Game Development: Musical Chair

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Musical Chair

Postby Yuki » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:01 pm

Using a boat also uses the new sitting animation. Which brings the bald bug with it.
Yuki

Postby Laremere » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:31 pm

Lightning4 wrote:Hrm. Preliminary HP testing seems to tell a different story, at least via manual destruction.
From what I can see, it actually still has more HP (or at least as much as) a wicker basket. So theoretically, a cupboard should most certainly survive as long as a wicker basket on pavement. Due to the random nature of decay, it could take a while before the cupboard even lands a decay cycle.
I guess only testing it will show just how hard it gets hit by decay.

Repairing with boards is still a pain in the ass anyway.
And it's still pretty risky. A stiff breeze could knock these things out, unlike chests.

The damage taken by a decay hit is different for each item.

Also, man up guys. You got a giant piece of storage, but it comes at the price of having to be outside. Build a stone mansion and fill it up with rows, and you'll have a crazy amount of storage. If this isn't big enough for your giant settlement, just build another mansion. If you have enough people that you need that much storage, you have enough people to pull this off.
Laremere

Postby kimya » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:35 pm

Laremere wrote:
Lightning4 wrote:Hrm. Preliminary HP testing seems to tell a different story, at least via manual destruction.
From what I can see, it actually still has more HP (or at least as much as) a wicker basket. So theoretically, a cupboard should most certainly survive as long as a wicker basket on pavement. Due to the random nature of decay, it could take a while before the cupboard even lands a decay cycle.

And it's still pretty risky. A stiff breeze could knock these things out, unlike chests.

Also, man up guys. You got a giant piece of storage, but it comes at the price of having to be outside. Build a stone mansion and fill it up with rows, and you'll have a crazy amount of storage. If this isn't big enough for your giant settlement, just build another mansion. If you have enough people that you need that much storage, you have enough people to pull this off.

exactly.
kimya

Postby Delamore » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:39 pm

Laremere wrote:

The thing isn't that we don't have room, it's the fact that the game becomes very tedious and annoying when so many different small storage containers are required.
The cupboard is the same as 2 chests, it makes it half as bad but only indoors.
The problem here is that it is such a simple thing to add crates if they are already drawn, but they haven't been added yet so we have to deal with the tedium of using so many small storage containers.
Delamore

Postby Laremere » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:51 pm

Oh shut up Delamore. You of all people know this is an alpha. They do things on their schedule when they want to and when they have the time to.
Laremere

Postby Delamore » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:05 pm

Laremere wrote:Oh shut up Delamore. You of all people know this is an alpha. They do things on their schedule when they want to and when they have the time to.

Copy and paste the chest code, modify the material IDs and required amounts and change the storage size. Unless there is some huge issue with adding crates (That doesn't apply to cupboards some how) this should only take 3-5 minutes to save players what amounts to hours and hours spent sorting and searching and in general making larger towns more fun to be a part of.
It's such a low time amount for something that does alot for the players.
Delamore

Postby Laremere » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:15 pm

The torch post is a copy and paste of the candle stand's code, changing a few things. They showed a picture of it drawn many months ago, but it was just now implemented.

Besides, crates aren't going to be an all saving container. They implement something with double storage of the chest, but the downside is that it has to stay indoors. They're not going to go an implement a container that has the massive storage space that would you're looking for without some downside.
Laremere

Postby warrri » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:28 pm

Why not? This is not a faction game where things have to be balanced so no faction has an advantage, or at least an equal disadvantage then.
If it makes the obviously annoying parts of the game less annoying, why the fuck not?
Also, it would have a disadvantage, requiring a huge amount of materials to build.
The world I love The tears I drop To be part of The wave can't stop
Ever wonder if it's all for you
The world I love The trains I hop To be part of The wave can't stop
Come and tell me when it's time to
warrri

Postby Delamore » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:31 pm

Laremere wrote:The torch post is a copy and paste of the candle stand's code, changing a few things. They showed a picture of it drawn many months ago, but it was just now implemented.

Besides, crates aren't going to be an all saving container. They implement something with double storage of the chest, but the downside is that it has to stay indoors. They're not going to go an implement a container that has the massive storage space that would you're looking for without some downside.

I've already mentioned the downside multiple times, you get a much worse of ratio of storage to metal/wood than you do with the chest.
A chest takes 4 boards and 4 nuggets.
A crate 4x the size of a chest could take 4 bars and 35 boards.
Why should tedium be something that is forced onto players as a downside?
"Tedious as shit" isn't the same as "heals less" "deals less damage" it's not a proper downside, it makes people quit the game.
Delamore

Postby Laremere » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:36 pm

Why not try to fix the problem instead of trying to patch it up with more things that don't really solve the problem? Perhaps all containers need to have more room in them?
Laremere

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements