Game Development: Inventory work.

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Inventory work.

Postby theTrav » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:46 pm

Chakravanti wrote:No, this kills whatever scrap of trade was left btw. I t will happenuntil newbies catchon.

This is perhaps an exaggeration IMO... Some people will be more cautious in trading and reputation will be more important.

Woo on the cows changing being a sign of animal domestication in progress!
theTrav

Postby Jackard » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:47 pm

wanna ride those aurochs
Jackard

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:49 pm

Chakravanti wrote:No, this kills whatever scrap of trade was left btw. I t will happenuntil newbies catchon. The only safety anyone has right now is to be hidden. There is no authority in the world that will arbitrate justice. And if you want to point out Xanadu's Lack of assisting me because I betrayed them this is impertinent. They couldn't even if they were willing (or even existed).

I don't really get it. Why would the fact that stolen items are now trackable prevent trade? Functionality has obviously only been added to the scents; not removed.

Are you, by any chance, referring to the fact that the scents decay? In that case, that has been so for a week now and is covered by another announcement thread.

Chakravanti wrote:Also, pointed question. If I buy, say, silk thread, or linen and craft/build it to something else is the new item trackable by the scent?

Nope; at least not using this system.

Jackard wrote:wanna ride those aurochs

Yeah, me too. ;)
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby theTrav » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Oh, with the new inability to place things in black space, herbalist tables become a far greater PITA, as their shift click mode wastes HEAPS of space
theTrav

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:50 pm

theTrav wrote:Oh, with the new inability to place things in black space, herbalist tables become a far greater PITA, as their shift click mode wastes HEAPS of space

Oh yes, Jorb has adjusted their bounding boxes; they will be in effect after the next restart.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Jackard » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:51 pm

im guessing he means theres no way to tell if an item is "hot"

if you wanted to track someone down, you can steal your own goods before trading them to the target
Jackard

Postby Chakravanti » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:56 pm

What Jackard said.

@ theTrav =- Very true. Reputation is considerably more important. Unfortunately this also means there will be no 'merchant' class (i.e. wealthy but weak, like innsmouth). And, thus, no one will be providing metals to newbies. I have made an attempt with Moria to counter this as you know but this does not make metals available to newbies who do not choose to join the new village when it's up and running.
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby theTrav » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:09 pm

Chakravanti wrote:And, thus, no one will be providing metals to newbies.

Brodgar pays for linen in coin and trades 100 coin for a bar of copper.

Brodgaran copper is not hot.
theTrav

Postby jorb » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:21 pm

If I had a penny for every time I had heard someone make a sweeping statement to the tune of "New development X will kill old player behavior Y" that then turned out to be completely inaccurate, I would be a rich man.

Off the top of my head -- without basing it on much of anything -- 99% of all items in the game were acquired completely legitimately, and are perfectly "safe to trade" (the quotation marks are there to underscore the fact that I find the notion that trade is now unsafe *completely* absurd). Furthermore the idea that there are zounds of armed to the teeth brick-wall bashing hooligans out there, pissed because they got robbed, and ready to track down anyone and anything to get their apple pies and carrot cakes back, is, frankly, absurd.

This will not hurt trading in any way what so ever. If I were still trading I would, much like a real merchant, only factor this in if I had some external reason to get suspicious. Also, I would not hesitate to buy stolen goods on a don't ask don't tell policy as long as they weren't anything of major importance like silk robes or high q rings or whatever. Pies will be gone before anyone tracks them down anyway.

Stop spouting nonsense.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby warrri » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:35 pm

jorb wrote:Off the top of my head -- without basing it on much of anything -- 99% of all items in the game were acquired completely legitimately, and are perfectly "safe to trade" (the quotation marks are there to underscore the fact that I find the notion that trade is now unsafe *completely* absurd). Furthermore the idea that there are zounds of armed to the teeth brick-wall bashing hooligans out there, pissed because they got robbed, and ready to track down anyone and anything to get their apple pies and carrot cakes back, is, frankly, absurd.

This will not hurt trading in any way what so ever. If I were still trading I would, much like a real merchant, only factor this in if I had some external reason to get suspicious. Also, I would not hesitate to buy stolen goods on a don't ask don't tell policy as long as they weren't anything of major importance like silk robes or high q rings or whatever. Pies will be gone before anyone tracks them down anyway.

Stop spouting nonsense.

Its not about aquiring items legitimately, its about stealing them with an alt out of your containers, then trading them to someone you dont like, then track him down and destroy his village (with an alt ofc).

True, this will not hurt the lower levels trading, but the people who live in the outback and dont have their location pointed on maplib because they dont wont to be found, can never be secure.
However this is also easy counterable, you just need many alts to store everything you traded for 3 days, waiting till the scents, if there were any, decayed.
Also there are already enough scents when someone plunders a village, this change really adds no functionality beside the need to store all your stolen goods for 3 days on alts...
The world I love The tears I drop To be part of The wave can't stop
Ever wonder if it's all for you
The world I love The trains I hop To be part of The wave can't stop
Come and tell me when it's time to
warrri

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements