Game Development: Inventory work.

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Inventory work.

Postby warrri » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:16 pm

Why dont you fix the scents before adding another way of fucking thieves up? Because despite of your announcement scents dont decay in a container or inventory... :roll:

Also it was a blessing when the crafted item appeared on your cursor rather than on earth when you had full inventory, so why the fuck do you change that back also? It was only disturbing while digging and picking branches etc.
The world I love The tears I drop To be part of The wave can't stop
Ever wonder if it's all for you
The world I love The trains I hop To be part of The wave can't stop
Come and tell me when it's time to
warrri

Postby Coriander » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:21 pm

Cleaning chickens was drag because the feathers stuck to the hand and needed to be manually dropped. A bit to much realism perhaps ;)
When the all cutting blade meets the uncuttable stone - at times, the blade is sharpened
Coriander

Postby jorb » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:49 pm

warrri wrote:Why dont you fix the scents before adding another way of fucking thieves up? Because despite of your announcement scents dont decay in a container or inventory... :roll:

When you post something like that, it helps to have some details. What type of crime? Committed before or after the patch? Have the map where the clues were left been loaded since the patch?

Also it was a blessing when the crafted item appeared on your cursor rather than on earth when you had full inventory, so why the fuck do you change that back also? It was only disturbing while digging and picking branches etc.

Unintentional, but loftar had no better way of doing it, apparently. Expect it to change back.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:51 pm

warrri wrote:Why dont you fix the scents before adding another way of fucking thieves up? Because despite of your announcement scents dont decay in a container or inventory...

That sounds odd; in all tests I have made, they have decayed properly. Are you really sure that you're not just mistaking the time it takes for them to decay?

It should be mentioned that the scents that existed before the change was added only start counting their decay from the time they were loaded after we made them decay, so even if you had a really old Theft stench that was in an inventory loaded today, it won't decay until 4 ingame days from then.

warrri wrote:Also it was a blessing when the crafted item appeared on your cursor rather than on earth when you had full inventory, so why the fuck do you change that back also? It was only disturbing while digging and picking branches etc.

I know, but it was hard to preserve while also removing that functionality from picked branches &c., and the latter seemed more important for now. I've always been using the same function to place all those things into the character's inventory, so I'll have to invent some reasonable model to differentiate between them.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Jaltos » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:55 pm

loftar wrote:I know, but it was hard to preserve while also removing that functionality from picked branches &c., and the latter seemed more important for now. I've always been using the same function to place all those things into the character's inventory, so I'll have to invent some reasonable model to differentiate between them.

Why don't you add action labels? For example, add a variable for actions, where if it's crafting or gathering, it changes the value of that variable, and you can refer to it to know what you have done so that with a simple "if", you can change the reaction completly.
Jaltos

Postby warrri » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:01 pm

loftar wrote:
warrri wrote:Why dont you fix the scents before adding another way of fucking thieves up? Because despite of your announcement scents dont decay in a container or inventory...

That sounds odd; in all tests I have made, they have decayed properly. Are you really sure that you're not just mistaking the time it takes for them to decay?

It should be mentioned that the scents that existed before the change was added only start counting their decay from the time they were loaded after we made them decay, so even if you had a really old Theft stench that was in an inventory loaded today, it won't decay until 4 ingame days from then.

warrri wrote:Also it was a blessing when the crafted item appeared on your cursor rather than on earth when you had full inventory, so why the fuck do you change that back also? It was only disturbing while digging and picking branches etc.

I know, but it was hard to preserve while also removing that functionality from picked branches &c., and the latter seemed more important for now. I've always been using the same function to place all those things into the character's inventory, so I'll have to invent some reasonable model to differentiate between them.

Isnt the decay time the same for every scent, just that there are 40 or so murder scents at once but only 11 theft so that it takes longer until a murder cant be tracked? Nevertheless i picked up 2x30 murder scents from foofighter, and about 12 hours later they were still 30. These crimes were committed two days ago.

About the craft thingy, someone made the suggestion to remove the items used for crafting first, thus making space in inventory, and then add the crafted item. Wouldnt this work?
The world I love The tears I drop To be part of The wave can't stop
Ever wonder if it's all for you
The world I love The trains I hop To be part of The wave can't stop
Come and tell me when it's time to
warrri

Postby jorb » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Jaltos wrote:with a simple "if", you can change the reaction completly.

I'm sure loftar needs if-statements explained to him. :)
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:05 pm

Jaltos wrote:Why don't you add action labels? For example, add a variable for actions, where if it's crafting or gathering, it changes the value of that variable, and you can refer to it to know what you have done so that with a simple "if", you can change the reaction completly.

Hehe, you know, I think I can handle the implementation part of it myself. :) The problem lies rather with defining what kind of differences between item placement I even wish to be able to make in the first place, and I would not particularly like defining such high-level abstractions as "crafting" or "gathering" in such a low-level function; it would be a obvious breach of layering (not that I've been all that strict with layering, but that's just going too far).

Don't worry, I'll be able to do it. :)
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby jorb » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:06 pm

warrri wrote:Isnt the decay time the same for every scent, just that there are 40 or so murder scents at once but only 11 theft so that it takes longer until a murder cant be tracked? Nevertheless i picked up 2x30 murder scents from foofighter, and about 12 hours later they were still 30. These crimes were committed two days ago.

Murder scents decay after two in-game weeks. That is to say, about five real days. :)

jorb

Postby Potjeh » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:13 pm

But seriously, what happened to newly crafted items using space that their components used to occupy? It worked like that before, and I can't think of a single reason why it shouldn't work like that again.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements