Keeping you Posted, #1

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Keeping you Posted, #1

Postby jordancoles » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:07 am

loftar wrote:
jordancoles wrote:Will mining be "instanced" in that your mine is yours alone or will all levels be connected to one another like in haven?

Naturally, we will keep the caves/levels system. If anything, it would just be fun if we could think of a way to extend it further.

Naturally occurring caves, leading down many levels

Small "pockets" of cave tile that naturally occur on all levels, giving you something to mine to and explore (maybe throw in a small chest or a statue or something from time to time to give us little Easter eggs to find)

Perhaps consider floor cave-ins leading into those pockets on lower levels if you walk/mine over them (the space below appears to be hollow)

Also, cave living should really be a thing.
At the moment you can build basically everything but a ranch with domestic animals underground and I think that's a great thing, it gives you an option.

Underground crops?
Last edited by jordancoles on Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby overtyped » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:09 am

jordancoles wrote:(maybe throw in a small chest or a statue or something from time to time to give us little Easter eggs to find)

Statues are a good idea for caves, it gives us a place to worship the underground gods
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby Saxony4 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:13 am

jordancoles wrote:Also, cave living should really be a thing.
At the moment you can build basically everything but a ranch with domestic animals underground and I think that's a great thing, it gives you an option.

Underground crops?

I think this is a good idea, maybe you could use soil to make a little farming patch inside a cave, don't know if sunlight or irrigation mechanics would be considered but it would definitely complicate growing subterranean crops, or you could just be able to grow mushrooms underground that could be used as food/food ingredients.
loftar wrote:git da mony
Saxony4

Postby painhertz » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:21 am

Mushrooms, lichen and fungi. OH MY!
"I shall PERSONALLY witness for you at the shiny, chrome gates of Valhalla!"
painhertz

Postby jordancoles » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:23 am

Saxony4 wrote:
jordancoles wrote:Also, cave living should really be a thing.

Underground crops?

I think this is a good idea, maybe you could use soil to make a little farming patch inside a cave, don't know if sunlight or irrigation mechanics would be considered but it would definitely complicate growing subterranean crops, or you could just be able to grow mushrooms underground that could be used as food/food ingredients.

Maybe you could have some form of natural lighting if you could only farm on level 1, poke some holes in the cave's roof that are too small for a player to go down but are visible from the surface so people can tell there's a settlement below
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby painhertz » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:25 am

loftar wrote:
jordancoles wrote:It might be cool to tie in the burning to help with mining harder metals, but I wouldn't say that you should make it the norm for all types of mining

That was pretty much the idea.

jordancoles wrote:Will mining be "instanced" in that your mine is yours alone or will all levels be connected to one another like in haven?

Naturally, we will keep the caves/levels system. If anything, it would just be fun if we could think of a way to expand on it further. But it's not like that's the first thing we have to do anyway.

Cool, so I can keep burrowing into peoples towns and whatnot. one of my favorite activities! :)
"I shall PERSONALLY witness for you at the shiny, chrome gates of Valhalla!"
painhertz

Postby Saxony4 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:37 am

jordancoles wrote:Maybe you could have some form of natural lighting if you could only farm on level 1, poke some holes in the cave's roof that are too small for a player to go down but are visible from the surface so people can tell there's a settlement below

I was thinking maybe in certain caves they would have a crevice leading to the surface that could let in some sunlight and you could make do around that, or go the cheap minecraft way of slapping a torch on a wall and calling it a day.
loftar wrote:git da mony
Saxony4

Postby jordancoles » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:42 am

Saxony4 wrote:
jordancoles wrote:Maybe you could have some form of natural lighting if you could only farm on level 1, poke some holes in the cave's roof that are too small for a player to go down but are visible from the surface so people can tell there's a settlement below

I was thinking maybe in certain caves they would have a crevice leading to the surface that could let in some sunlight and you could make do around that, or go the cheap minecraft way of slapping a torch on a wall and calling it a day.

Haven has had magical aspects in it in the past, like wind swords

It's possible that they could add something like a bee hive for your crops with some sort of magical property that you'd have to keep up with for your crops to continue growing underground, but I'd just leave that up to Jorbtar to decide

Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby SynthAura » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:00 am

jordancoles wrote:Small "pockets" of cave tile that naturally occur on all levels, giving you something to mine to and explore (maybe throw in a small chest or a statue or something from time to time to give us little Easter eggs to find)

Underground crops?

Perhaps a troll could guard the chests and there could be a crude troll camp underground or something with special items. Also, plump helmet crops. :D
SynthAura

Postby LadyV » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:53 am

If we are going to talk about mining and the underground I have some suggestions.

The underground needs enhancement. There should be underground hot springs, multi-level caves/caverns, the addition of flora and fauna native to caves, and a most definite system to live there if so desired. There are plenty of foods that can and do grow/thrive in darkness or low light.

Mining its self as a base is fine. What is not fine is the unrealistic tunnels that go on for miles blindly with no penalty. The reason this should not occur is at some point your air flow only goes so far and you suffocate. There are no modern fans to ventilate. The longer the tunnel, even supported, there should be greater risk of collapse. We are talking wood beams and early metal braces after all. The last suggestion is the addition of loose materials such as gravel, sand, dirt that can come loose once disturbed to collapse into an area and force removal to continue.

As for fixing the fuel bug thats fine. But as a fun mechanic its not so. Having to clear cut the land or raise a significant amount of quality trees is more time consuming and tedious. Add coal, animal/plant oils, and feces as additional fuel sources.
LadyV

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements