Bugfixes: Banners & Familiars

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Bugfixes: Banners & Familiars

Postby RubyRed » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:33 pm

The main change I can see with curos is they should only go when people are active...

The farming is great as is in my eyes, yes adding options would be nice. (The ability to fertilize for a bonus would be cool.)

Personal beliefs could be redone to mesh with everything better.

But I do trust you know what you are doing.. so all I could do is brain storm and watch what happens.
RubyRed

Postby Cranny » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:55 pm

RubyRed wrote:The main change I can see with curos is they should only go when people are active...

This will work?. People will stay logged but afk, like many of us do now to be able to move sliders.
And if you speak about chars that actually are doing something to be considered active, well... then we will get even more bots to be able to afk.
Cranny

Postby TeckXKnight » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:39 am

An elegant solution to the issue of curiosities is a difficult one. Ideally you'll want to reduce grind for the sake of grind, which curiosities were able to do brilliantly, but at the same time discourage massive amounts of offline play, which we see because of curiosities and alts, and reduce the time investment necessity so that casual players aren't immediately stomped on by veteran players to at least some degree. The argument that bots will run and earn lp and develop themselves without players is a moot one as that bot is now functionally a player and has achieved Terminator status; thanks for creating SkyNet asshole. Discouraging botting can be part of the lp solution but it cannot be the sole center of it or whatever idea comes up will miss the other points.

The old system of grind is never coming back.
The current system of curiosities has done much to teach us of what's going on but is, in my opinion, dated and ready to be replaced by something better.
I'm sure many of us have been pondering long and hard on what kind of system would be necessary to accomplish a better gameplay experience. As such, it is safe to say that there is no 'change this one little thing and everything will be fixed' solution available.

Even without bots, being forced to be online for curios to work doesn't stop most players. Setup a palisade, run 10 clients, and have them sit inside of a house inside of your walls. Multi-clienting is already a common practice for resource gathering and the client is so unintensive on most computers (considering that my old laptop could run Haven and it was nearly a decade old) this isn't far fetched. Then of course you run into the issue that this creates a huge gap between players who can only play for 4 hours a day and those that will leave their computers on 24/7 to maximize lp gain, like we see with bots who automatically log on every few minutes to replace curiosities.

Edit: Also farming as it is needs to go and so does the belief slider. Both are archaic and, along with the hunger system, greatly contribute to the problems of Haven. Fixing them will go a long way to improving character development and the flow of the game.
TeckXKnight

Postby MrGemini » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:51 am

jordancoles wrote:Please. Do not take ideas from Salem.

Fully agree.
Greetings, Gemini & Tinkababe

jorb wrote:Given your obvious merits I'm not convinced that that's a loss, but... you would be more helpful if you stated what it is you dislike about this, and why. I can't do much with "QQstopkillinggaembye".
MrGemini

Postby ramones » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:35 am

Its just the alt thingie... Prevent alts, possibility of farmer/miner on same char and its alot already.
W8 - Hermitage
W7 - Emerald City
W6 - Gomorrah
W5 - Pandemonium
W4 - Angkor
W3 - Angkor
ramones

Postby Saxony4 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:51 am

why not just remove curios and LP all together
loftar wrote:git da mony
Saxony4

Postby TeckXKnight » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:54 am

ramones wrote:Its just the alt thingie... Prevent alts, possibility of farmer/miner on same char and its alot already.

S'true. If you were somehow to stop alts then you'd fix the system pretty handily. Towards the end of w4 is when we saw how easy it was to build up alts in the original lp system and it didn't take long into w5 to realize it for the curio system. How can you discourage multiple characters though?
TeckXKnight

Postby ramones » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:50 am

I thing if it is managed to get people to use only one char, game will definatelly aquire more rollplaying as it has now, when everyone can do everything. Its what we need :)
W8 - Hermitage
W7 - Emerald City
W6 - Gomorrah
W5 - Pandemonium
W4 - Angkor
W3 - Angkor
ramones

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:24 pm

You'll never be able to discourage alts in a permadeath game. The very nature of it encourages players to diversify and develop a stable of characters that can be used for various functions so that if one dies, you don't lose your whole progress. The question is whether this can be done, leave a satisfactory game experience in place, and discourage botting and other forms of "soft" cheating.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby ramones » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Probably thats what new siege system should allow, better auth system, better sieging and on other hand differend defences. I'm not sure, but its something that its worth investing points and minutes of discussions to try to find good solution.
W8 - Hermitage
W7 - Emerald City
W6 - Gomorrah
W5 - Pandemonium
W4 - Angkor
W3 - Angkor
ramones

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements