Game Development: Vending Stand

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Vending Stand

Postby kobnach » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:06 pm

Neat! Now to bring an alt up to yeomanry so I can put a food stand somewhere people are likely to access it; outside my front door is not a great place when I intentionally live in a less populated area.
kobnach

Postby jorb » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:09 pm

kimya wrote:well, from any direction. but i would really love to rotate them. basically every shop is on the right of the road
cause nobody wants to access a shop from behind. that feels so odd...

I should probably have made a less directional stand to begin with. I'll try to keep that in mind in the future.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby lordrio » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:10 pm

if the the trash and abandon claim on the right of brodgar were cleaned, it'll be a good site for lots of stall.
lordrio

Postby Agarrett » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:13 pm

My claim is on the left side of the road so I am forced to have it backwards. If they ever do have rotatable things then I definitely will build a new one.

Edit: Now all I need is 10 linen...
Agarrett

Postby Phazorx » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:23 pm

Well... i do like the idea of low maintenance trading, however i think current approach lacks convenience.
First - concept of currency versus money. The coins do not have any value for my character, while linen or metal nuggets do, so coins, regardless of what they are made of, are the currency while linen or nuggets/bars serve as money in current game world. This is important, because money have practical purpose and real value, while currency has added convenience (supposed to have it at least) and face (assigned) value.
Say - i want to rid of basket of mid quality linen and i am in need of nuggets for chests - with current options i either find my deal on IRC chan/communicate in-game with somebody i know, then set the place and exchange goods; or build+set up the stand with desired quantity of what i have and define how much coins i want to get for it. Once i got the coins i now need to travel for a bit (or a lot) looking for other stands, to find what i need and then to exchange coins back to nuggets.
Now, just assuming that there are relevant deals in both situations available - i am still better off with chat-trade simply because there is less traveling required and time consumed.
Hence - coins do not add any convenience even in best case scenario, and in any other scenario - i don't want coins, which i might not be able to exchange back at their face value to something that i actually need since it is currency - anyone sets prices to what they want and even coin value can over time, so finding that people now set prices like 100 coins per nuggets while i just sold my linen basket for 10 really hurts me. Realistically, unless there is an official shop (which would act as a bank enforcing face value for said coins), that i can spend my coins in - they have no value whatsoever (which is how currency works in reality actually).

Now, if instead of coins i could just assign what i have and specify what i want together with exchange rates (as in wine for food, bars for linen, steel for silk), stands actually make sense, since i can set store things i don't need at stands and eventually get what i want in exchange. So I'm with endit on this subject, and very much so.

As far as implementation/interface goes - if that is the real problem, there are many solutions that can be discussed. But from logic point of view, i honestly doubt unsupported coinage does make any sense from commercial angle. In fact, most of modern economical problems are caused by lack of money and presence of currency, i don't think there is an need to migrate these issues into H&H...
Last edited by Phazorx on Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phazorx

Postby sabinati » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:20 pm

you can put 11 coins in a finery forge slot to make a nugget
sabinati

Postby Phazorx » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:35 pm

sabinati wrote:you can put 11 coins in a finery forge slot to make a nugget

that requires skills and materials for the forge... and i just want my chest
while this benefits smiths who have forges anyway - it does jack for all others who can only degrade quality of metal while messing with it... also current rates are like basket of linen for a 10-15 nuggets, so basket of linen would cost 110-165 coins? and a silk cloth would be 50K coins? that's a lot of metal wasted...
Phazorx

Postby Delamore » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:01 pm

Phazorx wrote:
sabinati wrote:you can put 11 coins in a finery forge slot to make a nugget

that requires skills and materials for the forge... and i just want my chest
while this benefits smiths who have forges anyway - it does jack for all others who can only degrade quality of metal while messing with it... also current rates are like basket of linen for a 10-15 nuggets, so basket of linen would cost 110-165 coins? and a silk cloth would be 50K coins? that's a lot of metal wasted...

While vending stands are flawed for alot of reasons, those aren't the right ones.
Silk would be traded for gold, steel or high QL metals of the lower end ones.
Delamore

Postby warrri » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:24 pm

Also you only need a Alloying Forge which costs 15 bricks 5 clay and quality doesnt change in the process iirc.
The world I love The tears I drop To be part of The wave can't stop
Ever wonder if it's all for you
The world I love The trains I hop To be part of The wave can't stop
Come and tell me when it's time to
warrri

Postby theTrav » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:46 pm

Potjeh wrote:If Brodgar finds some work for roaming newbs that pays in copper coins

Brodgar pays in coin for several goods obtainable by noobs, please check trading thread
theTrav

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements