Game Development: Inventory work.

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Inventory work.

Postby theTrav » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:39 pm

warrri wrote:this change really adds no functionality beside the need to store all your stolen goods for 3 days on alts...

bullshit.

I've been asking for this change for ages. If some asswipe comes and steals a heap of silk with his alt now and gives it to his main, then I'll know where his main is and I'll gut him.

Only thing left to do now is destroy the alt vault security
theTrav

Postby warrri » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:44 pm

theTrav wrote:
warrri wrote:this change really adds no functionality beside the need to store all your stolen goods for 3 days on alts...

bullshit.

I've been asking for this change for ages. If some asswipe comes and steals a heap of silk with his alt now and gives it to his main, then I'll know where his main is and I'll gut him.

If he does that he will wait 3 days wit his alt being logged of at rob till the scents decayed.
theTrav wrote:Only thing left to do now is destroy the alt vault security

Could as well just remove the possibility to steal something completely then. :roll:
The world I love The tears I drop To be part of The wave can't stop
Ever wonder if it's all for you
The world I love The trains I hop To be part of The wave can't stop
Come and tell me when it's time to
warrri

Postby Potjeh » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:48 pm

It should be possible to summon items in much the same way as criminals are summoned. And if doing this didn't leave a summonable scent, nobody would kill thieves any more. Fix tracking, and thieving is suddenly a viable playstyle, and not just something for kamikaze sprees.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Chakravanti » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:24 pm

Lockable buildings and picklocking skills (based on lock Ql and dexterity)
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:31 pm

warrri wrote:Its not about aquiring items legitimately, its about stealing them with an alt out of your containers, then trading them to someone you dont like, then track him down and destroy his village (with an alt ofc).

To be fair, though, that has already been possible for months now with e.g. carriable objects. "Steal" it with an alt by carrying it out of the plot it was on, trade it away, and you'll be able to find it with the Theft clue left behind.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Potjeh » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:37 pm

Nobody was buying liftables, though, partly because of that, but mostly because you can't see their quality.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Chakravanti » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:38 pm

Yes but it was still possible to trade non carryable items while retaining your anonymity. Now it is not possible to trade at all without being subjected to this possibility.

Even before where some were willing to trade finished carryables but not the items themselves (to bottleneck specific tech trees...be willing to trade HQ wooden items but not the lumber themselves). It was be possible to bring the items to the trade and construct the object on site.
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby Chakravanti » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm

Potjeh wrote:Nobody was buying liftables, though, partly because of that, but mostly because you can't see their quality.

I traded liftables constantly, though my reputation made it possible. I know Sabinati traded herb tables to some people. So this is not true.
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:40 pm

Indeed, that'd be very nice. There remains only the question of how.

One option we've considered is to make it always possible to steal equipped items and items from inventories by stealing from a character's Hearth Fire (which would always leave Theft clues, regardless of whether the HF is on claimed land), but one unsolved problem is what to do with characters who have no Hearth Fire. Obviously, we cannot consider any system which would make it a bad thing to have a Hearth Fire, but one thing I've been considering is to replace the "last logged out" position by leaving behind a "backpack" or something (which would be stealable from in place of the HF). If that backpack is movable by other players, then it would have a couple of other advantages coming along with it, such as the inviolable possibility to log back in regardlessly of if it is on claimed land (if the owner is bothered by it, he could just move it outside his claim). On the other hand, that would leave an enormous mess of forever abandoned backpacks by the RoB and the charter stones.

I haven't been able to think of a system that I'm completely satisfied with yet...
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Jackard » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:05 pm

loftar wrote:One option we've considered is to make it always possible to steal equipped items and items from inventories by stealing from a character's Hearth Fire (which would always leave Theft clues, regardless of whether the HF is on claimed land), but one unsolved problem is what to do with characters who have no Hearth Fire. Obviously, we cannot consider any system which would make it a bad thing to have a Hearth Fire, but one thing I've been considering is to replace the "last logged out" position by leaving behind a "backpack" or something

heh, I suggested both of those but im not sure if theyre really a good idea with easy Tracking and broken Stealth
Last edited by Jackard on Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jackard

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements