Game Development: Bye, bye, Brodgar.

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Bye, bye, Brodgar.

Postby niltrias » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:49 am

Delamore wrote:Way to skip over me completely dismantling your idea.

That looked less like dismantling and more like complaining to me. As I said earlier, yes, it looks like the hidden villages will have fewer newbs joining. The idea that a hidden village would have a lower population does not surprise me, as I said before.
<Marcher Lord>
Dogs! Oh god, please give us DOGS!
There are those who press on with the ardor of beer, and those who are faint with thirst.
niltrias

Postby jorb » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:50 am

The only thing that has really changed is that you can now build new rings of brodgar, if you feel like it.

I agree that the picking stuff up and getting stuck thing is suboptimal, but anything else felt exploitable.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Gaiadin » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:54 am

jorb wrote:The only thing that has really changed is that you can now build new rings of brodgar, if you feel like it.

I agree that the picking stuff up and getting stuck thing is suboptimal, but anything else felt exploitable.

Not exactly. You said that once a single charter stone has been created, players will no longer be allowed to spawn at the ring right? So you've effectively forced us to have new players use new rings. If the Ring is still available to begin the game then I think most of the problems people have will be resolved.

People who don't want to align themselves with a village right away shouldn't have to.

Edit: Also, you shouldn't have to publicly reveal your location just to get players that you know out of game into your village. If you can't spawn at the RoB and you want your friend to come to your village but you don't want your village to be part of the network. You have to have your friend spawn at a random village and walk from there instead with no idea where it is in relation to your village.
Last edited by Gaiadin on Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gaiadin

Postby jorb » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:55 am

You don't have to align yourself with anything. You start in a village, quite simply. You aren't a member of it.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby Delamore » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:57 am

This seems like a rushed attempt to get waypoints more usage, rather than fixing the issues that make waypoints unattractive.
Great news for Chernobyl is that every newbie coming in over the weekend is shit out of luck because not only do we have to finish walls all around town we also have to build a walled in area for the charter.
Guess that is 20 newbies gone of which maybe 5-10 would have become active players who stuck around.
For a game with such a low playerbase that is bad.
Delamore

Postby jorb » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:59 am

This is an attempt to reduce our reliance on the single spawn point of doom claims and palisade mazes. Things that definitely keep people away from the game. New players do not have trespass, nor theft, nor vandalism and can consequently not do shit to your town.

jorb

Postby Delamore » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:01 am

jorb wrote:This is an attempt to reduce our reliance on the single spawn point of doom claims and palisade mazes. Things that definitely keep people away from the game. New players do not have trespass, nor theft, and can consequently not do shit to your town.

But if they were to kin someone before hand? Or use that handy coord system? Welp our location is gone.
What was wrong with any of the other suggestions that harmed new players less?
viewtopic.php?p=34045#p34045
Delamore

rely on crossroads? couldve at least fixed village claims

Postby Jackard » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:02 am

out of everything that could have been developed, this is probably least interesting or helpful. another disappointing week

well, at least we got candles out of it
Last edited by Jackard on Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jackard

Postby bajuba » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:04 am

sidenote:

secret update

10% minimum TW use on travelling
Was Lawspeaker of Macomb in W2.
bajuba

Postby Delamore » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:05 am

bajuba wrote:sidenote:

secret update

10% minimum TW use on travelling

Welp now the only use I've had for crossroads is gone, Traveling within a city.
Delamore

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements