Game Development: Vending Stand

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Vending Stand

Postby jorb » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:32 am

You can now build a vending stand. The stand can hold items. You can set a price on these items in coins. Any player who interacts with the stand can now buy the item, provided he can pay the coin price.

Ownership: The player who first puts an item into the stand is the owner of the stand, regardless of claims, until the stand is emptied. Please note, however, that, if the stand is on a claimed area (village or personal claim), anyone with appropriate privileges (A village member, or the claim owner) can take stuff from the stand without paying. If the stand is not on a claim, anyone can take stuff from the stand (without black skills). You'll want to build the object on claimed land. The only difference, between the stand and normal objects, in terms of ownership, is that you can interact with the stand even though you normally lack privileges in the claimed area in question (As is also the case with, for example, runestones).

The UI is a bit lackluster, but it should be usable.

You can set a sign on the vending stand to give a hint as to what it may contain. There are six signs atm, but I'll happily be taking requests if you feel you need more kinds. You can also set it to not displaying any sign at all.

The amount of stuff (Measured in number of inventory slots/Volume) that can be contained in the vending stand is determined by its quality level, quite simply.

If the vending stand is destroyed, so is anything contained in it.

It is possible to steal from the vending stand, provided you have criminal actions turned on. Payment rendered to the stand cannot be stolen at present, but that will be fixed.

One thing we really regret about this implementation is that it forces players to use the coin item type in an unnatural way. We can, however, not think of a better way to handle "offline trading" (Not one without much ado, at least) at the moment, and we feel that offline trading is important enough for it to be worth the sacrifice in economic realism.

Enjoy.

EDIT: The Vending Stands, as of now, have their own rules of ownership. If someone has put items for sale in a stand, anyone else taking them will always count as theft, regardlessly of whether the stand is built on claimed land.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Vending Stand

Postby XkrikX » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:33 am

sweeeet
XkrikX

Postby Zelacks » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:41 am

Personally I dislike this, I prefer the unique way of trading (ie trading goods for goods), rather than enforcing players to use coins to trade items.
Around Zelacks -- NEVER RELAX
Zelacks

Postby CG62 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:44 am

And of course, my download speeds have to slow down to next-to-nothing the moment this comes out :evil:
CG62

Postby Yolan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:55 am

Nice. This is good news for the future of towns and trade squares.
Yolan

Postby Peter » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:02 am

Pretty nice, I've got to say.
I look forward to having a shop in town...
Though I suppose that there will need to be a bank or town buyer that will sell coins for goods.
Surprise.
Peter

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:08 am

Zelacks wrote:Personally I dislike this, I prefer the unique way of trading (ie trading goods for goods), rather than enforcing players to use coins to trade items.

You are not alone. As Jorb already wrote, the way this forces the economy into using coins is really disappointing. However, we both feel that offline trading is very important, and for now, we just couldn't think of any other way to implement it.

EDIT: Btw., if you're getting client errors upon seeing jars with rustroot extract, just ensure that your client is up-to-date.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby RaptorJedi » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:39 am

How do I change the cost to something other than gold coins?
<Megagun> FOx
RaptorJedi

Postby jorb » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:39 am

RaptorJedi wrote:How do I change the cost to something other than gold coins?

Click the coin. :)
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby RaptorJedi » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:00 am

Thanks, one last question. Is the price per item in the stack, or for the whole stack?

Edit: Now I'm feeling stupid for asking an all, since it just dawned on me that most things don't stack in the first place except for coins and things in buckets, so why would it work that way?
<Megagun> FOx
RaptorJedi

Next

Return to Announcements