Game Development: Ancestral Worship

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Ancestral Worship

Postby nutsnmango » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:26 am

I think this is a nice update even tho I have no ancestors and don't intend of dying anytime soon, but I wanted to ask something. Before there was some point in the change/ tradition slider where you would have retained 25% of you stats. when the bar is in that same position now, do we get to retain more, or the same amount of stats?
nutsnmango

Postby jorb » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:27 am

Gaiadin wrote:Doesn't this basically give griefers yet another advantage? Incentive even. Go around killing people until you get killed, then come back, worship, and go around with near double stats doing it again? I suppose it depends on the amount of time it takes to get that much NP but still... This seems so backwards :-/

I don't think you've thought this through. At all. ;)

Also, if you do not have any real ancestors you are presumed to have ancestors with 10 in all values (Starting values for a new character, that is).
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby nazi1 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:30 am

If you die while having the einherjer active, will the character that inherits from you inherit a percentage of your regular specs, or your buffed specs? Also same situation, if that descendent then einherjer'd would he get your regular specs or your buff specs?
Last edited by nazi1 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
nazi1

Postby Lightning4 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:31 am

Is it just me, or is there no ancestor worship menu? I was able to build an altar and buy the skill. If it's an update problem, the client doesn't seem to want to update at all.
Lightning4

Postby kimya » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:33 am

i cant see the submenu, although ive bought the skill.

/edit
whoppa, lightning was faster
kimya

Postby RaptorJedi » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:34 am

jorb wrote:Also, if you do not have any real ancestors you are presumed to have ancestors with 10 in all values (Starting values for a new character, that is).

I bought the skill and tried to build the shrine and it said "You cannot build an ancestrial shrine with no ancestors."
<Megagun> FOx
RaptorJedi

Postby jorb » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:35 am

nazi1 wrote:If you die while having the einherjer active, will the character that inherits from you inherit a percentage of your regular specs, or your buffed specs? Also same situation, if that descendent then einherjer'd would he get your regular specs or your buff specs?

Your ancestors will still have their stats modified by their belief sliders, but other than that, no stat mod (from snuff, equipped items or other buffs) are ever inherited. Obviously.

Loftar forgot to rebuild the client. It should be done in a minute. Update your client when it is to see the new menu.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby jorb » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:35 am

RaptorJedi wrote:
jorb wrote:Also, if you do not have any real ancestors you are presumed to have ancestors with 10 in all values (Starting values for a new character, that is).

I bought the skill and tried to build the shrine and it said "You cannot build an ancestrial shrine with no ancestors."

Right, true dat. You need at least one.

jorb

Postby Gaiadin » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:35 am

jorb wrote:
Gaiadin wrote:Doesn't this basically give griefers yet another advantage? Incentive even. Go around killing people until you get killed, then come back, worship, and go around with near double stats doing it again? I suppose it depends on the amount of time it takes to get that much NP but still... This seems so backwards :-/

I don't think you've thought this through. At all. ;)

could you elaborate? You've added an advantage for having died. The people who gain this advantage must have died. The easiest way to die is to get involved in PVP combat (or to die stupidly, I'm sorry but if you die from anything other than pvp combat, you're doing it wrong.) Those most likely to get involved in PvP combat are either griefers, or those defending against griefers. Thus, this update seems to favor griefers, or at least PvPers.
Gaiadin

Postby kobnach » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:37 am

jorb wrote:If you die at 100% change you still retain 25% of your statistics when reincarnating. If you die at 100% tradition you still lose 25% of your statistics. Also the time between slider changes has been modified. At full change you can now adjust the belief sliders once every 8 ingame hours and at full tradition once every three days. Changing a slider still moves you one step towards change.

What, then, are numen points good for?

Light of the Ancestors, 3NP: Light effect on your character determined in strength by the perception + exploration of your ancestors.
A Prayer for Bread, 5NP: You get a loaf of bread, quality determined by the cooking skill and the perception values of your ancestors.
Prayer of a Lost Child, 15NP: You get a completely filled in local map of the area you are in.
A Prayer to Loftar, 25NP: You get one loaf of Lembas bread.
Einherjeraspekt, 40NP: Strength, melee, unarmed and ranged combat values of your ancestors are added to yours. This effect lasts for one full ingame day.

Interesting. I like that I can be full change and still keep some of my stats. But I want to double check; what do I keep? Suppose I die at full change, 100,000 LP total, and str, con, dex etc all 80. Do I come back with 25,000 LP and str,dex etc at 20 (implication - dying at 40 leaves you at starting values)? Do Str, dex, etc come back at 10 + 70/4, i.e. 27-ish? Or does one get something like 1/4 of the FEP one would have spent, if one had got these stats at maximum efficiency - i.e. that 80 str cost 10+11+12+13+...+79 FEP (89+69/2 if I remember right; let's call it 90*70/2, 3150 FEP) - call it 3200 - 1/4 of that is 800 FEP ... giving a value just below 40 (10 + 11 + ... + 39 FEP, ie approx 50*40/2 = 1000 FEP)?

That prayer for lembas sounds very convenient. The rest don't seem very useful, unless that "local" map is really regional - i.e. 1/4 of a supergrid. If one is going to pray for food, how about more variety? (Butter steamed cave bulbs might be worth praying for, or some really good cheeses... at least if the ancestors had good cooking and good perception.)
kobnach

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements