Cut-throat Capitalism: Donations

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Cut-throat Capitalism: Donations

Postby keyn_thror » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:31 am

+20 USD donated :)

Happy Birthday!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none.
Победа не требует оправдания. Поражение не имеет его.
keyn_thror

Postby exewu » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:35 pm

Did my part for some new hardware. The lag around EU primetime is getting unbearable in the past few weeks.
exewu

Postby SinJin » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:11 pm

$30.00 U.S.D. donated :)

* I'd donate more/often if the lag and crashes were to be reduced.
SinJin

Postby erozaxx » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:55 pm

I have a decent job. I already posted it in crashes forum - I will gladly pay, but I think some motivation in this case is needed. Some kind of goal to reach when enough money collected. I am willng to pay up to 100 € two to fourtimes a year. I guess anybody will pay something according to his earnings, but some people (me for example) tend to spend money only if they really transparently see where they went. I was supporting Ragnarok online (one of our local servers) for some time and it really motivated a lot of people when they saw, that new server is just few hunderds € away... There was also a big party when the server was bought (ingame and IRL as well).

So my suggestion is - Make sticky with cost of new HW/server/speedier broadband or whatever you are currently trying to save the €s and prize we need to reach. Then update it as money flows in and even post names of donators. People tend to compete even in spending the money. That would make more people pay because everybody will see his part on the overall quality gain.

EDIT: ..his or her... should not be sexist :)
"That is not dead which can eternal lie / And with strange aeons even death may die."

H.P. Lovecraft
erozaxx

Postby ToxxicZombie » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:22 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed all the Reno in this thread...

I would donate every so often if I actually had a job. This economy sucks =(
Ohshi' it's a girl on teh internetz.

Rape and Pillage men, RAPE and Pillage!!!
ToxxicZombie

Postby ComaToast » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:45 pm

dear jorb i LOVE YOU
Here comes the kraken....
ComaToast

Postby Ninijutsu » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:36 pm

I would donate my soul, but I can't be sure it would be worth more than a couple dimes. :)
Of another era.
Ninijutsu

Postby shishikyuu » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:56 pm

I can understand that the lag will be helped by getting a better server and maybe even dedicated hosting (with which I mean not having the server in your own bedroom using your own private bandwidth)

however, I am not sure it will fix the constant crashing issues. those are most likely all related to bugs in the actual coding of the server software and the database(s) it uses. I know fixing these bugs is far less satisfying (and often more time consuming) as a developer than being creative with adding new stuff to your game but if you want donations from me and those like me you'll have to improve the stability of the server software by a lot first.
and (like others have pointed out) a clear indication of what you plan to spend it on and what effects the purchase you expect to have will also help getting more funds.
shishikyuu

Postby Granger » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:55 pm

shishikyuu wrote:I can understand that the lag will be helped by getting a better server and maybe even dedicated hosting (with which I mean not having the server in your own bedroom using your own private bandwidth)
Yes, that seems to be consensus. What i have heard from Loftar recently is that they think about how to do this without having to give up the 'free to use'.
I personally hope they find a way, but in case not i would be ok with shelling out € to keep playing.

however, I am not sure it will fix the constant crashing issues. those are most likely all related to bugs in the actual coding of the server software and the database(s) it uses.
How did you come to that conclusion?
Or maybe it's you, loggin in into a alpha version supplied for free by the creators - and through this becoming the straw who breaks the camels back?

I know fixing these bugs is far less satisfying (and often more time consuming) as a developer than being creative with adding new stuff to your game but if you want donations from me and those like me you'll have to improve the stability of the server software by a lot first.

Hahahaha.

FYI: Stability has improved. The current problems are related to way to many users for what the hardware and uplink can handle.

and (like others have pointed out) a clear indication of what you plan to spend it on and what effects the purchase you expect to have will also help getting more funds.
What you can currently do in case you donate is that you donate. There is a clear definition of that word in every dictionary.

Surely it would be nice to know where the money is going, so here is the currently endpoint of these transactions:

The pockets of Jorb and Loftar, with them free to use it on whatever they see fit.
And if you ask me, they deserve every penny they receive through donations hundredfold.

EDIT: Seems that I was wrong about the cause of the crashes:
loftar wrote:For the record, virtually all of the crashes as of late have been caused be the server trying to allocate more than 3 GB of virtual memory. It will cease to happen whenever I get around to installing a 64-bit operating system on the server, but there's quite a lot of work involved in that. (More precisely, the work involved is not in installing the new 64-bit server, but in preserving our current dev environment.)

But we all cook with water.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Pacho » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:03 am

All the money y'all donate is probably being spent on beer and wom-- hardware and bills.
Pacho

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements