The Ghost of Christmas Future, II

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: The Ghost of Christmas Future, II

Postby Brás » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:37 pm

Kind of late for the talk, but is C/C++ and OpenGL so non-portable? I mean, you guys are using jogl and from my experience (simple scenes) it's pretty straight forward to modify C++ OpenGL code to compile on this or that OS.
Brás

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:44 am

Server is in C, not C++. Client is in Java using the JOGL API.

Java and OpenGL are only as portable as the system the libraries and drivers are implemented for. Lacking either a proper Java SE virtual engine or proper OpenGL drivers for video processing, you won't be able to run Haven. If you have both of those, you should be able to run Haven even if your operating system is from 1982.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby loftar » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:20 am

Brás wrote:Kind of late for the talk, but is C/C++ and OpenGL so non-portable? I mean, you guys are using jogl and from my experience (simple scenes) it's pretty straight forward to modify C++ OpenGL code to compile on this or that OS.

What is it that you want it ported to? It already runs on (at least) Windows, OSX and Linux. And the client is, indeed, Java, not C/C++.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby sabinati » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:53 am

i think he wants the client to be not java for some reason?
sabinati

Postby Myzreal » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:55 am

He's probably one of those people who think that a 2% performance increase constitutes a complete client rehaul from a language he dislikes to the one he likes.
Paste me to get hacked: http://a/%%30%30
Myzreal

Postby kBre » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:04 am

Hey everyone,
first of all, sorry if this has been asked before, but 250+ pages is a bit much to read.

I really enjoyed H&H but unfortunately it was pretty much impossible to play for me since I have a router that's appareantly not compatible with the game somehow (to this day, I'm not sure how exactly it works).

Anyways, my question is, do you (the devs) know about this issue? And if you do, will it be fixed in the new game?

Thanks for reading, thanks for all the great work and hopefully I'll be able to see you all at launch.
kBre

Postby Flameturtle » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:29 am

kBre wrote:Hey everyone,
first of all, sorry if this has been asked before, but 250+ pages is a bit much to read.

I really enjoyed H&H but unfortunately it was pretty much impossible to play for me since I have a router that's appareantly not compatible with the game somehow (to this day, I'm not sure how exactly it works).

Anyways, my question is, do you (the devs) know about this issue? And if you do, will it be fixed in the new game?

Thanks for reading, thanks for all the great work and hopefully I'll be able to see you all at launch.

Unless you've taken the time to specifically tell them about it, probably not. Try the bugs forum if you want the current version working, if there's fiddling with your router to be done (though that seems unlikely), someone should be able to help. If not then Hafen might just end up working fine for you.
Flamturtle's Haven & Hearth 2.0 Combat Guide! http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40466 - Remade for its 5th Anniversary!
PM to Contact.
Flameturtle

Postby kBre » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:39 am

Flameturtle wrote:
kBre wrote:Hey everyone,

Unless you've taken the time to specifically tell them about it, probably not. Try the bugs forum if you want the current version working, if there's fiddling with your router to be done (though that seems unlikely), someone should be able to help. If not then Hafen might just end up working fine for you.

Thanks for the quick reply. When I was having this issue, I tried fixing it for literally weeks (mind you, that was about a year ago). I posted in the bug section back then and came to the conclusion that the game just won't run with my router.
I'm not sure if the devs frequent the bug forums so that's why I asked here. I really hope that the problem won't persist in the new game. I'm really looking forward to playing.
kBre

Postby borka » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:59 am

yeah kBre i remember your misery - the Devs know about the troubles with certain router models some ppl had - hopefully with the new game and clients it gets solved for you and you'll be able to play as you like - see you on friday :)
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby burgingham » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:39 am

Was that a Telekom router by any chance? I remember I had that issue but was able to fix it. I can try and dig up the forum posts I made about it if that is the case.
burgingham

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements