Keeping you Posted, #2

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Keeping you Posted, #2

Postby Potjeh » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:29 pm

What theoretical foundations? Looks to me like you didn't want to spend any effort on those, so you just went with the first generic thing that came to mind.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby loftar » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:54 pm

Well, I'm talking primarily about integrating position and movement fundamentally into combat, and using direction-based attacks instead of auto-targeting as in Haven. Clearly, the interaction with position and movement is rather severely lacking in Haven as it is now, with all the problems with movement combat, flight-and-pursuit and what not.

I think the greatest problem with Salem combat is that it simply doesn't go far enough with that. There should, for instance, on the one hand, be certain movement patterns possible while "charging" attacks (the "standing-still-while-charging" is probably the single greatest problem with it, I think), and, on the other hand, be certain kinds of restrictions on free (outside-of-attack) movement while in combat. Among other things.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Potjeh » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:02 pm

The things in the second paragraph could be a good foundation, sure. But what you actually had wasn't a foundation, it was more like some stakes and cord on an otherwise undisturbed turf. I just don't understand how you could go with that into open testing, when pretty much everyone in closed testing told you that combat sucks.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby GrapefruitV » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:59 pm

I know this opinion is extremely unpopular, I even may be the only person who thinks that, but Salem combat is and always was better than Haven. Yes, it's primitive and awkward, but it has a huge advantage: unlike Haven it is FUN to watch and participate.
GrapefruitV

Postby Kaios » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:45 pm

GrapefruitV wrote:I know this opinion is extremely unpopular, I even may be the only person who thinks that, but Salem combat is and always was better than Haven. Yes, it's primitive and awkward, but it has a huge advantage: unlike Haven it is FUN to watch and participate.

Gotta agree with that one. Yeah, it is extremely awkward and clunky but it's also somewhat challenging because of that. I wouldn't say I enjoy it all that much but it's much more interesting than Haven's combat.
Kaios

Postby Potjeh » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:05 pm

Haven's combat might be a bit dull to watch, but it's tons of fun to do.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Kaios » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:10 pm

Potjeh wrote:Haven's combat might be a bit dull to watch, but it's tons of fun to do.

I don't know, the only time I've ever felt interested in the Haven combat is when I am being chased by someone. I can feel my heart rate pick-up rather quickly and it makes it exhilarating. Other than that, I find it boring. Whether I'm doing the chasing, sparring, PvE or what have you, I have never had that same feeling as when a player or group of players are chasing after you.

I don't think that makes it "tons of fun" though. If all the moves actually mattered rather than just a few, maybe it would be more fun to do. Personally I think there are way too many different combat actions and many of them are essentially useless.
Kaios

Postby jordancoles » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:36 pm

GrapefruitV wrote:I know this opinion is extremely unpopular, I even may be the only person who thinks that, but Salem combat is and always was better than Haven. Yes, it's primitive and awkward, but it has a huge advantage: unlike Haven it is FUN to watch and participate.

I can agree with this, I loved 1v1s in our mines of Darkest Afrika, you really get a sense of just dunking on kids
But that being said, the player collision boxes and the derpy Animal Crossing-like movement of players overshadowed anything fun that was in Salem
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby loftar » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:07 pm

Potjeh wrote:But what you actually had wasn't a foundation, it was more like some stakes and cord on an otherwise undisturbed turf.

"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Xcom » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:24 pm

Will there be rally mechanics in haven 2? and will you be able to aggro using punch move the instant anyone walks into your view?
Xcom

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements