Game Development: Inventory work.

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Inventory work.

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:21 pm

Potjeh wrote:But seriously, what happened to newly crafted items using space that their components used to occupy? It worked like that before, and I can't think of a single reason why it shouldn't work like that again.

Well, it used to work, but it was implemented in a rather ugly manner, and it stopped working when I removed a seemingly needless piece of code in one of my clean-up sessions. I know that it should be fixed, but I just haven't bothered yet... :P
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Jaltos » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:27 pm

Don't get me wrong loftar. I know you're able to do anything on this game. Heck, I wouldn't never be able to do all that you done.

I'm just talking my mind, how I would do it. I must have misunderstood your problem too. Anyway, keep up the good work!
Jaltos

Postby warrri » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:29 pm

jorb wrote:
warrri wrote:Isnt the decay time the same for every scent, just that there are 40 or so murder scents at once but only 11 theft so that it takes longer until a murder cant be tracked? Nevertheless i picked up 2x30 murder scents from foofighter, and about 12 hours later they were still 30. These crimes were committed two days ago.

Murder scents decay after two in-game weeks. That is to say, about five real days. :)

Are you speaking of the full stack (about 40 after a freshly done murder) or each single scent from that stack? The latter would take about 200 days which i cant imagine, but if its the first it means what i wrote, each single scent no matter what crime decays at the same speed, just that there are more scents in a stack of murder than in a stack of theft etc. Nevertheless i didnt lose a single scent from a murder stack.
The world I love The tears I drop To be part of The wave can't stop
Ever wonder if it's all for you
The world I love The trains I hop To be part of The wave can't stop
Come and tell me when it's time to
warrri

Postby Potjeh » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:30 pm

AFAIK scents were never meant to decay one use at a time, but whole stacks at once.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:31 pm

warrri wrote:Are you speaking of the full stack (about 40 after a freshly done murder) or each single scent from that stack?

I think you've misunderstood the mechanics. It isn't a "stack" of scents; it is one scent with 40 uses. The scent itself decays either after two in-game weeks, or after its use-count has been depleted. One could argue that the use-count should decay over time, but that's another question.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby jorb » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:34 pm

They aren't "stacks". They are one item with a number of uses. We call them clues. Clues decay at different speeds depending on what type of crime they represent, completely unrelated to how many uses they still have left in them.

Trespassing, after one in-game day;
Assault, after two in-game days;
Theft, after four in-game days;
Battery, after four in-game days;
Vandalism, after six in-game days; and
Murder, after two in-game weeks.

Beaten to it, but hey, I meant to post.

Edit: Completed the scent list.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Jaltos » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:35 pm

Arg! Jorb went from a watchman to a demon! We're all going to die!
Jaltos

Postby warrri » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:42 pm

loftar wrote:
warrri wrote:Are you speaking of the full stack (about 40 after a freshly done murder) or each single scent from that stack?

I think you've misunderstood the mechanics. It isn't a "stack" of scents; it is one scent with 40 uses. The scent itself decays either after two in-game weeks, or after its use-count has been depleted. One could argue that the use-count should decay over time, but that's another question.

Are you REALLY sure on this.. picking up the scents yesterday i had a scent with 30 uses, or a stack of 30 scents at once, no difference.
Picking them up now (about 24 hours later) its 23 each stack, after droppiung them out of inventory and picking them up again its still 23, so they dont get used up from the "stack" on the ground.

I had the same after goons raided my town. When i picked them up it was 11 scents per theft stack, a day later only 3 per stack, while the ones in containers didnt decay. And no, no one picked those scents beside me.
warrri

Postby warrri » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:44 pm

jorb wrote:They aren't "stacks". They are one item with a number of uses. We call them clues. Clues decay at different speeds depending on what type of crime they represent, completely unrelated to how many uses they still have left in them.

Trespassing, after one in-game day;
Assault, after two in-game days;
Theft, after four in-game days;
Battery, after four in-game days;
Vandalism, after six in-game days; and
Murder, after two in-game weeks.

Beaten to it, but hey, I meant to post.

Edit: Completed the scent list.

Thats what you want it to, but its not working that way, 100% sure on this.
And if you dont believe me spawn at my position and pick them up yourself now and in 6 hours..
And dont forget to pick some theft scents from codexia, im sure they only have about 2 uses per stack right now..
warrri

Postby Caradon » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:22 pm

Coriander wrote:Cleaning chickens was drag because the feathers stuck to the hand and needed to be manually dropped. A bit to much realism perhaps ;)

So that explains who raped the maple tree.
Trolls- Dont argue with it, Don't reason with it, Just DOMINATE! Southpark S10-E5
Caradon

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements