Keeping you Posted, #1

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Keeping you Posted, #1

Postby jorb » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:00 am

As I am in an exceptionally generous mood, and as I feel a bit guilty for neglecting grind on the forum game, and as einmal ist keinmal, here's another heartbeat. Anvil and pickaxe made it in just now, along with mining from the dark tiles. I am going to make a "falling/collapsing boulders" type effect to communicate the mining out of the tile nice and graphically, but not tonight. Mining and smelting have been implemented verbatim from Haven, except the longstanding fuel bug with ovens in general no longer exists.

loftar is sawin' some boards. The saw now works and equips as intended. Meatgrinder is pretty much back in.

Quick troll sketches.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Keeping you Posted, #1

Postby ravenguard19 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:06 am

Sign me to alpha testing, omg *.*

Because we can and we will.... die!
ravenguard19

Postby Ninijutsu » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:08 am

Thank you so much for these little updates, I cannot articulate how grateful I am. It's just as good as having the actual game. Here's hoping for more.
Of another era.
Ninijutsu

Postby Petrosian1337 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:22 am

God speed Jorbtar. This is the progress we like to see :D
Petrosian1337

Postby jordancoles » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:44 am

15/10
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby jordancoles » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:45 am

By the way, please just stick to mine supports if anything...

The fires against the walls thing was sort of cool at first but it's really not that fun to wait an hour to mine out 2 layers of a wall
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby loftar » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:47 am

jordancoles wrote:The fires against the walls thing was sort of cool at first but it's really not that fun to wait an hour to mine out 2 layers of a wall

For now, we are not doing this, but idk; I didn't hate that mechanic of Salem. We're considering doing something like halving the hardness of a certain tile if it is fired.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Saxony4 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:52 am

holy shit those troll models, 2spooky

trolls confirmed monsters of the black lagoon
loftar wrote:git da mony
Saxony4

Postby jordancoles » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:59 am

loftar wrote:
jordancoles wrote:The fires against the walls thing was sort of cool at first but it's really not that fun to wait an hour to mine out 2 layers of a wall

For now, we are not doing this, but idk; I didn't hate that mechanic of Salem. We're considering doing something like halving the hardness of a certain tile if it is fired.

You could perhaps set a standard level of toughness for each level, for stone tile specifically, and then have varying levels of toughness depending on the metals in the tile.
Have str and pickaxe q play less of a role in the mining process, just have them increase your chance to mine an ore boulder or something
At the moment strength and mining equipment is such high quality that it's not exactly a manly task anymore, you just plow through any level and any hardness at the same rate.

It might be cool to tie in the burning to help with mining harder metals, but I wouldn't say that you should make it the norm for all types of mining

Will mining be "instanced" in that your mine is yours alone or will all levels be connected to one another like in haven?

Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby loftar » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:02 am

jordancoles wrote:It might be cool to tie in the burning to help with mining harder metals, but I wouldn't say that you should make it the norm for all types of mining

That was pretty much the idea.

jordancoles wrote:Will mining be "instanced" in that your mine is yours alone or will all levels be connected to one another like in haven?

Naturally, we will keep the caves/levels system. If anything, it would just be fun if we could think of a way to expand on it further. But it's not like that's the first thing we have to do anyway.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Next

Return to Announcements