Game Development: Inventories.

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Inventories.

Postby Avu » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:56 pm

Farming is one of the most boring and tedious jobs in the entire game and you seem intent on making it even more so. Will a very large seed bag that autosorts be so imbalancing to the game?
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby Laremere » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:04 pm

Doesn't it make more sense for seed bags to hold 16 seeds, as most fields are 4 by 4?
Laremere

Postby sabinati » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:14 pm

Laremere wrote:Doesn't it make more sense for seed bags to hold 16 seeds, as most fields are 4 by 4?

most of your fields, maybe.

edit: even then it doesn't make sense, you would want the seed bag to hold 48, unless you're farming at less than full nature for some reason...
sabinati

Postby kedrigh » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:21 pm

Lothaudus wrote:You used to just stop when you hit full inventory. Now you dig and get an extra one, which ends up on your cursor. You then have to do something with it (drop it, as you have no other real alternative). However, once you have the additional one on your cursor, you dig / collect another one as well before it stops.

it's also buggy and can freeze the circular context menus when you have one active and something goes onto item cursor.
I have rules. I never eat children.
kedrigh

Postby Jackard » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:13 pm

good to see my quiver suggestion was implemented
Jackard

Postby jorb » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:39 pm

Avu wrote:Farming is one of the most boring and tedious jobs in the entire game and you seem intent on making it even more so. Will a very large seed bag that autosorts be so imbalancing to the game?

Yes. That has indeed been the intention when we've added shift-planting, seed bags, scythes and the harvest cursor.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby jorb » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:41 pm

sabinati wrote:
Laremere wrote:Doesn't it make more sense for seed bags to hold 16 seeds, as most fields are 4 by 4?

most of your fields, maybe.

edit: even then it doesn't make sense, you would want the seed bag to hold 48, unless you're farming at less than full nature for some reason...

Nine was probably a bit cheap of us, I agree. At nine they barely compensate for the extra effort involved in handling them. 16 would make them worth it. 48 is just way, way too much.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Peter » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:43 pm

Am I the only one who suspects that the seed bag art was originally drawn for this thread?
Surprise.
Peter

Postby Potjeh » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:57 pm

But 16 isn't divisible by 3 :(
Does the bag actually have to be square? 3x6 would be just perfect, IMHO. You could make them take two slots vertically, so there's no actual extra space compared to current bags, but clutter is reduced.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Wheat » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:06 pm

If you are using seed bags do you need to use straw baskets?

It was using straw baskets to collect and sort seeds that dictated the 8 x 8 plot size. If you prefer to use seed bags then you'll probably want 6 x 6 or 9 x 9 farm plots.

I like the seed bags. They save so much walking about. The only slow part is transfering dud seed from the seed bag into inventory with the left click-left click when I want to plant grass and I don't think it's any slower than before.
Wheat

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements