orgy and bath ourselfs in our own blood and get an ancestor this Saturday night!

Or should we wait... 2 weeks to get back to full tradition so we can retain 50% more LP?

I want to test the new system, but I dont want to die!

PS: Hey, dont come kill me and say "Im helping you, so now you can have an ancestor! Where are you going, dont run, this is good for you!"
Jack

Postby mcmiker » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:26 am

Jack wrote:For those who dont have ancestors.

Lets all gather around Runes of Brodgar, make a blood orgy and bath ourselfs in our own blood and get an ancestor this Saturday night!

Or should we wait... 2 weeks to get back to full tradition so we can retain 50% more LP?

I want to test the new system, but I dont want to die!

PS: Hey, dont come kill me and say "Im helping you, so now you can have an ancestor! Where are you going, dont run, this is good for you!"

OWNED :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mcmiker

Postby Gaiadin » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:29 am

I concede that perhaps this change won't encourage griefing more than we've seen previously. But I still contest that there SHOULD absolutely be at least some sort of benefit for not having died. It seems to me that your ultimate goal is to discourage total meltdown when a player dies. But rather than just do that, you've actually made it appealing to have died. this is the part that seems backwards to me. Perhaps you could find a way to give these advantages to players who haven't died.

Causes for concern:

jorb wrote:loftar wrote:
jorb wrote:
The other two ancestor slots will be calculated as if they held two newb chars.

Actually, that's not even true. If you don't have three ancestors, the extra "slots" won't count at all towards anything (if anything, they count as if they had zero in every stat).

K. So no point in starting the game without first dying three times, then?

This.
loftar wrote:
jorb wrote:The other two ancestor slots will be calculated as if they held two newb chars.

Either way, if you don't have any ancestors, you couldn't sacrifice anything at the shrine, since there aren't any ancestors to desire anything.

Everyone has an ancestor. Unless we were spawned from celestial ooze. Why not give everyone a basic 10-stat ancestor. then we could at least benefit from the system without having to kill ourselves off first.
Gaiadin

Postby Jack » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:36 am

We would be able to benefit from some stuff that dont require stats, like lembas.

But the power of the ancestors, that gives strenght/melee/unarmed combat/marksmanship would still be left out of usefullness
Jack

Postby niltrias » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:45 am

Jack wrote:We would be able to benefit from some stuff that dont require stats, like lembas.

But the power of the ancestors, that gives strenght/melee/unarmed combat/marksmanship would still be left out of usefullness

Thats a good point. As it stands, you would be silly to start this game without killing yourself at least once first.

NOW I understand the drowning and killer thorn things tho. It was all just part of JnLs grand scheme to ensure everyone got an ancestor!
<Marcher Lord>
Dogs! Oh god, please give us DOGS!
There are those who press on with the ardor of beer, and those who are faint with thirst.
niltrias

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements