Game Development: Musical Chair

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Musical Chair

Postby Potjeh » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:53 pm

And if you want to avoid loading screen on cabin entry/exit, you can keep your cupboards outside if you store them in carts. Not to say that crates aren't needed, just proposing a way to reduce clutter until then.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Delamore » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Frelock wrote:You know, a cabin filled with cabinets meets all your requirements:
1.Can't move.
2.Crazy amount of resources to build.
3.Crazy amount of storage.

Sure, you can't see the whole thing at once, but if your storage problems are that bad, you can probably fill a whole cabin with one type of object. Put a runestone in front labeling the cabin "Bear Meat" or whatever.

We have more than enough chests for everything we own, the issue is that using chests when 14 of them have different qualities of cast, 8 are different qualities of coal, 4 different qualities of bloom and 10 different qualities of wrought makes you want to kill yourself.
The way I've suggested crates give them no bonuses over chests aside from the single fact that it makes life easier for the player, not the character.
It requires less clicking, less moving around in a system without pathfinding and just makes larger towns more enjoyable to be in.
Potjeh wrote:And if you want to avoid loading screen on cabin entry/exit, you can keep your cupboards outside if you store them in carts. Not to say that crates aren't needed, just proposing a way to reduce clutter until then.

This adds another 2 stages, removing and adding them to the cart, exactly what I want crates to stop: Tedium.
Delamore

Postby Jackard » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:22 pm

Frelock wrote:You know, a cabin filled with cabinets meets all your requirements:
1.Can't move.
2.Crazy amount of resources to build.
3.Crazy amount of storage.

Sure, you can't see the whole thing at once, but if your storage problems are that bad, you can probably fill a whole cabin with one type of object. Put a runestone in front labeling the cabin "Bear Meat" or whatever.

weve already been doing that, except with mansions. its a workaround and doesnt actually solve the problem
Jackard

Postby Leonon » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:06 am

Delamore wrote:We have more than enough chests for everything we own, the issue is that using chests when 14 of them have different qualities of cast, 8 are different qualities of coal, 4 different qualities of bloom and 10 different qualities of wrought makes you want to kill yourself.
If you're going to hoard resources then of course you're going to have storage problems. You should get rid of some of your stuff or set up some system on your own to let everyone know what items are where.

What are you hoarding bloom for anyway?
For the King, For the Land, For the Mountains
For the Green Valleys Where Dragons Fly
Leonon

Postby theTrav » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:27 am

What del is saying makes sense.

We had similar problems way back in lake town when we were hoarding.

While it's kind of cool having a massive room full of chests, having to manually navigate between them all is a PITA.

an uber storage would be good and probably fairly simple, even better would be an interface that let you view contents of multiple nearby chests you owned at the same time.

I don't think it's a game killing problem, but there is some pain there
theTrav

Postby Onionfighter » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:33 am

Containers with a sign system similar to the vending stands, would also be handy.
Cheerleader
Onionfighter

Postby Delamore » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:45 am

Leonon wrote:
Delamore wrote:We have more than enough chests for everything we own, the issue is that using chests when 14 of them have different qualities of cast, 8 are different qualities of coal, 4 different qualities of bloom and 10 different qualities of wrought makes you want to kill yourself.
If you're going to hoard resources then of course you're going to have storage problems. You should get rid of some of your stuff or set up some system on your own to let everyone know what items are where.

The thing isn't that we're out of room I want to make this very clear we have more than enough room for what we have, and could produce enough chests for double as much.
The issue is that when dealing with a large number of chests, it soon becomes very tedious and you find yourself spending way too much time sorting and checking chests.
I am not asking for larger storage containers so you can store more for less, I just want to be able to view more without the tedium that large numbers of chests bring.

theTrav wrote:an uber storage would be good and probably fairly simple, even better would be an interface that let you view contents of multiple nearby chests you owned at the same time.

I don't think it's a game killing problem, but there is some pain there

My first idea was to have a base that you could place 4 empty chests into that would create an interface that showed 4 of them as one single box.
I suggested the crate instead as I expected such a simple suggestion to get added faster than the base one that required new mechanics.
Also the problem scales up, because of Chernobyls size it's getting worse and worse.

Onionfighter wrote:Containers with a sign system similar to the vending stands, would also be handy.

Yeah it would be sweet if we could slap signs just like vending stands ontop of crates.
Delamore

Postby sikgamer » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:01 am

This would make dyes/paint even more awesome. Having trouble sorting your chests? Color code them! Don't know which quiver is yours? Color code them! Want some awesome looking sleek armor? Paint it! and so on and so forth. It would give more use to some items too, e.g. hemp makes green dye, flax makes blue dye, poppies make red dye, iron makes black dye, honey makes yellow die, blood stem makes crimson dye??
sikgamer

Postby Leonard » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:10 am

Delamore wrote:
Leonon wrote:

The thing isn't that we're out of room I want to make this very clear we have more than enough room for what we have, and could produce enough chests for double as much.
The issue is that when dealing with a large number of chests, it soon becomes very tedious and you find yourself spending way too much time sorting and checking chests.
I am not asking for larger storage containers so you can store more for less, I just want to be able to view more without the tedium that large numbers of chests bring.

Thats why I once had my mind fly over the idea of a storehouse/granary/warehouse/whatever. It should be a building similar to the mansion (in regards to ressources) and you should be able to store a lot of stuff in fixed crates (or other containers), if you want it so. Its a very basic idea, but I hate it that my stuff lies around on floors and is stuffed into chests mindlessly. The cupboards are a great addition, and they ARE basically something like crates, but to be honest, its just a very big chest and things will clutter space again.
Leonard

Postby sabinati » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:33 am

Onionfighter wrote:Containers with a sign system similar to the vending stands, would also be handy.

sikgamer wrote:This would make dyes/paint even more awesome. Having trouble sorting your chests? Color code them! Don't know which quiver is yours? Color code them! Want some awesome looking sleek armor? Paint it! and so on and so forth. It would give more use to some items too, e.g. hemp makes green dye, flax makes blue dye, poppies make red dye, iron makes black dye, honey makes yellow die, blood stem makes crimson dye??

these
sabinati

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements