Planned downtime: Account format migration

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Planned downtime: Account format migration

Postby loftar » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:21 am

Honored Hearthlings,

As part of currently ongoing efforts on my part to modernize parts of Haven's underlying facilities, I will be migrating the account and character information to the newer file format that Salem uses. To prevent simultaneous modification, I'll have the account server shut down during the migration, which means that all account-related services will be non-functioning during that time, which includes website/forum login, account creation and, of course, the game itself.

I'll shut the stuffs down around 2013-06-10 17:00 UTC, and they will remain down for however long the migration happens to take. I would approximate it to between 5-10 hours, but don't blame me if I'm off by an order of magnitude in either direction.

You won't notice the shadow a pixel of difference from me doing so, of course, so enjoy! Indirectly, it makes many of my chores a lot easier, but might also imply further lagfixes.

EDIT: Incidentally, it seems that (yet another :P) hard drive failure decided to occur now, as well, which calls for a replacement. From what I can tell, the failure of one disk seems to have confused the controller somehow, causing the current megalag. It should thus be resolved after the harddrive is replaced and the server thus rebooted, but I'm shutting down the game server now to be on the safe side (and since it's pointless to continue running it like this anyway).

EDIT 2: I've made an appointment with Hetzner to replace the drive at 15:30 UTC, so the server with website and all will be shutdown for a while around that.

EDIT 3: I'm not entirely sure what's happening, but Hetzner told me both drives indicated failure when they were going to replace the one that failed. What I know is that after the first drive failed, the second one started experiencing S-ATA link problems, but I assumed this was only due to the S-ATA host controller becoming a bit confus by one drive failing, and that it would be OK again after a reboot; however, the drive is continuing having the same problems now that I've rebooted, so I'm not so sure anymore. It does still only seem like S-ATA link problems, however, so a RAID rebuild and everything should work fine, if perhaps being a bit slower than usual because of the intermittent link resets. In the worst case, however, the drive will foobar in the middle of the process and all will be lost, so I'm currently backing everything up off-site, so that it can be restored should the worst transpire. Everything will likely take a bit longer, however. I'll keep you posted as the situation develops, but current status is, again, that I'm backing all data up off-site (and the disk is still reading everything perfectly okay).

EDIT 4: The disk was replaced and the RAID successfully rebuilt, so the server is now safe, at least. It does, however, turn out that the other disk is indeed only semi-functioning, in that it seems to be reading correctly, but has some weird host-interface problems, so it, too will need to be replaced, meaning the RAID will need to be rebuilt a second time. I'll complete the account format migration before that, however. The downtime is turning out to be far longer than I expected, for sure, and I'll also need to sleep somewhere in between, so expect the whole process to take another 12 hours or so. :P

EDIT 5: The account data has been migrated and seems to be working fine thus far, so you should be able to log in on the website again and create accounts now, again. However, the hour is over 9 AM over here now, so with that, I'm off to bed before continuing with the disk replacement.

EDIT 6: The replacement of the second drive has been appointed with Hetzner, now, at 22:15 UTC (two hours from the time of this writing), so the server will again be comletely down around that time. After that, the RAID will have to rebuild again, and then I'll start the game back up.

EDIT 7: Up and running again. Situation normal, all fucked up. ^^
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Re: Planned downtime: Account format migration

Postby Kaios » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:27 am

ok
Kaios

Postby Avulsio » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:31 am

Interesting. Carry on!
Avulsio

Postby Tonkyhonk » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:39 am

now many nerds can actually take a break and have some real sleep without worrying about going behind! :twisted:
Tonkyhonk

Postby Vigilance » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:46 am

fuck you loftar, why did you specify it in utc? what kind of gay timezone is that
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby overtyped » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:47 am

Tonkyhonk wrote:now many nerds can actually take a break and have some real sleep without worrying about going behind! :twisted:

Sleep is for the weak!
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby painhertz » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:47 am

5-10 hours? WTF??? What are we paying you guys for? I WANT MY MONEY BACK!
"I shall PERSONALLY witness for you at the shiny, chrome gates of Valhalla!"
painhertz

Postby Bob_the_Cat » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:48 am

Keep up the good work! but btw you should consider removing the hhp loss for TRESPASSING scents. Cuz loosing hhp for looking in stuff even if you dont take anything is pretty annoying...
Bob_the_Cat

Postby loftar » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:52 am

Vigilance wrote:fuck you loftar, why did you specify it in utc? what kind of gay timezone is that

What would even be the alternative? If I use some local timezone, there would be (completely understandable) misunderstandings about daylight savings instead.

If you look up your own local timezone, any given source will almost certainly specify it in terms of UTC.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby jordancoles » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:55 am

Painhertz and I want our 50 bux back!
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Next

Return to Announcements