Bugfixes: Banners & Familiars

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Bugfixes: Banners & Familiars

Postby jordancoles » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:15 am

banok wrote:
loftar wrote:
Seizure wrote:So, hows Haven 2.0 coming?

Well, it's a bit as if we travelled five years into the past, when we were happy with just having a player object walking around the map. :)

So jorbtar are definitely working on a new game and no longer haven or salem?

guessing this got "announced" on irc or some such. I have been anticipating what they would be doing next. if this is true it's exciting, I hope it brings the best aspects of both salem and haven (yes salem did have some very new things haven didn't have and vice versa).

It's still haven, just recoded to Loftar's new preferences
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby banok » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:41 am

jordancoles wrote:It's still haven, just recoded to Loftar's new preferences

what new preferences?

will it be 3d like salem I wonder, would seem like a waste to now use their new tech. but then where are they going to get art assets, is this just a big patch for haven or a new game :S too many questions.
banok

Postby jordancoles » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:45 am

It will just be a rewritten haven to replace the current version as far as I can tell. So hopefully that means bugfixes and whatnot on the way
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby loftar » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:34 am

banok wrote:is this just a big patch for haven or a new game :S too many questions.

It has already been mentioned at some length here. To summarize somewhat, I don't think it's any secret that there's both one or two things that are kinda wrong with the current version of Haven (personal beliefs, the vomiting/diarrhea/whatwillyou aspects of eating, the farming mechanics, various aspects of curiosities & LP, AI, &c&c&c), so when I'm going to rewrite the server infrastructure anyway, we're going to revisit mostly everything and replace it wherever we feel it beneficial, while staying true to our original vision of the game (which may or may not match your vision of the game). Read more in the linked post.

jordancoles wrote:It will just be a rewritten haven to replace the current version as far as I can tell. So hopefully that means bugfixes and whatnot on the way

It does mean more than just mere bugfixes, at least.

banok wrote:So jorbtar are definitely working on a new game and no longer haven or salem?

This is not quite true. We still intend to continue development on Salem; it's just that we've been at quite a bit of an impasse with regards to, primarily, the gluttony system, but also some other aspects of character development. We finally had some bit of progress on that earlier this week, however, so hopefully we may actually be able to do something meaningful about Salem before too long.

The plans for the current Haven are also mentioned in the above linked post.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby talon00302 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:57 am

loftar wrote:the farming mechanics

Loftar its actually pretty decent so please fine tune any changes to farming so it's not Salem farming because that was TERRIBLE.

Simple =/= Bad

Also maybe make more armor options viable like the plates and chainmail.

Ctc are bleh
talon00302

Postby jordancoles » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:33 pm

talon00302 wrote:Loftar its actually pretty decent so please fine tune any changes to farming so it's not Salem farming because that was TERRIBLE.

If it requires fertilizer first, it's terrible

Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Amanda44 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:02 pm

loftar wrote:It has already been mentioned at some length here. To summarize somewhat, I don't think it's any secret that there's both one or two things that are kinda wrong with the current version of Haven (personal beliefs, the vomiting/diarrhea/whatwillyou aspects of eating, the farming mechanics, various aspects of curiosities & LP, AI, &c&c&c), so when I'm going to rewrite the server infrastructure anyway, we're going to revisit mostly everything and replace it wherever we feel it beneficial, while staying true to our original vision of the game (which may or may not match your vision of the game). Read more in the linked post.

I know I should be enthusiastic and supportive ............ but, the truth is i'm just worried.
Salem was a complete disaster, slow, boring, frustrating and over complicated in places, if you model anything in Haven on Salem you are going to ruin it and end up with two unplayable games.

It's not that I don't think certain aspects of Haven could do with a revamp, ofc improvements would be a bonus in many areas but ...... taking inspiration from Salem .......... :(

Please be careful, I don't think you fully realise how awful to play Salem really is.
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby jordancoles » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:59 pm

Salem is actually one of the worst games on the market atm, and I've played Koya's game. The purity update just put a nail in the coffin that was stat building.
Please. Do not take ideas from Salem.

Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby LadyV » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:48 pm

loftar wrote:It has already been mentioned at some length here. To summarize somewhat, I don't think it's any secret that there's both one or two things that are kinda wrong with the current version of Haven (personal beliefs, the vomiting/diarrhea/whatwillyou aspects of eating, the farming mechanics, various aspects of curiosities & LP, AI, &c&c&c), so when I'm going to rewrite the server infrastructure anyway, we're going to revisit mostly everything and replace it wherever we feel it beneficial, while staying true to our original vision of the game (which may or may not match your vision of the game). Read more in the linked post.

You make me concerned when you say replace. Most issues are merely fine tuning. Please don't fall in the trap so many other games have by thinking I can improve by replacing. Most of the time it turns out badly.

The systems you mentioned are not necessarily bad but there relevance has changed as you added more. It's more returning balance to the system.
LadyV

Postby banok » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:19 pm

loftar wrote:*clarification*

Thanks very much for clarifying, I really appreciate it. I look forward to the future of both games. I'm sure you can fix salem eventually, and I can imagine a new world on haven with non exploitable AI would be intensely fun and scary too.
banok

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements