Game Development: Civilization Census

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Civilization Census

Postby Rift » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:11 pm

[quote="niltrias"]
Also, I love the civ thing, but I for one would rather see more intense and less broad effects of homefires. So with, say, 5 homefires, anywere could be level 2 and with 10 level 1, but the effect doesnt spread as far. Then you would see scattered islands of civilization with danger in between, which I would much prefer.[/quote]

When they make the map bigger i agree, in its current state though, this is more then satisfactory.
Rift

Postby Milaha » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:45 pm

it appears that a single hearth fire is sufficient to reduce the danger level by 1 out in mordor. I don't like this for the mere fact that it makes a small camp very easy to find. I am sure all the other mordor campers can agree that we moved out here to avoid "visitors" and now there is a map pointing directly to each of our camps. I suppose the locale itself is a deterrent, but I would have much preferred the locations not be so easy to find.
Milaha

Postby sami1337 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:54 pm

[quote="Milaha"]it appears that a single hearth fire is sufficient to reduce the danger level by 1 out in mordor. I don't like this for the mere fact that it makes a small camp very easy to find. I am sure all the other mordor campers can agree that we moved out here to avoid "visitors" and now there is a map pointing directly to each of our camps. I suppose the locale itself is a deterrent, but I would have much preferred the locations not be so easy to find.[/quote]

As mentioned before. This is an alpha. The game will feature a map system possibly with fog of war and such.
sami1337

Postby Öx » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:18 pm

It occurs to me that the way to civilize an area is to make a bunch of one-off alts, run them out to the spot, build a hearth fire, and never use those characters again.
Öx

Postby Milaha » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:56 pm

Quote Sami:

As mentioned before. This is an alpha. The game will feature a map system possibly with fog of war and such.

End Quote

I like that your response to my comment about the current system was "it is an alpha, please do not provide input"

Please try to keep the trolling responses for the actual trolls, I was making a comment on how I dislike the current system, so that the devs may take that into consideration as they see fit when designing future systems. They may have ideas about what to implement in the future but those ideas are bound to change over time, based on *gasp* player feedback!

Please try to remember this is an alpha, player input is still extremely important to the development cycle. My post was not a whine or a rant, but a comment. Thank you, have a nice day.
Milaha

Postby Sean_Mirrsen » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:33 pm

Bwaha, so nice to see other Russians playing this game. Somebody wrote "ЖОПА" on the landscape northwest of Brodgar. :D
Sean_Mirrsen

Postby sami1337 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:02 pm

[quote="Milaha"]Quote Sami:

End Quote

I like that your response to my comment about the current system was "it is an alpha, please do not provide input"

Please try to keep the trolling responses for the actual trolls, I was making a comment on how I dislike the current system, so that the devs may take that into consideration as they see fit when designing future systems. They may have ideas about what to implement in the future but those ideas are bound to change over time, based on *gasp* player feedback!

Please try to remember this is an alpha, player input is still extremely important to the development cycle. My post was not a whine or a rant, but a comment. Thank you, have a nice day.[/quote]

What troll? Just said that because it was already said before and replied on. Pffff
sami1337

Postby moonshield » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:56 pm

Do hearth fires in mines affect work as well?
moonshield

Postby loftar » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:03 am

Not currently, at least. Maybe it could be argued that it should, but I'm not completely certain.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby moonshield » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:15 am

And what about updating the map daily?
moonshield

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements