Game Development: Musical Chair

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Musical Chair

Postby Jevon » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:38 pm

Haemoglobin has a bright red pigment.
Jevon

Postby Seizure » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:40 pm

You are correct sir!

Unfortunately I ate your victory cookie... You can have the crumbs though.
Seizure

Postby firemage » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:01 pm

Jevon wrote:Haemoglobin has a bright red pigment.

Correct. And Haemoglobin has iron in it!
It's true, many, if not all, molecules with iron are red.
firemage

Postby Onionfighter » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:03 pm

Wikipedia wrote:Hemoglobin (also spelled haemoglobin and abbreviated Hb or Hgb) is the iron-containing oxygen-transport metalloprotein in the red blood cells of vertebrates,[1] and the tissues of some invertebrates.

Also notable is that the blood of animals that does not contain iron is a different color. Creatures which have blood that uses copper instead of iron have blue blood. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemocyanin

In other words, you are wrong.

Edit: And Firemage beat me!
Cheerleader
Onionfighter

Postby Cain » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:33 pm

Onionfighter wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:Hemoglobin (also spelled haemoglobin and abbreviated Hb or Hgb) is the iron-containing oxygen-transport metalloprotein in the red blood cells of vertebrates,[1] and the tissues of some invertebrates.

Also notable is that the blood of animals that does not contain iron is a different color. Creatures which have blood that uses copper instead of iron have blue blood. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemocyanin

In other words, you are wrong.

Edit: And Firemage beat me!

It seems like noone has mentioned that the blood in our bodies is not actually red, but bluish. The reason it appears red when we see it is that the hemoglobin in the blood binds with oxygen. This oxygenated form of hemoglobin has a different shape than the original hemoglobin molecule and absorbs different frequencies of light (ie appears red)
I once dreamt of crafting beautiful thane's rings... then I discovered Big Bear Bangers. Now I smash beautiful things.
Cain

Postby UnsubRedun » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Isn't that an old wive's tale, and has been proven wrong so many times you'd have a greater frequency of seeing it on the 'net than a lolcat?

Ah, here we go:

Answers.com wrote:The oxidation state of the iron in the hemoglobin determines it's color; when the blood hits air the hemoglobin becomes oxygenated, so the iron's oxidation state changes, changing the color of the blood. However, the color only changes from dark red to light red, it is never blue.

It's not really blue. The changes in blood coloration you're describing relate to the respiratory pigment, hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is a topologically complex molecule that very readily binds to oxygen. Once the molecule is fully saturated, it reflects in the crimson red spectrum, and therefore fully oxygenated blood appears to be bright red.

After the hemoglobin molecule gives up its oxygen to tissue that needs it, the molecule becomes much less reflective, and thus deoxygenated blood appears very dark red to purple, or almost black. Blue is used in charts and diagrams to contrast against red, red being the arterial system bearing O2 and blue being the deoxygenated blod or venous system.

Human blood is red. Can have different hues of red, but still red.
UnsubRedun

Postby Cain » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:17 pm

UnsubRedun wrote:Isn't that an old wive's tale, and has been proven wrong so many times you'd have a greater frequency of seeing it on the 'net than a lolcat?
Ah, here we go:

I feel like this is basically what I said. Bluish and dark dark red that looks like purple looks the same to me. Granted it may not be correct according to a color spectrum, but It looks pretty similar to me.
Edit: I'm referring to the answers description, not the fact that it's an "old wives tale"
I once dreamt of crafting beautiful thane's rings... then I discovered Big Bear Bangers. Now I smash beautiful things.
Cain

Postby Peter » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:34 pm

That, my friend, is demonstratably false. For one thing, if Oxygenated blood is red, why is the blood in the body, which is largely there FOR CARRYING OXYGEN, always "blue"?
Look, it just looks blue because it's so much darker than the skin. Get a flashlight and shine it through your hand.
If your blood is blue, go see a doctor.
Surprise.
Peter

Postby UnsubRedun » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:44 pm

Nowhere in that reply does it say blood is blue-ish or even purple-ish. There is dark red, for arterial blood, and light red, for oxygenated blood. Think about it this way:

Examples of blue blood in humans.
-Hearing it from a friend/on the internet.
-In diagrams
-Some of our veins are blue

Examples of blood being red in humans.
-Everything else ever said about blood.

Anyway this is cluttering up the thread, so we should all take this to IRC if it's to continue. (And by we, I mean you guys, because I don't care anymore.)
UnsubRedun

Postby ZephNecro » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:11 pm

When are we going to have a method of seeing the building ql?
ZephNecro

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements