The Ghost of Christmas Future

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: The Ghost of Christmas Future

Postby Jesus_Smith_Nandez » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:43 am

Massa wrote:
Resture wrote:You on drugs? Hafen will be amazing. I can't wait.

it looks like poos

I agree, it does kind of look gross imho, the same gross as Salem did, but if it controls well and feels good I'm sure it will make up for it; all we've had are screenshots so far.

@Kathdys
I agree, the bugs that are in the game are still *bugs*, and it is playable without them, but for people who have been playing for so long, these bugs become more mechanics than bugs. The bugs just become part of the lovable nature of the game, and one of the differences between a new player and an old one is their knowledge of the, well, exploits in the game. Also, HQ charcoal is valuable, and it's not worth using a bundle for one batch.
HnH Videos
God bless
Jesus_Smith_Nandez

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:01 am

Massa wrote:Try playing without the fuel or leather bugs, or every other little trick in this silly game.

I would love it if we didn't have the leather bug. It could probably be fixed right now if a whole new system wasn't already in the works. The fuel bug... I'm torn on that. It certainly saves on fuel, but fuel has never seemed to be the big issue for me. It was the other raw materials for crafting that was always in short supply.

As far as every other little trick, find me a game that doesn't have a ton of little tricks in it. Some of these are exploits of systems, some are just synergy of various mechanics working in interesting ways. I'd miss many of the exploits if they were fixed, but you just can't get rid of the synergistic ones without reworking/nerfing systems.

FYI, Salem was sold and has gotten quite active again with the current devs. Where it goes... Beats me.

Bob_the_Cat wrote:Unless hafen failed horribly, they would probobly take haven down once hafen is out of alpha/beta stages.

No probably, that's the plan. That could be a few years, though.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby loftar » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:19 am

Massa wrote:Will they return to Haven?

For one thing, as I've stated before, Hafen is Haven. Haven was due for a fundamental rework even before we started working on Salem. For that same reason, there's no "returning" to the current codebase of Haven; it's just too obsolete for that.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Massa » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:44 pm

loftar wrote:
Massa wrote:Will they return to Haven?

For one thing, as I've stated before, Hafen is Haven. Haven was due for a fundamental rework even before we started working on Salem. For that same reason, there's no "returning" to the current codebase of Haven; it's just too obsolete for that.

But why rework the grafix?
Haven current has a soul, it has a wonderful spirit to it.
Albeit ghetto looking and crude as well as full of wieners, it was quite endearing.
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby loftar » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:05 pm

There are several reasons, among them these:
  • First of all, the new graphics don't look like poo and u r a fagt for thinking so.
  • The client rendering code for 3D is much more sound and nice to work with than that of the 2D rendering, due perhaps foremost to the lack of ad-hoc ordering constraints.
  • We can add more capabilities with 3D, including but not limited to rotating objects and having terrain height.
  • Being able to rotate the camera makes X-ray mode and other such faggotry mostly obsolete.
  • 3D makes it much easier to add more character clothes/equipment/animations, animals and other nice things. Having worked with 3D, 2D just doesn't really feel like an option anymore.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Massa » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:07 pm

loftar wrote:There are several reasons, among them these:
  • First of all, the new graphics don't look like poo and u r a fagt for thinking so.
  • The client rendering code for 3D is much more sound and nice to work with than that of the 2D rendering, due perhaps foremost to the lack of ad-hoc ordering constraints.
  • We can add more capabilities with 3D, including but not limited to rotating objects and having terrain height.
  • Being able to rotate the camera makes X-ray mode and other such faggotry mostly obsolete.
  • 3D makes it much easier to add more character clothes/equipment/animations, animals and other nice things. Having worked with 3D, 2D just doesn't really feel like an option anymore.

I await with open arms.
nerd
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby Potjeh » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:19 pm

loftar wrote:[*]Being able to rotate the camera makes X-ray mode and other such faggotry mostly obsolete.

You still need to be able to hide tall objects that are clustered, like trees for example.

BTW, for camera, please go Tropico style (the original).
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby jorb » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:03 pm

loftar wrote:Having worked with 3D, 2D just doesn't really feel like an option anymore.

This and the rest he said. Haven is what you have, and what you are going to have, and we consider there to be full continuity between what we are offering you now and what we will be offering you in the future. We are basically picking up the thread right where we left it, albeit a few years older and hopefully wiser. Or perhaps just more cynical?

Some people will dislike the graphics -- there are some good reasons to do so, including but not limited to my execution of them -- but for the purposes of future development, and our future ambitions, and our ease of realizing said ambitions, there is no other choice than 3D available, as it allows us to construct far more customizeable and modular graphics. 3D can be a joy to work with and in, and I get to use a wonderful tool like blender, which is fun in itself.

Also, the UI is still 2D, so from my perspective there's still a fair amount of 2D look and feel going into things like inventories and UI and whatnot.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby TheTylerLee » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:05 pm

jorb wrote:
loftar wrote:Having worked with 3D, 2D just doesn't really feel like an option anymore.

This and the rest he said. Haven is what you have, and what you are going to have, and we consider there to be full continuity between what we are offering you now and what we will be offering you in the future. We are basically picking up the thread right where we left it, albeit a few years older and hopefully wiser. Or perhaps just more cynical?

Some people will dislike the graphics -- there are some good reasons to do so, including but not limited to my execution of them -- but for the purposes of future development, and our future ambitions, and our ease of realizing said ambitions, there is no other choice than 3D available. 3D can be a joy to work with and in, and I get to use a wonderful tool like blender, which is fun in itself.

Also, the UI is still 2D, so from my perspective there's still a fair amount of 2D look and feel going into things like inventories and UI and whatnot.

As long as it's compatible with DirectX9(Not higher) and it doesn't require shader support.

I'm running a toaster here, Too many good games are ruined by shader >.>
Discord: XiliX#2791
TheTylerLee

Postby jorb » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:07 pm

TheTylerLee wrote:Too many good games are ruined by shader >.>

... ¦]
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements