The Ghost of Christmas Future, II

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: The Ghost of Christmas Future, II

Postby loftar » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:55 pm

ArvinJA wrote:Weird QoS or something some other "feature" that could possibly be turned off?

There have been troubles in the past with IPv4 packet fragmentation, but I'd like to think I've adapted the MTU to avoid that.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby painhertz » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:58 pm

loftar wrote:
ArvinJA wrote:Weird QoS or something some other "feature" that could possibly be turned off?

There have been troubles in the past with IPv4 packet fragmentation, but I'd like to think I've adapted the MTU to avoid that.

Loftar, do you dream in digital?
"I shall PERSONALLY witness for you at the shiny, chrome gates of Valhalla!"
painhertz

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:41 pm

Since it came up here, and i know loftar still posts in the Salem forums from time to time on tech support issues and is otherwise helping out Mortal Moments with various issues, I'm going to post a link to it here. One of the users there thinks he's seen an issue that might help solve the problem.

http://forum.salemthegame.com/viewtopic ... 88#p226097
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Brás » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:43 am

loftar wrote:
Brás wrote:Kind of late for the talk, but is C/C++ and OpenGL so non-portable? I mean, you guys are using jogl and from my experience (simple scenes) it's pretty straight forward to modify C++ OpenGL code to compile on this or that OS.

What is it that you want it ported to? It already runs on (at least) Windows, OSX and Linux. And the client is, indeed, Java, not C/C++.

You mentioned a few posts back that you disliked Java as a language, but liked the VM. Since you used C for the server I was wondering what made you pick Java for the client, and I assumed portability. That being, I was asking if C/C++ and OpenGL had any portability issues (I have minimal experience with porting C++ OpenGL/AL code from Windows to Linux), but now I realize you may have chosen Java for something other than portability.

Myzreal wrote:He's probably one of those people who think that a 2% performance increase constitutes a complete client rehaul from a language he dislikes to the one he likes.

You're probably one of those people who make assumptions about others based on a nothing but your imagination.
Brás

Postby loftar » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:24 am

Brás wrote:You mentioned a few posts back that you disliked Java as a language, but liked the VM. Since you used C for the server I was wondering what made you pick Java for the client, and I assumed portability. That being, I was asking if C/C++ and OpenGL had any portability issues (I have minimal experience with porting C++ OpenGL/AL code from Windows to Linux), but now I realize you may have chosen Java for something other than portability.

Sure; originally, I wanted it mainly for Java Web Start though, of course, Oracle's certificate faggotry has made me regret that by now. I've come to appreciate a few other things with Java, though, perhaps most particularly portable loading of extra code. While not impossible to achieve in C, of course, it would be a lot more work.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:22 am

I know loftar isn't much for modern conveniences MS VS when it comes to coding, but some of the new commercial products are capable of porting code between different platforms with minimal work from the developer. How well they do it, I don't know yet.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Previous

Return to Announcements