Game Development: Vending Stand

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Vending Stand

Postby Jackard » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:52 pm

ah loopoo, my tongue shall never tire of your bitterness
Jackard

Postby Loopoo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:16 pm

sabinati wrote:how to get people to stop posting page after page of useless crap / pointless flamewars: call them twats

;D
Loopoo

Postby Peter » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:32 pm

The only thing worse than flame wars is people complaining about flame wars in a flame-y manner. But I got that beat- now I'm meta-complaining about people who complain about flamewars complaining about suggestions.
And I preemptively complain about anyone who complains about this post.
Surprise.
Peter

Postby Seizure » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:56 pm

Peter wrote:The only thing worse than flame wars is people complaining about flame wars in a flame-y manner. But I got that beat- now I'm meta-complaining about people who complain about flamewars complaining about suggestions.
And I preemptively complain about anyone who complains about this post.

Oh no he didn't!

-insert complaint about complaint about complaint about flame wars here-
Seizure

Postby UnsubRedun » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:33 pm

While this is all nice and ridiculous, and I am in no way supporting we get so far off topic again, is there anything else to really discuss about these stands? we've already covered inventory space, how they work, why we don't and do like it, same with coins, directional sprites, etc.
UnsubRedun

Postby Onionfighter » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:58 pm

How about suggestions/requests for new sign sprites?
Cheerleader
Onionfighter

Postby UnsubRedun » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:44 am

I haven't built one yet. What does the current sign look like?
UnsubRedun

Postby CG62 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:43 am

So, in an attempt to force this thread back onto the rails, here goes:

I like where this is going. Trading really needs some new features.

HOWEVER:

I think it'd be cool to allow lawspeakers or chieftains (or members of the hird) to build special vending stands that ANYONE could rent out (paying the owner a small fee, they give you a writ to use it), and then perhaps they could charge a small tax on the goods sold or bought (x% of coins gained through sales go into a slot on the stall only openable with a key).

That way, we can have people profiting from allowing people to trade within their walls (I imagine TCoB would get quite rich this way)
CG62

Postby Cain » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:50 am

CG62 wrote:So, in an attempt to force this thread back onto the rails, here goes:

I like where this is going. Trading really needs some new features.

HOWEVER:

I think it'd be cool to allow lawspeakers or chieftains (or members of the hird) to build special vending stands that ANYONE could rent out (paying the owner a small fee, they give you a writ to use it), and then perhaps they could charge a small tax on the goods sold or bought (x% of coins gained through sales go into a slot on the stall only openable with a key).

That way, we can have people profiting from allowing people to trade within their walls (I imagine TCoB would get quite rich this way)

Why would anyone submit to that? I can totally guarantee that not a single person (besides maybe you) would be willing to pay a non-trivial tax in order to rent stall space. Particularly because there would always be the option for a tax-free market. And renting the actual stall? They don't require any valuable goods. Anyone can make one.

We already know that no really good items will be sold at stalls because of the increased risk of theft (and really good items get bought with chests of goods, not fractions of bars) so basically the primary consumer of goods sold at stalls are newbies. And by the nature of coins, they are worth very little, and will only be used for items that cost a fraction of a bar. So how would implement a tax on a 5 coin transaction? Any tax at all would be 20%, which would immediately halt all trade.
I once dreamt of crafting beautiful thane's rings... then I discovered Big Bear Bangers. Now I smash beautiful things.
Cain

Postby CG62 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:53 am

Why would anyone submit to a tax?

Well lets see...

The ability to trade within a well-populated or well-traveled area, protection from theft (so long as you get a halfway decent city to rent from)...

And the tax could be as small as 1%. I wouldn't have too much of a problem with a 1% tax on the goods I sell. I would, however, like to see barter stalls (with a version with taxes and such).
CG62

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements