Game Development: Bye, bye, Brodgar.

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Bye, bye, Brodgar.

Postby jorb » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:19 am

We've been developing tonight, and here's what's new.

Charter Stones: Villages have a new authority object available, the charter stone. Each village can have one charter stone. From now on, when you start a new character, you will start the game at one of the available charter stones, free of choice. If you happen to pick a bad one you can switch to a different stone as long as the "Baby Blue Eyes" status effect is active. Right click the Charter stone to bring up the charter stone selection dialog. If you pick up an item you will lose the "Baby blue eyes" status effect. If no charter stones are available, and only then, you will start by the ring of Brodgar. As soon as there is at least one charter stone active, the ring of Brodgar seizes to be the default log in position.

If you are a member of the village who owns a charter stone, you can make it your default starting location.

Please note that new players who spawn by your charter stone will *not* automatically become members of the village. You still have to swear them in, and they are, of course, unable to touch, steal or destroy stuff on claims.

The ring of Brodgar is still available as a travel destination (as is, btw, your Charter stone), but this will be removed when the infrastructure for doing so is in place. Start building your crossroads.

It is also possible to summon you by your charter stone using a stench.

Other: Cursor and icon for harvest action. New object, clay cauldron. The clay cauldron halves the quality of boiling water in it, and takes a while to heat up before it can be used for cooking. Candles in candelabrums now burn for seven ingame days.

Enjoy.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Bye, bye, Brodgar.

Postby Gaiadin » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:23 am

I like the candle change. I dunno about the rest right now. I guess we'll see =P
Gaiadin

Postby niltrias » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:24 am

Sooo....no more hiding towns out in the middle of nowhere?
<Marcher Lord>
Dogs! Oh god, please give us DOGS!
There are those who press on with the ardor of beer, and those who are faint with thirst.
niltrias

Postby jorb » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:25 am

niltrias wrote:Sooo....no more hiding towns out in the middle of nowhere?

... just don't build a charter stone?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby Delamore » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:25 am

jorb wrote:The ring of Brodgar is still available as a travel destination (as is, btw, your Charter stone), but this will be removed when the infrastructure for doing so is in place. Start building your crossroads.

How would you have any town that recruits from outside the game pick up their newbies after that point?
Delamore

Postby Gaiadin » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:27 am

The way I understand it you have to consciously build the charter stone for it to have any effect on your village. basically by building a charter stone you receive some slight benefits/deficits(new QT point but also a new summoning point to kill you) and you are agreeing to foster new players.
Gaiadin

Postby Ntrent » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:28 am

Aww, I kind of like the RoB. When I first started (which was quite recently) it felt like I was in a slum. There was alot of incentive for me to go explore and find some natural resources. Infact, my first camp was practically a shrine to the first tree I came across. I'm fond of the experiance. Street kid becomes farmer. RoB you will be missed.
Ntrent

Postby jorb » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:29 am

Delamore wrote:
jorb wrote:The ring of Brodgar is still available as a travel destination (as is, btw, your Charter stone), but this will be removed when the infrastructure for doing so is in place. Start building your crossroads.

How would you have any town that recruits from outside the game pick up their newbies after that point?

I know this isn't the answer you want, but... build a charter stone and tell them to spawn by it? Build the charter stone inside a walled compound? I'm sure you'll think of something.

jorb

Postby niltrias » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:31 am

I suppose it is a trade-off. Villages with charter stones can not hide their locations, but will have better access to new players, and hence likely higher populations, than those who do without.

So hidden villages have fewer people, on average, and public ones have more, but less security. Sounds about right to me.
<Marcher Lord>
Dogs! Oh god, please give us DOGS!
There are those who press on with the ardor of beer, and those who are faint with thirst.
niltrias

Postby Delamore » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:33 am

jorb wrote:
Delamore wrote:

I know this isn't the answer you want, but... build a charter stone and tell them to spawn by it? Build the charter stone inside a walled compound? I'm sure you'll think of something.

So if I wanted to find Chernobyl I just make a new character and party it? I'm really glad I built it in the middle of no where.
Delamore

Next

Return to Announcements