Game Development: Inventories.

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Inventories.

Postby Neyvn » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:23 pm

niltrias wrote:Japan did that for sure. Probably Toledo and Damascus steel as well. But they werent adding extra metal to a finished sword, they were, as you pointed out, hammering two sheets of metal together, folding, and re-hammering.

As a minor side note, that stage of the process is not tempering.

You sure, One sec... Ah yeah Tempering was the last stage. The method of using metal on metal is,,,,, Forming a billet which is in other words a bar or Ingot. Ehh close enough.

Potjeh wrote:I hate the idea of skill-specific LP, as it brings nothing but tedium.

Um Mate, we kinda do that already. Being used to playing games where perfection of a skill is evolved through use. But in turn it is not directly used. Its a subconsious thing. Think about it.

You play as a Hunter. What are the main skills you level up...
Weapon Skill (Unarmed, Melee, Marksmenship) Depending on which you use.
Survival (For skins and butchering)

You play as a Farmer/Cook. What are the Main Skills you level up...
Farming and Cooking.

Play as a Miner/Smith. What are the Main Skills you level up...
Smithing (and something else, don't have game open atm)

Face it you only level up skills depending on what you do. Imagine all the Newbs entering the game, they earn on base around 1000 or so LP a day if they play for 2hrs tops. Now they decided to farm first cause some nice player drops a couple of seedbags into their laps. What do they level up, Farming naturally. And what do the spend their time on mainly. Farming...

See its subconscious but you do it already...

I expect you to say next.
But Neyvn, I don't just Farm, I go hunt sometimes...

But to which I will reply.
You had a ton of LP when the Skill system started up on this map. Being able to fight a Bear with no problems cause of your high level Str and weapons last map weren't you (not meaning you exactly Potjeh) but what about that Newb that has been farming for a week. He decides to try out hunting after hearing about the large amounts of LP he can get from a single bear kill. Naturally he doesn't have the skill or weapons for that work. So he starts to gain them. First leveling up his weapon skills for Melee if he goes at the foxes and boars with his stone axe or unarmed if he wants to punch them (marks for bows). Then he learns that survival increases the quality of the skins and meat he gets from those kills so he begins to level those skills up with the weapon. Already he is grinding for those skills while hunting...

To complain about Grinding a certain job to level up that skill kinda is redundant when you look at Human nature. Even in games we improve the skills we use. Even when given the choice we would pummel a lot of points into what skill affects what we are doing first, before even thinking about that little farm we came from and the lack of movement in that skill level...

You have made a few new characters surely you would have noticed that at least Potjeh, you too Delamore...
Neyvn

Postby Potjeh » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:27 pm

I have 50 survival, and the actual LP I got from using that skill couldn't buy me 10 in it. Why should I have to butcher ten supergrids worth of animals just to make half-decent cheese?
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Neyvn » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:32 pm

Potjeh wrote:I have 50 survival, and the actual LP I got from using that skill couldn't buy me 10 in it. Why should I have to butcher ten supergrids worth of animals just to make half-decent cheese?

Uh, Growth clearly shouldn't be so systematic as it is now. I mean come on. Look at what we have now and think out of the box mate...

Its like Skill level x 10 + 100 = LP needed to level up. Skinning wouldn't be like a set 20LP to skin a Level 10 Bear. If it gives you something like 40k from killing it now days, think about if those were moved around so like you gained so much to your weapon skill and then when you skin and butcher you gain so much in that...

Gee, not that hard to think of huh. Out side the box and everything Ooohwieeeohhh... (dan da dan da, dan da da dan...)
Neyvn

Postby Potjeh » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:35 pm

Let's not forget I'd also have to cook cupboards upon cupboards of pastries which I don't want to cook just so I can cook decent rennet, and then I'd have to chop down a couple of forests to make decent racks and trays, even though I don't really need any low quality lumber.

And don't patronize your elders, boy.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Chakravanti » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:47 pm

Neyvn wrote:To complain about Grinding a certain job to level up that skill kinda is redundant when you look at Human nature. Even in games we improve the skills we use. Even when given the choice we would pummel a lot of points into what skill affects what we are doing first, before even thinking about that little farm we came from and the lack of movement in that skill level...

Life sucks and as such so should this game?

Potjeh makes the best point but it is the original rational for not making LP activity specific in the first place. The game is not diversified enough yet to make it practical.

My argument is much more permanent.

@ Potjeh, Racks don't affect Cheese Q.
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby Neyvn » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:49 pm

Potjeh wrote:Let's not forget I'd also have to cook cupboards upon cupboards of pastries which I don't want to cook just so I can cook decent rennet, and then I'd have to chop down a couple of forests to make decent racks and trays, even though I don't really need any low quality lumber.

And show some respect when talking to your elders, boy.

And you eat three times the amount of what you cook when you go hunting or if you are a miner. I mean come on. Were you yourself not complaining that there wasn't enough food being sold throughout the market place. Hmmm??? Like sell it to others or give it away. I know nearly half the miners in the world are eating apples not just for their Zero FEP result. Its cause its the only food they can get to...

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

You make Palisades and chairs and log cabins and other things to level up your Carpentry to the level you are looking for, mean while cutting down trees level that skill up too. You then replace and grow new trees in their place to level up the tree quality and thus reaching higher quality lumber. On reaching that quality and having built barrels, chairs, cabins, mansions and other things a village needs you would have enough to build some decent level racks to make your first bit of cheese. Mean while you are building more things and replacing things and repairing things and cutting down trees and your carpentry goes up and higher qual wood becomes available and you then upgrade your rack and then move forward once again...

As a smith you make a weapon, sell it to a newb, newb uses said weapon to hunt in the wilds, Newb gains levels in hunting skills, gets good quality meat and skins, sells those skins to the village who makes food that mine buys to eat and then returns to mining then smelts the bars, sells bars to original smith who churns out a better qual weapon. Takes time to temper this weapon (see my first thought on refinement), sells this refined weapon to the Newb Hunter that is no longer a Newb, using this new weapon he fights stronger animals, sells those meats and skins to village and sells his weapon to another newb as the original smith's output is too expensive for a newb to afford. That new Newb goes out to the wilds, newb uses said weapon to hunt in the wilds, Newb gains levels in hunting skills, gets good quality meat and skins, sells those skins to

There we go. Out of the box thinking got me that in... 2 minutes...
Hey looky there that's an economy in the making. Ah shock horror...

Respect is earned through actions and wisdom. Not something that is demanded mate.
I respect you as a player with experience in a changing game...
As someone that can think out of the box.... I'll get back to you on that...
Neyvn

Postby Neyvn » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:53 pm

Chakravanti wrote:Life sucks and as such so should this game?

Odd I thought I said that its human nature to evolve skills that we use in a game cause we are used to it from other games we play and so on and so forth. Psychology and shit y'know. Never mentioned anything about RL Skills (thought it is true in that case aswell.)

But yes Life sucks. But No this game should not (and is Not) but think about it. Its a Life Sim, kinda would expect it to reflect human nature...

Skill of a player evolves by playing a game untill you are good at it. Skill of a Farmer evolves by farming the land. Skills of a PC (Player Character, fyi) evolves as we choose. But how we choose effects how it evolves. That is what I am saying.
Neyvn

Postby Potjeh » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:53 pm

I've already built like 50 racks using my best quality trees :cry:

Dude, it's not that I don't know what to do with pastries, it's that I don't want to make them.
I don't want to make a palisade or cabins or chairs.
I just don't want to be *forced* to do any single thing. If I wanted that, I'd get a job with a shitty manager. At least it would pay money, unlike a game.

Also, you don't even have a box. If you saw a box, you wouldn't know what it is. Boxes are good to an extent, they stop shit from spilling all over everything.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Chakravanti » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:58 pm

Were you yourself not complaining that there wasn't enough food being sold throughout the market place. Hmmm???

The food isn't worthelss but maybe i don't want to do THAT.

There we go. Out of the box thinking got me that in... 2 minutes...

That is NOT out of the box thinking. That's what every other fucking skill intensive mmo does.

Hey looky there that's an economy in the making. Ah shock horror...

You have to spend time in the current economy to pretend you knwo what you're tlaking about.

@ your last post. REALISM IS THE DUMBASS ARGUMENT.
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby Chakravanti » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:59 pm

Potjeh wrote:I just don't want to be *forced* to do any single thing.

THIS! THIS! THIS!

MAKING THIS CHANGE WILL KILL THE 'SANDBOX' ATTRIBUTE OF THE GAME!!!

Best fucking argument yet potjeh.
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements