Cut-throat Capitalism: Donations

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Cut-throat Capitalism: Donations

Postby Peter » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:41 pm

UnsubRedun wrote:I was going to donate 5 grand, an alley, a shark, a stab, and a guy, but mount and blade derailed me in Reno.

This is done now.
Well now, I wonder how this will measure against Toady One's donations.
Surprise.
Peter

Postby Potjeh » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:52 pm

Well, DF has a lot bigger playerbase, so I wouldn't expect it to bring it that much money. Still, it should at least cover beer and snacks expenses for all the dev sessions.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby jorb » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:00 pm

Thus far we've received about 100$. I've ordered two fresh gigs of RAM for the server, that will hopefully find their way into it before the week is out. After that I guess we'll start saving up for a brand new server.

Even though code-gnome and I work for peanuts, there are the issues of hardware and bandwidth. With some new RAM in the can, we should see a marked performance improvement, but if the game continues to grow, the hardware will at some point have to grow with it. While I don't mind spending my own money on the project, there are limits to what code-gnome and I can afford. That's where your donations will matter in the long run. Also, drugs and loose women.

I would make a joke about how this is probably the lousiest hourly pay I've ever gotten in my life, but I don't think of H&H as work, so I won't. Big thank yous to all of you who have been kind and generous enough to support the game. Knowing that there are people out there who would give away even a fraction of their good hard earned money to support this project is an immensely satisfying experience.

From code-gnome and myself,
Thank you.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Cain » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:07 pm

jorb wrote:Thus far we've received about 100$. I've ordered two fresh gigs of RAM for the server, that will hopefully find their way into it before the week is out. After that I guess we'll start saving up for a brand new server.

Even though code-gnome and I work for peanuts, there are the issues of hardware and bandwidth. With some new RAM in the can, we should see a marked performance improvement, but if the game continues to grow, the hardware will at some point have to grow with it. While I don't mind spending my own money on the project, there are limits to what code-gnome and I can afford. That's where your donations will matter in the long run. Also, drugs and loose women.

I would make a joke about how this is probably the lousiest hourly pay I've ever gotten in my life, but I don't think of H&H as work, so I won't. Big thank yous to all of you who have been kind and generous enough to support the game. Knowing that there are people out there who would give away even a fraction of their good hard earned money to support this project is an immensely satisfying experience.

From code-gnome and myself,
Thank you.

I'd like my donation to only go towards the "drugs and loose women" fund. RAM can only take you so far.
I once dreamt of crafting beautiful thane's rings... then I discovered Big Bear Bangers. Now I smash beautiful things.
Cain

Postby Romeryo » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:24 pm

If you add Moneybookers to your payment options I probably going to spend a few hundred bucks, depending on my results in online poker^^
Romeryo

Postby Potjeh » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:26 pm

Cain wrote:I'd like my donation to only go towards the "drugs and loose women" fund. RAM can only take you so far.

If it buys enough LSD, we might even get customizable colours for clothing. Only problem is that all the colours will come in swirly patterns.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby UnsubRedun » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:29 pm

I'll be donating at the end of the month, most likely. I do bi-monthly donations to DF so I'll let you guys in on the loop.

Any plans to give donators special stuff? Like, small ones. Maybe a special cape or a ring or something? There's can't be too many people giving you the bling at this point in time. I could imagine a big gay purple cape incentive would net you AT LEAST five or six more donations.

From me.
UnsubRedun

Postby Cain » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:41 pm

UnsubRedun wrote:I'll be donating at the end of the month, most likely. I do bi-monthly donations to DF so I'll let you guys in on the loop.

Any plans to give donators special stuff? Like, small ones. Maybe a special cape or a ring or something? There's can't be too many people giving you the bling at this point in time. I could imagine a big gay purple cape incentive would net you AT LEAST five or six more donations.

From me.

I don't like this. It's a donation. give it if you want to. In this case I want them to be able to buy the tech required to run the game well.
I once dreamt of crafting beautiful thane's rings... then I discovered Big Bear Bangers. Now I smash beautiful things.
Cain

Postby UnsubRedun » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:44 pm

Yeah it seems a bit superficial.

Maybe a page like DF's Champions? You make a donation and you can leave a message or something, and you'll be added to a big list of cool bros and sweet bro-ettes.
UnsubRedun

Postby jorb » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:49 pm

I wouldn't necessarily mind a symbolic thing like a cooler log-in screen, or whatever, for donors -- though in game stuff is pretty much out of the question -- but I do not want to do anything that might make it look as if you're buying a service, or as if the transaction is anything other than a beneficial donation. Just because you're paranoid, that does not mean that the men with the black choppers aren't real, and out to get you, and that wearing that tinfoil might not be a good call. After all, can you prove that it doesn't keep the orbital mind control laser out?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements