Planned downtime: Account format migration

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Planned downtime: Account format migration

Postby banok2 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:28 am

I dont actually care teck I merely found it amusing

much pras too tired to actually play, so until tomorrow my sweet addiction.
banok2

Postby loftar » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:40 am

Serejai wrote:I can easily see the same situation play out with Haven

Sure, given only qualitative details, I agree that that is not a logical contradiction, but neither is, however, its negation, and I'm just not seeing it being the case in actual practice. As I said, Haven doesn't actually use all that much disk I/O. Quantitatively speaking, the whole server, along with all other processes running on it, uses on average somewhere on the order of ½-1 MB/s of write bandwidth and 1-2 MB/s of read bandwidth, and the disks are about 70% idle.

Admittedly, I don't know what kind of load these kinds of hard drives are rated for, but that really doesn't seem to me as though it should be particularly straining, at all.

Serejai wrote:I'm not sure what you're saying in regards to no server side lag recently. My group has been experiencing rubber banding quite often this past week; usually around the time when Russians/Eastern Europeans begin to log on.

I dunno, but I can't say I have detected much lag at all, server-side, at least, and that's what the Lag-O-Meter on the front page measures. If there are places where the routing is subpar, that would be meaningful to debug and see if something can be done about, but I'll admit I don't really know even where to start with such a project.

Serejai wrote:@i7 question - [...]

So what you're saying is just that Xeons are quantitatively better? That's no news to me, of course; I just thought it seemed like you were saying there was something wrong with the i7. For the record, the CPU, too, is usually quite unloaded. At the times when there are ~1400 people playing, the server process usually only uses around 35%, so I don't really see any reason to upgrade it yet, at least.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby g1real » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:45 am

loftar wrote:If there are places where the routing is subpar, that would be meaningful to debug and see if something can be done about, but I'll admit I don't really know even where to start with such a project.

Ask everyone to do a tracert?
:?
loftar: The inner chaos of the Jorbian mind is hard to conceal. :)
jorb: It's called creative license. You know, that thing you seem to want to apply to logic, grammar and coherence? :)
g1real

Postby Jackard » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:59 am

bitza wrote:wow we have an internet celebrity here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKKtnSVeY9o
Jackard

Postby KajetanChrumps » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:39 am

loftar wrote:Sure, given only qualitative details, I agree that that is not a logical contradiction, but neither is, however, its negation, and I'm just not seeing it being the case in actual practice. As I said, Haven doesn't actually use all that much disk I/O. Quantitatively speaking, the whole server, along with all other processes running on it, uses on average somewhere on the order of ½-1 MB/s of write bandwidth and 1-2 MB/s of read bandwidth, and the disks are about 70% idle.

Did you measure how much head repostioning they have to do ? This is more strain on HHD than data transfer alone.
Think about tuning the disk cache or even get more RAM to build a huge cache.
It's really hard to believe that all of 6 disks failed only because they were reused, especially when you say you are generally satisfied with Hetzner's performance.
KajetanChrumps

Postby burgingham » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:49 am

banok2 wrote:makes informative possibly helpful post, gets called out, proves them wrong & gloats slightly, gets called retard and asshole even by mods.

great community here :lol:

Acting like you are Mr. Bigshot when really nobody gives a shit about you being a big deal in an online lego game is kind of asking for it though. You could just be helpful without pulling the...I can't believe I am writing this..."celebrity card".
burgingham

Postby Gauteamus » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:16 am

Amusing to see so many of the old names in one thread, So jung kommen wir nie wieder zusammen!

burgingham wrote: being a big deal in an online lego game

To be fair, it is not as if his claim was that he once sung solo tenor in his local church choir.
It seems his lego experience might be relevant to the situation at hand.
Image<<Bottleneck>>
What if Rosa Parks had a car?
Gauteamus

Postby TeckXKnight » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:22 am

Gauteamus wrote:It seems his lego experience might be relevant to the situation at hand.

No one said it wasn't; people mostly just called him a dick for the way he went about it.
TeckXKnight

Postby g1real » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:32 am

Gauteamus wrote:Amusing to see so many of the old names in one thread, So jung kommen wir nie wieder zusammen!

To be fair, it is not as if his claim was that he once sung solo tenor in his local church choir.

Nah, his experience with servers was relevant, not his autism skills.
loftar: The inner chaos of the Jorbian mind is hard to conceal. :)
jorb: It's called creative license. You know, that thing you seem to want to apply to logic, grammar and coherence? :)
g1real

Postby burgingham » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:39 am

Gauteamus wrote:Amusing to see so many of the old names in one thread, So jung kommen wir nie wieder zusammen!

Since when do you know German? ^^

Hi Gaut, nice to see you. They are all coming back as it seems.
burgingham

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements