Game Development: Inventories.

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Inventories.

Postby Neyvn » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:01 pm

Potjeh wrote:I've already built like 50 racks using my best quality trees :cry:

Dude, it's not that I don't know what to do with pastries, it's that I don't want to make them.
I don't want to make a palisade or cabins or chairs.
I just don't want to be *forced* to do any single thing. If I wanted that, I'd get a job with a shitty manager. At least it would pay money, unlike a game.

Also, you don't even have a box.

Then don't go do some hunting and fight some low level animals, that way you skill rises and you can sell those good to low level players like I said. Nothing stopping you from being proficient in all skills mate, The system as it is atm allows that. This is the future. I remember people bawling their eyes out about things changing over and over again only a few months ago. Some left some stayed. Those that left missed out, those that stayed adapted and loved it...

Nothing ever forces you to do only was thing in your game, even RL doesn't force you. Its your choice not someone else in what you do with it. Be it a pixelised character on the computer screen, to the creature that wakes in you bed every morning to go through the religion of getting ready for work during the day.

Tomorrow you could wake up and say. I want to be a baker. Hand in your Notice for that shitty desk work you had been doing for the last three years and go learn how to be a baker. You start out small and grow to be big. Nothing stops you. If the game does take to the path of Skills leveled by doing. Then nothing is stopping you to farm for a bit before going out and killing a few foxes at the start. Nothing at all. Except you...

Oh and the expression 'Think outside of the box,' means that there should be no box to begin with. The box is a limiter and without one you are able to think more clearly. So thanks for saying I can think clearly...
Neyvn

Postby Potjeh » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:06 pm

Box is what stops you from finding out what hydrochloric acid tastes like. I'm not so sure that's a good thing.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Neyvn » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:09 pm

Chakravanti wrote:The food isn't worthelss but maybe i don't want to do THAT.

Then don't no one is forcing you to...

Chakravanti wrote:That is NOT out of the box thinking. That's what every other fucking skill intensive mmo does.

Not really. Some do like Runescape and such but they do it to the complete grindy state where you spend three days lighting a line of fire as far as the eye can see to level up one level. It doesn't have to be something that you grind with a purpose. Stat levels are not something you see in RL, but in a game its a discription of your work as a character. Potjeh mentioned Rougelike games. Some don't use exp at all, its the results that speak for the character not how much strength he has. Neither should this game require people going around screaming. 'I have 100Str, ten times better then this guy'.

Chakravanti wrote:You have to spend time in the current economy to pretend you knwo what you're tlaking about.

The current economy is still around the Barter Stone-pre copper stage. As this game develops it will move forward where coins and a true economy grows. Entering Post Copper-Pre Iron age were an item as a base value and that value is affected by supply and demand more effectivly. Perhaps a closer look might be needed for everyone... (including me)
Neyvn

Postby Chakravanti » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:14 pm

Yeah. You're a dumbass. You think that people who play runescape do it wrong (even though everyone who has decent skills does what you say they shouldn't) but you want this game to be more like runescape. You suck fucking balls because runescape sucks fucking balls.

EDIT - Scratch that, You're a dumbass because you ignored the most pointed argument. That Skill specific leveling is a proposition that is based on realism, fucked up dozens of other mmos, and would remove the very Theme of the game above and beyond the setting: Sandbox.
Last edited by Chakravanti on Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby Neyvn » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:14 pm

Potjeh wrote:Box is what stops you from finding out what hydrochloric acid tastes like. I'm not so sure that's a good thing.

Somehow you just have to change things around till you are right huh. Can't think further then your own mind. Seriously. I can see three months from now. The server has restarted completely, a Level by doing system is in. And you are loving it like there is no tomorrow. Then I point this exact conversation out to you. And you give me something like that all over again. While complaining about the change that might or might not happen in the distant future...

Besides. Someone did think out of the box and tasted Hydrochloric acid once. How else would we know not to put it on our tongue, skin, etc. By thinking out of the box, while that guy might have gone through immense pain. We learned something new and evolved from it. Just like the monkey man who used a shard of stone to cut all those years ago. By someone or a group thinking outside what we already know. New things happen faster and we learn quicker...
Neyvn

Postby Potjeh » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:17 pm

Neyvn wrote:Not really. Some do like Runescape and such but they do it to the complete grindy state where you spend three days lighting a line of fire as far as the eye can see to level up one level. It doesn't have to be something that you grind with a purpose.

Explain how is this any different from what you're proposing.

Also, shut up with the patronizing already. At least until you stop spouting your suggestion over and over again and take time to actually read other suggestions, my own included. Oh, but I guess all our suggestions are in the box, and you're not allowed there.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Neyvn » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:18 pm

Chakravanti wrote:Yeah. You're a dumbass. You think that people who play runescape do it wrong but you want this game to be more like runescape. You suck fucking balls because runescape sucks fucking balls.

Oh did I somehow scream at the top of my lungs...

"MAKE THIS GAME LIKE RUNESCAPE CAUSE RUNESCAPE WINS EVERYTHING AND IS MUCH MORE LEET THEN THIS GAME"

Note, I suck at pretending to be a Noob cause I am not one to begin with, heck I can't even insult someone with something as stupid like "You suck fucking balls because runescape sucks fucking balls." Oh wait you can...

Hmmmm, Potjeh... Should I respect Chakravanti, they are an elder, but somehow I just feel that any respect that I could have possibly had for them just went out the window faster then their English skills...
Neyvn

Postby Chakravanti » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:19 pm

Yeah he's too good/smart/experienced/Double 'o boxxy to have to address valid arguments.
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby Chakravanti » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:21 pm

Neyvn wrote:"MAKE THIS GAME LIKE RUNESCAPE CAUSE RUNESCAPE WINS EVERYTHING AND IS MUCH MORE LEET THEN THIS GAME"

Chakravanti wrote:Yeah. You're a dumbass.
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby Neyvn » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:33 pm

Potjeh wrote:an see to level up one level. It doesn't have to be something that you grind with a purpose.

Explain how is this any different from what you're proposing.

Also, shut up with the patronizing already. At least until you stop spouting your suggestion over and over again and take time to actually read other suggestions, my own included. Oh, but I guess all our suggestions are in the box, and you're not allowed there.[/quote]
Okay. Lets see.
Runescape
Firelighting skill- Higher levels allow you to use higher level wood to light a fire that does what differently to a lower level wood/skill.
To get High Level - Light hundreds and hundreds of fires which will serve no use to anyone or anything in the game. Using different wood gives you more skill in the next level, all level up points are exactly the same as every other skills level up points of the same level.
Use - Cooking food and thats it I think.

H&H
Carpentry Skill - Higher levels allow you to create different constructions and buildings at higher quality, strengths and output abilities.
To get to High Level - Construct different buildings, containers, tools and walls to level up the skill, constructions using higher quality and longer time give higher LP then that of something built with low qual and less time.
Use - Item constructed is used until that which it is used for is replaced, upgraded or sold in lieu of an item of higher quality taking its place due to higher results from higher levels.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

I am not putting you down in any true way, if anything I am attempting to give you something to work on. You complain over and over again that you don't want the system to change but it should but do you suggest anything, no not really. You camp the thoughts of others just to start complaining that they are gonna change it to something that you don't want or just out right say that it will suck. You would find that the shoe is infact on the other foot to whom is really patronizing whom.

Your idea is a pool of LP that you can store and use anywhere you feel while at the same time set skills that you have chosen to work on are leveled up from that pool to a point, placing unused LP into said pool. Hmm where does that sound familiar.. Oh yeah. That's the system we have now. Why is that a surggestion if all you have done is stuck a feather in it and call it something else...

Oh and thinking inside a box, is just gonna leave you coming back to the same point. Not matter which way you turn you will hit a wall or you will see something you don't like, turn around and come back to the same point. Thinking outside removes all those walls and allows you to adapt...

I have been thinking of this idea for what an Hour max. I looked at what we have, said hey he wants to level up by doing but have a pool at the same time, isn't that what we have already, what about this. It makes use of his first idea, makes it so that you feel what you are doing is unique to what you are doing, no matter what path you take you will excel at one thing and grow at another when you want to do that and hey you have fun. Mean while you are saying if it ain't broke don't fix it, but it kinda needs to change...
Neyvn

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements