Keeping you Posted, #1

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Keeping you Posted, #1

Postby Tonkyhonk » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:45 pm

loftar wrote:For instance, I do think there is a reasonable category of "fresh foods", like newly-roasted meat or stuff like that, that could and should decay in a meaningful manner (so that they can constitute a category of more "exclusive foods" that can't be stockpiled), while there should also exist states of food that are far more steady. Dried/pickled/salted stuff are obvious examples thereof.

while youre at it, please do not forget about "(well-stored)aged wine" with certain chance of quality raising with some decent int.
(also, i wouldnt mind trying surströmming in game :p)
Tonkyhonk

Postby TeckXKnight » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:55 pm

Food decay would add another layer of depth to play with and it could act as a means to an end as well as an end to a means. Some foods, especially meats, may give rise to edible mushrooms and fungus as they begin to decay and mold over. This could be a reward or penalty for letting food stew in the cupboards for too long. I imagine that as long as there are enough ways to preserve foods that aren't super tedious or overly expensive, then for the most part it won't be a problem. As you likely had in mind, the ability to jerk meat in bulk via a drying rock and some salt wouldn't be awful as long as you could load up a single rock with, say, 16 slabs of meat at a time.

Of course its implementation could also be done atrociously and force players to deal up extra food grind steps without any additional benefit or incentives other than "all of your work will destroy itself if you don't spend the next two hours managing it after farming for two hours." I look forward to seeing how you guys play with the idea.
TeckXKnight

Postby Mernil » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:00 pm

Food decaying would indeed be a good idea.
Though IMHO it must be completed with a cap on food consumption.
One shouldn't be able to starve / feed himself in order to eat tons of food in a matter of hours, and raise his stats to absurds values.
Mernil

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:18 pm

Mernil wrote:Food decaying would indeed be a good idea.
One shouldn't be able to starve / feed himself in order to eat tons of food in a matter of hours, and raise his stats to absurds values.

^^^

This... So much this.

I've also been a huge supporter of the 'stat support' diet.
Stats have the following features:
1 - Stat level (Obvious, what your current stat level is)
2 - Food dependency (The higher your stat is, the higher FEP of appropriate food you have to eat to maintain it or it will decay... Only once this minimum is reached will it have the possibility of advancing)
3 - Maximum Food Intake (One cannot simply starve/feed... You may still need to eat to avoid starving, but there will be a maximum amount of FEP you can benefit from in a given time period. In the above system (part 2) this number represents the maximum FEP you can gain above your maintenance cost.
4 - Offline Stat Decay (You cannot starve to death offline, but if you do not log in and feed your character on a fairly regular basis, your stats will be subject to decay.. Thereby avoiding the 'banked warrior alt' problem. The character built only for this purpose and kept in reserve until needed.)

The Two Side LP Bank Solution
1 - Make it impossible to retrieve LP from claims of killed characters. The claim disappears upon death of the character. I think this would be the best solution, preventing the god-fuck-all huge claims made for no other purpose than this.
2 - If the Developers do not see LP banking as an issue, then implement the above policy, and allow the creation of an 'LP Phylacetry' involving some combination of pearls, steel, and silk and numinae (rare but not ultra rare items). Make this a liftable item, with it's maximum bankable LP limited by it's quality. Combine this with a 'One Phylacetry per Alt' rule, and we have a solution that SHOULD be satisfactory to those who want to bank LP, and those who don't want ginormous meaningless claims to take up huge swaths of land for the purpose of banking LP. And yes, LP Phylacetry's would be destructible by other players, having a soak similar to that of a personal claim. The Phylacetry will destroy itself upon the death of the owner character, so for this to be effective method of hamstringing your opponent you must destroy it FIRST.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby LadyV » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:47 pm

No leave food decay alone. Id rather limit consumption. If you add food decay then the demand for food preservation comes in to play and that is just another mechanic they have to add when other things need worked on first. Maybe at some point but not yet. And until I see the new system I certainly will not support for another stage of grind.
LadyV

Postby GrapefruitV » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:50 pm

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:
3 - Maximum Food Intake (One cannot simply starve/feed... You may still need to eat to avoid starving, but there will be a maximum amount of FEP you can benefit from in a given time period. In the above system (part 2) this number represents the maximum FEP you can gain above your maintenance cost.

Yeah, because fuck those, who missed world start.

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:4 - Offline Stat Decay (You cannot starve to death offline, but if you do not log in and feed your character on a fairly regular basis, your stats will be subject to decay.. Thereby avoiding the 'banked warrior alt' problem. The character built only for this purpose and kept in reserve until needed.)

Yeah, because fuck those, who are taking a break for whatever reason.

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote: 1 - Make it impossible to retrieve LP from claims of killed characters. The claim disappears upon death of the character. I think this would be the best solution, preventing the god-fuck-all huge claims made for no other purpose than this.

Yeah, because fuck peaceful nubs, lets give griefers a hand.
GrapefruitV

Postby NOOBY93 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:30 pm

^^^

This... So much this.

2 - Food dependency (The higher your stat is, the higher FEP of appropriate food you have to eat to maintain it or it will decay... Only once this minimum is reached will it have the possibility of advancing)
4 - Offline Stat Decay (You cannot starve to death offline, but if you do not log in and feed your character on a fairly regular basis, your stats will be subject to decay.. Thereby avoiding the 'banked warrior alt' problem. The character built only for this purpose and kept in reserve until needed.)

1 - Make it impossible to retrieve LP from claims of killed characters. The claim disappears upon death of the character. I think this would be the best solution, preventing the god-fuck-all huge claims made for no other purpose than this.
2 - If the Developers do not see LP banking as an issue, then implement the above policy, and allow the creation of an 'LP Phylacetry' involving some combination of pearls, steel, and silk and numinae (rare but not ultra rare items). Make this a liftable item, with it's maximum bankable LP limited by it's quality. Combine this with a 'One Phylacetry per Alt' rule, and we have a solution that SHOULD be satisfactory to those who want to bank LP, and those who don't want ginormous meaningless claims to take up huge swaths of land for the purpose of banking LP. And yes, LP Phylacetry's would be destructible by other players, having a soak similar to that of a personal claim. The Phylacetry will destroy itself upon the death of the owner character, so for this to be effective method of hamstringing your opponent you must destroy it FIRST.

How exactly does making it impossible to retrieve LP from claims of killed characters help against the huge claims? People claim on an alt and don't die, ever thought of that?
Offline stat decay is retarded. It DOESN'T help against warrior alts because, hm, people LOG ONTO them to prevent it every now and then? But it DOES help annoy people who don't spend their whole life into this game.
Maximum food intake is fucking stupid, what is this, a facebook game with energy? Can I pay for more intake?
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby overtyped » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:42 pm

^^^

This... So much this.

Yeah i like the phlacetry idea, as long as it is bound to a player and can't transfer to someone else.
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby Mernil » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:54 pm

NOOBY93 wrote:Maximum food intake is fucking stupid, what is this, a facebook game with energy? Can I pay for more intake?

It's not about energy, it's about preventing abuses.
Yes, HnH has his magic sides, HF, Xroads, ... you name it.

But being able to build a palibasher from a fresh alt in a matter of minutes is just an invitation to botting and abusing.

Oh and abusing food consumption doesn't help noobs.
People with food are people well-established.
And food variety cutting the FEP bar make it really easy for old players to push stats insanely high.
Mernil

Postby NOOBY93 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:11 pm

Mernil wrote:
NOOBY93 wrote:Maximum food intake is fucking stupid, what is this, a facebook game with energy? Can I pay for more intake?

It's not about energy, it's about preventing abuses.
Yes, HnH has his magic sides, HF, Xroads, ... you name it.

But being able to build a palibasher from a fresh alt in a matter of minutes is just an invitation to botting and abusing.

Oh and abusing food consumption doesn't help noobs.
And food variety cutting the FEP bar make it really easy for old players to push stats insanely high.

Mernil wrote:But being able to build a palibasher from a fresh alt in a matter of minutes is just an invitation to botting and abusing.

Umm... Why? You don't literally build one from scratch, you use resources you gathered yourself in your village on your characters. You earned the palibasher in more than a few minutes, the only thing you did in the few minutes is actually consumed the food.
Mernil wrote:Oh and abusing food consumption doesn't help noobs.

Why is the goal helping noobs?
Mernil wrote:And food variety cutting the FEP bar make it really easy for old players to push stats insanely high.

First off, almost nobody highly advanced uses food variety bonuses because they have such food farms, they don't need it.
Old players are supposed to be able to push stats very high. Because they are old players. They worked for their food productions for a long time.
The only time I found myself using food variety was the early days to get some early stats.
Secondly, why is it wrong to push stats insanely high?
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements