The Ghost of Christmas Future, II

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: The Ghost of Christmas Future, II

Postby bmjclark » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:53 am

Been lurking on the forums for the past couple of weeks waiting for a ghost of christmas future 2 and it was totally worth it :P. It looks great, can't wait to play :)
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby Telakh » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:39 pm

Yea, while the rest looks awesome, presented combat system looks kind of weird.
It looks more like a H&H system rather then Salem. Could you please reveal some plans on combat development? Especially when engaging parties count more than one person.
Last edited by Telakh on Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The will to do, the soul to dare.
Time Paradox gaming community.
Telakh

Postby ArvinJA » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:45 pm

Loving the hard outlines of the gobs, makes it look more "drawn". I don't why, might be because of the trees but the video also reminded me of the Pettson & Findus games.

Also, this is how I imagine the riding scene came about.
The low life has lost its appeal
And I'm tired of walking these streets
To a room with its cupboards bare
ArvinJA

Postby Tonkyhonk » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:14 pm

wordless... it's just amazing. thank you, jorb and loftar.

btw, I cant really tell whats happening at the last part of the video. i mean, i see its combat, but can you change the view or something to see it a bit more clearly?
Tonkyhonk

Postby Astarisk » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:16 pm

Looks nice =o
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby Robertzon » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:24 pm

Awesome
Robertzon

Postby ArvinJA » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:46 pm

Oddity wrote:
loftar wrote:
RedRabbit wrote:Will darkness still be a huge limiting factor? seems like you can see fairly easily when in the mine, and at the closest look we get of night.

It is generally intended to be light enough to make people not require lighthacks. As long as the server can't strictly enforce it, darkness as limitation is pretty pointless anyway.

But if you made it so the server only sent the client objects that have enough light on them to "see", it would be really cool 8-)

Yeah, I too wonder why there's no server-side light radius. I get that "half visible" objects can be lighthacked client side, but in the dark and scary underground one could limit the light radius on the server for sure.
The low life has lost its appeal
And I'm tired of walking these streets
To a room with its cupboards bare
ArvinJA

Postby Kathdys » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:56 pm

I can think of a few ways to discourage going into a mine without a light source... mostly revolving around having monsters spawn or status effects appear on a character that would be staggering around blindly if not for client-side hacks. Hacking the client to make it easier for the player to see is not going to stop spiders, bats, rats, trolls, grues, and bogeymen... Though it may ruin the visual effects.
Kathdys

Postby Scilly_guy » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:02 pm

You implemented a darkness system in salem that had the effect Kathdys mentions, and that was for the whole world not just caves/mines.
Scilly_guy

Postby loftar » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:53 pm

ArvinJA wrote:
Oddity wrote:But if you made it so the server only sent the client objects that have enough light on them to "see", it would be really cool 8-)

Yeah, I too wonder why there's no server-side light radius. I get that "half visible" objects can be lighthacked client side, but in the dark and scary underground one could limit the light radius on the server for sure.

Well, there are at least three reasons for that:
  • For one thing, I'm not sure the necessary server-side calculations can be done cheaply enough. I haven't yet found a way to do so, at least.
  • Even if they could, however, light-hacks would still prevail since you could see the objects precisely when the server decided to send them instead of needing to see them fade in from the dark as you approach them further.
  • Even if you ignore those things, light-hacks would still be far too useful simply for being able to see the tiles, regardless of any objects.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements