Game Development: Inventories.

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Inventories.

Postby warrri » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:02 pm

humanalien wrote:
ZephNecro wrote:
I personally would love a system where you improve the stat according to the task you do

Ive never played Runescape, but I think that is how Runescape worked.
Do people here have a bad experience with that game?

its not only runescape with such a game play, most games are.
the why i like this lp system, you can do what everything to gain the exp you can assing to what you want.
its kinda boring if you have to do always the same to get better in one skill.

Many games have that indeed, for a reason. Its just logical, this is how reality works.
The world I love The tears I drop To be part of The wave can't stop
Ever wonder if it's all for you
The world I love The trains I hop To be part of The wave can't stop
Come and tell me when it's time to
warrri

Postby firemage » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:16 pm

I agree with humanalien. Runescape has this system, Ultima Online has, the Elders Scrolls series has, for an offline example... And I'm not exactly familiar with more modern games. ;)
It's not exactly original and not necessarily more fun.

Using items to increase skills could be interesting, but also not much different than getting xp. You just have to choose if you use the item to increase skill, to use it yourself or to sell it. The only difference is, that you can both increase your skill and use the crafted item with an xp system.

I would like to keep LP for the raisable skills. Getting craft recipes by quests could be interesting though, if they kinda worked as a tutorial.
Would also be nice, if some kind of story could be woven around those.
firemage

Postby Potjeh » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:17 pm

If I wanted reality, I wouldn't play a game. The nice thing about numen points is that they rely on access to high quality everything, which encourages cooperation and trade.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Jackard » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:54 pm

warrri wrote:After all, thats exactly how real life works.

warning: fallacy detected!! danger!! danger!! danger!! sound the alarms, man all battlestations!! alert!!
Jackard

Postby Chakravanti » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:38 pm

humanalien wrote:
ZephNecro wrote:
I personally would love a system where you improve the stat according to the task you do

Ive never played Runescape, but I think that is how Runescape worked.
Do people here have a bad experience with that game?

its not only runescape with such a game play, most games are.
the why i like this lp system, you can do what everything to gain the exp you can assing to what you want.
its kinda boring if you have to do always the same to get better in one skill.

RS is fucking super grindy. It makes you preform a FUCKTON of worthless items just to getj anywhere worth producing shit.

The reason H&H current system is better is simply because while you earn LP for whatever you need it for you can ALWAYS be doing SOMETHING USEFUL. This ability to vary ones own task is what makes H&H like %90 less grindy than runescape.

warrri wrote:Many games have that indeed, for a reason. Its just logical, this is how reality works.

Realism!!!! Dumbass.
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby firemage » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:18 pm

Chakravanti wrote:
RS is fucking super grindy. It makes you preform a FUCKTON of worthless items just to getj anywhere worth producing shit.

The reason H&H current system is better is simply because while you earn LP for whatever you need it for you can ALWAYS be doing SOMETHING USEFUL. This ability to vary ones own task is what makes H&H like %90 less grindy than runescape.

Yes! YES! That's exactly IT!
In those "realistic" games, you usually begin with producing vendor trash.
If you are mining, you go from normal, unmagical iron to the highly magical Unobtainium. Every miner has to mine iron first, so it's plentiful. It's the worst metal, so it's only useful for noobs - who can easily mine them themselves.

When you are smithing, you first make a low DPS dagger to the high DPS claymore (or whatever). Every weaponsmith has to make daggers first, so they're plentiful. It's the worst weapon, so it's only useful for noobs, who can easily make them themselves.

When you are tailoring...

I hope you get the drift.
(Yeah, no idea about the items in Runescape, but you get the principle)

In H&H you only need to make wicker baskets for a few hours or so, until you get hearth magic. After that, you can basically start to make something useful by building your own camp!
You don't need to hunt Lvl I foxes until you can hunt Lvl X bears.
You don't have to plant low Q wheat to raise your farming, until you have both high farming and high Q wheat.

You could do that, but you don't have to! You could as well farm, until you can kill Lvl X bears!
It's this flexibility that makes things interesting and somewhat stabilizes the prizes!
firemage

Postby Reynolds » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:51 am

Keep lp. Just make it better.
Reynolds

Postby Delamore » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:51 am

If improvement of items QL was added, improving could give more XP gain to the skill than the initial creation.
So instead of producing tons of vender trash, the player produces a few items that they improve as they gain skill to even higher QLs.
The crafted items would be of value, and the player gains skill.
Delamore

Postby niltrias » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:54 am

Delamore wrote:If improvement of items QL was added, improving could give more XP gain to the skill than the initial creation.
So instead of producing tons of vender trash, the player produces a few items that they improve as they gain skill to even higher QLs.
The crafted items would be of value, and the player gains skill.

Do you mean a system where a player could quickly craft a low-q item, or take more time and materials to slowly produce a masterpiece?
If so, that would be an interesting idea.
<Marcher Lord>
Dogs! Oh god, please give us DOGS!
There are those who press on with the ardor of beer, and those who are faint with thirst.
niltrias

Postby Chakravanti » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:00 am

I think there is something to this. I'm the last person to make a realism argument but it would be pushing suspension of disbelief to just throw fucktons more shit onto something and that, somehow, making it better.

EDIT - Wait how about this. Let say i have 5 plant fibers, or 5 lures or whatever. Now, this process would have to be unlimited (but not necessarily unaffected by) skill but i could take those 5 items apart, identify the best components, and remake them into one. THe Ql of all items would be averaged, and assuming that result is =>my relevant skill the result would add 1-5 Ql points above that average. The gain would be minor, the product not useless, and prevent abuse of high level rarities. Also, this could have to not apply to base resources, or base resources would have to be capped somewhere.

This would, however, nerf the intense trade push that localization of resources gives. Some items still couldn't be affected. Like tree seeds. In fact, it could apply to finished products only. Not to mention is would be a serious break from realism to be able to do this to baked goods. Not that one would want to do it to them anyway.

Also, still EXTREMELY grindy. Again, I think there is something to this, maybe there just needs to be a balance, but I'm not quite sold.
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements