Game Development: Inventory work.

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Inventory work.

Postby Potjeh » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:08 pm

Well something needs to be done. Alt vaults suck.

I think a decent compromise would be to let you keep equipped items safe. It would suck to lose your merchant robe whenever you log out.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Jackard » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:11 pm

Jackard wrote:
loftar wrote:One option we've considered is to make it always possible to steal equipped items and items from inventories by stealing from a character's Hearth Fire (which would always leave Theft clues, regardless of whether the HF is on claimed land), but one unsolved problem is what to do with characters who have no Hearth Fire. Obviously, we cannot consider any system which would make it a bad thing to have a Hearth Fire, but one thing I've been considering is to replace the "last logged out" position by leaving behind a "backpack" or something

heh, I suggested both of those but im not sure if theyre really a good idea with easy Tracking and broken Stealth

dont much like the concept of Stealth being lp-dependent either, since thats just more bullshit grind

havent thought of an alternative though
Jackard

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:17 pm

Jackard wrote:dont much like the concept of Stealth being lp-dependent either, since thats just more bullshit grind

havent thought of an alternative though

Well, I don't much like the concept of anything being LP-dependent, since that's just bullshit grind. ;)

The alternative still remains to be formulated, of course.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Potjeh » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:29 pm

I love the ancestor worship and I think LP should be replaced with something similar.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby kimya » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:42 am

i like the development, and im looking forward to animal domestication or however you wanna call it.
also scents decaying in inventories is just about time, really.
kimya

Postby sabinati » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:20 am

Potjeh wrote:keep equipped items safe. It would suck to lose your merchant robe whenever you log out.
sabinati

Postby theTrav » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:18 am

loftar wrote:Oh yes, Jorb has adjusted their bounding boxes; they will be in effect after the next restart.

Assuming you restarted today, I think I lost my high quality herb table because of this ;_;

EDIT:

No, I just handn't loaded the graphics or something
theTrav

Postby Chakravanti » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:27 am

I liek the idea of gathering, processing & consumption of resources like the FEP system. It might be equally as grindy but it's tradeable unlike LP which creates more interesting politics.

Also, making one's stealth decay if not maintained with such resources also seems like a good idea. This way even ubers must invest time and effort into steal every time they do it.

Even so one should have to have the stealth skill (or an evolution of it) that is a separate and permanent investment to cut down on easily produced thief/murder alts and is required to make use of the consumed resources that enable stealth.

I think this might take the form of something that is spent at the time of the crime. Requiring the individual to dally a bit as well as expend the resources to obfuscate the scents.

Animal piss would be one form and might knock a few points off the scent itself or cause a few of the points to give misleading directions. False leads are in general, my preference. Fake hearths, fake charecters the tracker must track down. THe criminal would spend points from the scent (by collecting their own) to construct these false leads and (while not consuming the full scent) would thus leave scents on the fake piece itself which could be harvested by the tracker to continue tracking the criminal. These are the things I have thought about to enhance the criminal system.

I think making a direct comparison of stats to see which is better is the worst way to build a system though. It should be based around time invested tracking/obfuscating and resources expended to track/obfuscate.

As such there should be tracker buffs that can be expended.

None of these resources should be easy or cheap but not unavailable. Like cave bulbs. Or steel even, hard to produce or difficult to find.
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby Lothaudus » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:50 am

jorb wrote:
what about stuff going onto mouse cursor for no particular reason?

Right. That now only happens when you pick up stuff from the ground, not when digging, crafting or whatever.

OH GOD THANK YOU JESUS!

Err... jorb!

Chakravanti wrote:Animal piss

Sometimes, the things you come up with...
Barry Fletcher Norwin
Lawspeaker of Crossroads - Leader of Codexia - Keeper of the Cheese
http://www.rpgcodex.net
Lothaudus

Postby Chakravanti » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:29 pm

jorb wrote:
what about stuff going onto mouse cursor for no particular reason?

Right. That now only happens when you pick up stuff from the ground, not when digging, crafting or whatever.

This is False. Jorb lies. Test it yourself.
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements