Game Development: Ancestral Worship

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Ancestral Worship

Postby Mikkel » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:37 pm

Laremere wrote:Ooooh, that explains it.
Mikkel wrote:All right.
I died.
I was going to get some fish from the water (to sacrifice). Then i died, because I suddenly lagged and spiked into the deep water and drowned.
Why the fuck? I would really, really want my character back. An idiotic bug just killed lots of hours of work.
NOTE THAT I DIDN'T TOUCH THE SWIMMING OPTION.

Why did you have swimming on?

That's what's so strange, because I didn't touch the swimming toggle button. Perhaps it was the lag, or the new update, anything at all, really, but I didn't toggle it on.
Mikkel

Postby Laremere » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:38 pm

Machenoid wrote:
loftar wrote:After thinking things through just a little, I have decided to introduce the following changes after the next server restart:
[words]

Hopefully this time YOU WILL WIPE THE CHARACTER DATA, TOO.
It really needs to be done so that certain players can get it hammered into their thick skulls with an iron nail and parchment that faces their eyes, that characters will be killed by a reset more often as they grow too powerful for an honest look at the way a new map actually plays with new, level-zero characters.

Laremere wrote:All these secret items annoy me :/
I agree with this. NetHack is so full of "secret" things you're practically forced into reading the guides and spoilers in order to not gimp yourself into a horribly unplayable corner.

Character data will not be wiped unless it is required because character data can't be transfered over, or new systems go into place that make existing characters way too powerful. There is no need to wipe ancestors at this moment.

I was referring to items that can't be crafted by everyone even if they have acquired all skills and have all resources available to them. Such as what the monocle used to be, as only Delamore could craft them.
Laremere

Postby Mikkel » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Seems like I have to stick with a new character. Oh well, life goes-.. No it doesn't.
Mikkel

Postby p1geonman » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:19 pm

jorb wrote:If you die at 100% change you still retain 25% of your statistics when reincarnating. If you die at 100% tradition you still lose 25% of your statistics.

Why didn't I retain even 1% of my statistics at full Change?
p1geonman

Postby Lightning2 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:34 pm

I wanted to put sand in a by-my-friends made altar, and it didn't accept it, I forfeited and now I want to put glass in it, it didn't accept it either, am I bugged or something?

Thanks
Lightning2

Postby Vanigo » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:34 pm

jorb wrote:Sunlit stilton is a fourth tier cheese.

No it isn't. It's third tier.
(Well, unless you count the incredibly slow step as skipping over a tier, anyway. Or you count curd as tier 1 instead of tier 0.)
Vanigo

Postby Hamel » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:38 pm

This is really a hilarious thread if you read it all at once. Very interesting, really, although it hardly affects me in the slightest. :)

Anyway, with all of the buffs (strength in particular) that are getting implemented, I would like to point out that the matter of protecting yourself is getting especially difficult. I predict that conflict will be even more rare than it is now if something is not done soon. People are, and likely will be more, afraid to leave summonable clues, since death is still a bad thing for most.

This issue is especially difficult for peaceful (not the slider) people that have to effectively sacrifice their well-being to retaliate against thieves or griefers, or hire someone willing to sacrifice theirs, and I suspect those people will become increasingly rare. This latest update seems to both help and hinder the problem.

Having summoned people defend themselves (even if it's just punch/chop/sting/arrowshot+pathfinding*) would probably help to solve this problem. Other things that would help would include further work on walls and/or other material methods of protecting yourself and your stuff, and scent decay, which would at least provide a end to the currently endless worry that someone who has your clues stored up will break down your walls and execute you for giggles.

(* Including a mechanic that would require you (the summoner) to be pathable from the summoned player at all times, lest the summoned become instantly un-summoned. Perhaps even a mechanic that would prevent you from starting constructions while in combat, to prevent a rather obvious abuse of the pathfinding with a bow and fires.)

Oh, and I'd totally go for a lembas wipe, even if just so I could use that square in my inventory with the loaf I'll almost certainly never use, but I'm still carrying around with me everywhere, just in case I might.
The grumpiest tree you ever did see.

Character: Hamel, previously Chieftain of Ancient Bottleneck, a founding father of the Confederation of Bottleneck. Currently a hibernating soul.
Hamel

Postby Sarge » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:27 am

NaoWhut wrote:Hm... anyone have a Bronze sword
or a steel bar for me? i'll give ya a
hug :D

JC, if you find a buyer, please let me know, I have a straw basket full of hugs... all <q5 though :p
factnfiction101 wrote:^I agree with this guy.
Sarge

Postby ZephNecro » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:50 am

How do i use this new feature?

Click on "forfeit"?
ZephNecro

Postby Jfloyd » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:55 am

ZephNecro wrote:How do i use this new feature?

Click on "forfeit"?

No, forfeit removes a point, to change what has to be offered.....
You need to take any one of the 3 items shown, and pick it up and right click it on the altar.
"When I grow up, I want to be just like Kaka" -James Floyd, on growing up.
Jfloyd

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements