Mini-feature: Planting and Harvesting

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Mini-feature: Planting and Harvesting

Postby Jackard » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:17 am

One way is adding more of the oft-used actions as generalized abilities that you can hotbar: for example "Harvest" could be used to collect food in general - crops, fruit trees, mushrooms, animals (butchering)

Another is making more of the radial choices repeatable actions.
Jackard

Postby Delamore » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:36 am

Jackard wrote:One way is adding more of the oft-used actions as generalized abilities that you can hotbar: for example "Harvest" could be used to collect food in general - crops, fruit trees, mushrooms, animals (butchering)

Another is making more of the radial choices repeatable actions.

To expand on this
Right click could be generic "use" such as eating food or harvesting crops, when you use it on a tool you're cursor turns into that tool and you can use it on anything by right clicking, such as an axe on a tree. Left clicking returns cursor to normal.
Ctrl+right click could be used to open the old menu and would be good for things that have one main option that would be normal right click but still have other options.
Anything that doesn't have a obvious thing that right click should do, right click would just open the menu like normal.
This means I can right click any crop to harvest it, either have my axe in my hand and ctrl+right click a tree to chop it down, or right click it in my inventory then right click the tree.
Delamore

Postby Jackard » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:48 am

Delamore wrote:Right click could be generic "use" such as eating food or harvesting crops, when you use it on a tool you're cursor turns into that tool and you can use it on anything by right clicking, such as an axe on a tree. Left clicking returns cursor to normal.

yes very clever

and intuitive, in the case of rightclicking food items = eat, rightclicking most items = use, hotbar items = use, hotbar equipment = equip

context is what we're going for here
Jackard

Postby g1real » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:05 am

loftar wrote:Just to let y'all know, I slipped shift-click planting and modal harvesting into the latest server restart. To plant multiple seeds, hold shift when planting, and another seed of the same sort will be placed into your hand from your inventory. To harvest multiple crops, choose Adventure -> Landscaping -> Harvest Crop, and your cursor will change; clicking on crops with that cursor will harvest them without having to first right-click on them.

The menu item for harvesting looks like the one for plowing right now. Jorb needs to fix that. It can also be argued that it should be somewhere else than in the Landscaping menu, but I couldn't think of anything better right now.

P.S. The reason for this update is primarily that I've had a horrible wrist-pain for a week now after having spent some hours tending my fields. ;)

And only because it bothered you huh.

That said, finally! Makes it so much easier.

If only you could make it autograb the highest QL seeds too *mmbl*
loftar: The inner chaos of the Jorbian mind is hard to conceal. :)
jorb: It's called creative license. You know, that thing you seem to want to apply to logic, grammar and coherence? :)
g1real

Postby loftar » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:11 am

Delamore wrote:Right click could be generic "use" such as eating food or harvesting crops

I'm not too fond of that idea, though. Such destructive actions should at least inform the user what will happen beforehand.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Jackard » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:13 am

That's something that can be worked around, though. For example

1. a status bar - when you hover over links in a web browser, this tells you the destination. it also says what it is currently doing. same concept.
2. tooltips - with a mousehover delay, of course
Last edited by Jackard on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackard

Postby Delamore » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:14 am

loftar wrote:
Delamore wrote:Right click could be generic "use" such as eating food or harvesting crops

I'm not too fond of that idea, though. Such destructive actions should at least inform the user what will happen beforehand.

Possibly reverse it and use ctrl+right click as the use function, in that case a user would be required to know that they are going to use it and won't happen by mistake.
Delamore

Postby loftar » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:16 am

Delamore wrote:
loftar wrote:

Possibly reverse it and use ctrl+right click as the use function, in that case a user would be required to know that they are going to use it and won't happen by mistake.

That's not too bad an idea, actually. Of course, it would conflict with the general "drop" action for inventory items, but since I'm not using Alt for anything...
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Delamore » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:30 am

loftar wrote:
Delamore wrote:Possibly reverse it and use ctrl+right click as the use function, in that case a user would be required to know that they are going to use it and won't happen by mistake.

That's not too bad an idea, actually. Of course, it would conflict with the general "drop" action for inventory items, but since I'm not using Alt for anything...

The way shift and ctrl click works in inventories is a great example of what the rest of the system needs to be.
Delamore

Postby Frelock » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:09 am

As a hearthling who lives by farming, I'm very happy for this update. Thanks, Loftar!
Frelock

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements