Game Development: Keeping up with the Joneses

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Keeping up with the Joneses

Postby borka » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:24 pm

There's been examples of villages been wiped out for paving fascist meant swastikas by offended ppl in all worlds - i don't have a problem with paved swastikas - i have a problem with ppl being fascinated by fascism especially when they are from countries that encountered 2 dictatorships already and now are a free country with a fine development ... and i have a problem with propaganda by/for extremists openly posted here in the forums ...

(btw. i grew up with Baltic friends...)
borka

Postby Sevenless » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:26 pm

btaylor wrote:If a meaning can change why can't it change back? Maybe it just needs to be forgotten for a few generations and rediscovered.

To paraphrase a lovely quote I once heard (and now can't find the source).

"If humanity were brainwiped and all knowledge destroyed, sent essentially back to the stone age, science and religion would both be forgotten in an instant. Religions will spring up immediately, but they will not be the religions we know, they will be ones that reflect the reality of these new and confused humans.
Given hundreds or thousands of years, science would be rediscovered. And given enough time, science would discover the same truths our science of today is discovering. But the religions of today would be lost forever."
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Dzedajus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:34 pm

How can someone get offended by a symbol, because I always thought that only hypocrites get offended by them.
Dzedajus

Postby borka » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:44 pm

Maybe you should talk about that with your grandparents...
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby Sevenless » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:46 pm

Dzedajus wrote:How can someone get offended by a symbol, because I always thought that only hypocrites get offended by them.

hy·poc·ri·sy
/hiˈpäkrisē/
Noun
The practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.

How praytell is being offended by a symbol automatically qualifying of hypocrisy?

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby TeckXKnight » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:00 pm

Dzedajus wrote:How can someone get offended by a symbol, because I always thought that only hypocrites get offended by them.

People can be judged by their actions, beliefs, and associations. The groups and symbols that people belong to and have belonged to in the past have meaning behind them. If someone raised an American flag you would look at it and say, "That person identifies with Americans or is an American." If someone raised a swastika you would look at it and say, "That person identifies with the Third Reich or is a Nazi."

To those affected by the actions of the Third Reich and their actions, this symbol represents that same degree of emotion. To those that lost family, friends, or loved ones to Nazis there is a very immediate negative connection to this. Even those who have not had such close loses, through empathy they may feel a similar negative connection to Nazis and their symbolism

That someone has placed a symbol that associates them and their beliefs with the actions and beliefs of an organization can be offensive. When something is potentially offensive, people can be offended by it.

Of course there is the situation when a symbol is widely recognized as offensive; when something can elicit this emotion and is widely known to, people may begin to post these symbols in order to offend others on purpose, rather than because they identify with it.

Being offensive and offended is natural to being human; to say that we cannot make connections and develop links between things is to be purposefully ignorant to human nature.
TeckXKnight

Postby Windforce » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:30 pm

Probly abit too late but maybe making objects/building flagged as "built by player X" and only player X can break it easier (maybe with a sledgehammer at the very least logically) than someone who didn't built it.
Lilith Ravenclaw
Lawspeaker - City of Bevelle (World 3)
Windforce

Postby Sevenless » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:09 pm

Windforce wrote:Probly abit too late but maybe making objects/building flagged as "built by player X" and only player X can break it easier (maybe with a sledgehammer at the very least logically) than someone who didn't built it.

This has come up a lot, and it's been turned down a lot. Honestly making the person who built it able to break it is the least helpful since it's structures other people build that cause the most problems.

And if nothing else a battering ram is easy to construct and use with alts for anything other than strongboxes and bwalls.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby Jackard » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:58 pm

Flame wrote:*He go back at eating his icecream*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPcfJCqu0HQ#t=19s
Jackard

Postby Flame » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:06 pm

"I say that shot to a child is right and i draw the PenisAgainstChilds-Symbol that represent this chool of tough!! Why people get offended? They are hypocrite."

Mmmmmmh?
If i don't agree that kill a child is right, where can i be hypocrite saying "no" to that?

Same is for the Modern Svastika. If i strongly disagree who holded that symbol on a flag ther's no hypocrity on say "no".
Usually i don't agree with killers. Black, red, yellow, purple, green or rainbow killer people.
The freedom of talk is something important. The arouse of violence is not in that freedom.
So no hypocrity involved.

If a meaning can change why can't it change back? Maybe it just needs to be forgotten for a few generations and rediscovered.

Yeah, it will be. Most asiatic people uses it (that was an ancient symbol in theyr culture), so when our wars will be a far memory, the symbol will regain his meaning in our lands.
Or so i hope.

This topic is so derailed but...who cares. Is funny XD
Flame

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements