Game Development: Vending Stand

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Vending Stand

Postby Potjeh » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:53 pm

Give this a chance, people. It'll turn out better than you think.

Anyway, if shops had two tabs, selling and buying, you could do away with the artificial coin enforcement. In the selling tab the player would be able to set a limited number of goods he wishes to buy, minimum acceptable quality and the price. The prices and balance would still be expressed in coins, but there would be no physical coins involved, unless the customer chooses to use them (if he doesn't have any goods the shop is buying, for example).
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby niltrias » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:54 pm

Potjeh wrote:Give this a chance, people. It'll turn out better than you think.

Anyway, if shops had two tabs, selling and buying, you could do away with the artificial coin enforcement. In the selling tab the player would be able to set a limited number of goods he wishes to buy, minimum acceptable quality and the price. The prices and balance would still be expressed in coins, but there would be no physical coins involved, unless the customer chooses to use them (if he doesn't have any goods the shop is buying, for example).

This.
We should have a number of ways to participate in the game when offline, be it by sleeping to recover stats, or selling carrots. Overall, tho, I love this addition, just open it up past coins.

Edit -- deleted the stupid part of this post, sorry, all, upon reading the next couple replies I realized that yes, you guts are completely right.
Last edited by niltrias on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<Marcher Lord>
Dogs! Oh god, please give us DOGS!
There are those who press on with the ardor of beer, and those who are faint with thirst.
niltrias

Postby Delamore » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:02 pm

niltrias wrote:
Potjeh wrote:Give this a chance, people. It'll turn out better than you think.

This. And also, please make this only usable when logged out, and add more log out stuff. The biggest break between MOO and RL is that in RL you are always in the village, but in MOO you have a job. (by RL, I mean the RL of a medieval villager).

We should have a number of ways to participate in life when offline, be it by sleeping to recover stats, manning guard stations, or selling carrots. Overall, tho, I love this addition, just open it up past coins.

"I put my shop on an alt so it is always on"
Why would it not be all the time instead of just when offline?
Delamore

Postby Potjeh » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:38 pm

I too am opposed to such restrictions. I shouldn't be punished for being online.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby kimya » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:52 pm

this is gonna be really cool. lets make a trading area! i wanna put up a stand right now... i think ill just make a small claim at the ring and sell my stuff there. maybe someone wants it?
kimya

Postby Jackard » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:18 pm

This should be useful for selling run of the mill junk. Are money pouches coming soon then?
Jackard

Postby Potjeh » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:22 pm

Exactly. People just don't understand the niche for stands. They're not meant for selling valuable stuff, they're there for saving inventory space in travels. For example, I plan to set up a stand near RoB, selling bottles of wine and wine glasses. This means you'll only need one inventory slot for money, instead of two for bottle and glass, if you travelling anywhere via Brodgar.

If Brodgar finds some work for roaming newbs that pays in copper coins, I'll also set up a fishing equipment shop. I only wish I could set up a shop that takes fish and gives coins, so that newbs can work their way up the equipment tree while providing me with fish in exchange. Seriously, with reverse shops this development would be a godsend for newbs.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Jackard » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:28 pm

haha thats funny, i like it
Jackard

Postby sabinati » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:44 pm

interesting. i'd like to see money pouches if you're going to stick with coins only, or like potjeh said, ability to sell to shops and set exchange rates based on a coin value, so someone could come to my shop and pay linen, or half linen and half coins. also, i haven't been on yet to check, but is it able to accept more than 1 type of coin per good? and can you have different values per type of coin? for example 2 copper or tin coins, or 1 iron coin accepted for the same item?
sabinati

Postby jorb » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:06 pm

It is very possible that this might not play out well, and its also possible that it wasn't the most crucial thing to do, but we wanted to try it. Its obviously not really intended for important trades, but more as a general way for simple trades to connect despite the differences in playing hours between buyer and seller. As I said, there are things about it I don't like myself -- the forced reliance on coins being the primary one. Despite that I do feel it could be useful. Villages could for example do something as simple as setting up a stand to sell a few mugs of beer to passersby. If it sucks it sucks, but I hope it won't.

You can only ask for payment in one type of coin per slot in the stand. You could of course set up several trades for the same item in different trade slots, requesting different payments for every specific one of them.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements