Forum bugfix

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Forum bugfix

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:42 am

Seizure wrote:Oh Loftar, sorry but you'll have to wait until the cookie expires until I can confirm the fix worked. Too lazy :D

I wasn't sure which cookie to clear, so I cleared all the HnH site cookies. It works properly now.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Xcom » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:13 pm

Just a small suggestion.

I have seen on other forums where you cant post a link until you have a certain number of posts to your name or have an account older then a week or so. Posting any links resulting in the forum rejecting to post.

It might be an easy fix for all the forum spam bots that have been plaguing us for the last few months, but then might be a pain to setup.
Xcom

Postby Arcanist » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:36 pm

An easier way might be a captcha, or a question on account creation...
Arcanist

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:20 pm

Arcanist wrote:An easier way might be a captcha, or a question on account creation...

I hear in certain locales that people get paid a few cents per web form filled out that has a captcha on it. (Probably not even that much....)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Seizure » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:12 pm

I heard its a few cents per hour, not per form.

Per form would be rather easy to get an okay amount of $ from, the limit only being how fast you can load a page and have a bot fill out the required fields sans captcha.

Maybe 6 pages per min, for 60 mins... 360 * .05 = $18. Even at 2 cents, your still making a little less than American min wage. At 1 cent, your making more than min wage of waiters.

btw, stopped being lazy. The fix worked for me too Loftar.
Seizure

Postby ydex » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:44 pm

a captcha would make it more annoying to shitpost tho, possibly making ppl think through what they post before they post it. :cry:

also i seam to have some weird issue where i have to log out (and ofc relog in) everytime i return to forums after work(or just a few hours). still im not logged in so cant comment on stuff etc.
bold
ydex

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:00 am

Seizure wrote:I heard its a few cents per hour, not per form.

Per form would be rather easy to get an okay amount of $ from, the limit only being how fast you can load a page and have a bot fill out the required fields sans captcha.

That's a few cents per form in the local currency, which comes out to a couple dollars an hour in USD or Euros (been a while since I've seen the new article).

Using captchas does slow down the amount of spam you see as it does cost more to have someone solve the captcha vs just making a new account with a bot and being done. The site has to drawn enough clicks to the ads to make a profit after paying for it, so small sites tend not to get bothered. On the other hand, small sites tend to get ignored more often as not as they just don't get enough clicks to make it worth setting up the forums and scripts.
MagicManICT

Postby Seizure » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:07 am

That is a very good point. I had not accounted for exchange rates.

I should say though that I do support having a captcha. We simply do not have enough traffic to justify using anything other than bots to spam us. Being small is very good in this case.
Seizure

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:14 am

But what about when I need to spawn massive amounts of alts to blockade a raid? :lol:
MagicManICT

Postby banok » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:21 am

so did jorbtar have to go and get real jobs now or something
banok

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements