Game Development: Bye, bye, Brodgar.

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Bye, bye, Brodgar.

Postby Gaiadin » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:48 am

Delamore wrote:
jorb wrote:The RoB is a maze of abandoned claims and half-built decaying palisades that takes hours to simply leave.

Spawning needs to become more decentralized, as the RoB right now drives away more players than any other single aspect of the game.

Newbs must spawn in civilized areas, i.e. villages.

Scenario 1: Noone builds charter stones. The RoB is just as it was.

Scenario 2: One town builds a charter stone. That town is now the new Ring of Brodgar, except someone feels responsible for it, and can control crowd throughput via claims, walls, helpful runestones and revoked privileges.

Scenario 3: Two or more towns build stones. Population distribution.

This counters none of the arguments made against the system, it just displays what is obvious to us all.

Seriously, can we at least get an acknowledgement that their exists the possibility for new players to become trapped in a seriously dangerous or inescapable place? and if so, will you be brainstorming potential fixes to that problem?
Gaiadin

Postby Potjeh » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:16 am

Delamore, is it really so hard to build a fake village? Five people can build and activate an idol within like 15 minutes. You don't need *anything* else, other than a charter stone. You can just treat this village as a RoB away from RoB. Meet your recruits in IRC, tell them where to spawn, meet them at the fake village, swear them in, have them travel to Chernobyl. If anything, it's easier now because you can ensure that the spawn point is within newb-travelable distance of Chernobyl. And newb-travelable distance is still a fair distance, so it's not like random newbs can spawn at your fake village and randomly wander into Chernobyl. Especially if you have rivers between Chernobyl and the fake village.

Anyway, this development has it's uses, but I don't think CoB will be building much of these. Maybe in Swampcrazed, but not in other villages. Now, if it was possible to password-protect these charter stones...

Also, minimum 10% TW sucks monkey balls. Now we're being forced to sacrifice an unreasonable number of inventory slots to keys. Key rings should've come before this.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby VoodooDog » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:46 am

Delamore wrote:
niltrias wrote:So copy CoB and have a "starter" village with a charterstone, and after people have lived there for a while, permit them access to your non-charterstone cities. Once you swear them in, they can still port to the distant city. They dont have to take any 2-hour boat rides.

Requirements for being goons:
Well you wall your town up alot to keep people out
Then you keep a few people with access to an account that can invite people
Then you build ANOTHER TOWN which has to always have people active to teach the newbies coming in
You need to wall around a crossroad here as deep as your town is, because it would make your town unsafe if it wasn't walled
Then you need tons of agility food (while fucking the newbies stats unless you got tons of every other type for balance) so you can get them to the next town
You also need the magical ability to keep them from quitting during this process

stop crying and start thinking about alternativ possibilities
VoodooDog

Postby niltrias » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:07 pm

Well, since the server is crashed, I guess I will come back to the forums for a minute. Page 2 quote:

Jackard wrote:you realize the training camp is less than a minute from the Ring? why would we make one there when the City of Brodgar will do it for us?

So here, Jackard points out that you can simply use the BC (Brodgar City) chapterstone, which is (or will be) one minute away from the old RoB. So basically, you have the same situation that you had before, except that now you have the opportunity to build your own newb spawn point slightly closer.
<Marcher Lord>
Dogs! Oh god, please give us DOGS!
There are those who press on with the ardor of beer, and those who are faint with thirst.
niltrias

Postby warrri » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:27 pm

These 10% minimum TW per travel are really a fucking joke :cry:
The world I love The tears I drop To be part of The wave can't stop
Ever wonder if it's all for you
The world I love The trains I hop To be part of The wave can't stop
Come and tell me when it's time to
warrri

Postby Froggeryz » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:33 pm

warrri wrote:These 10% minimum TW per travel are really a fucking joke :cry:

it's the most retarded goddamn thing so far, I'm stuck in the village vault with no way to get out now until the guy with the key comes to save me!
Froggeryz

Postby Jackard » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:27 pm

Delamore wrote:
Jackard wrote:Couldnt we have at least gotten those long range invites?

Not without a proper unique name system.

you could always send them to the account
Jackard

Postby sabinati » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:52 pm

there really should be an option to set your stone as being public or private, with a password.
sabinati

Postby Potjeh » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:54 pm

I tried creating a new character half an hour ago to see how many stones are there already. Answer? None. It seems that Ring of Brodgar isn't exactly dead yet.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby warrri » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:35 pm

Well you see what a mess the rob is right now? Why would any city want to have a personal messed up rob. ^_^
The world I love The tears I drop To be part of The wave can't stop
Ever wonder if it's all for you
The world I love The trains I hop To be part of The wave can't stop
Come and tell me when it's time to
warrri

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements