The Ghost of Christmas Future, II

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: The Ghost of Christmas Future, II

Postby loftar » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:24 pm

overtyped wrote:Bob dole recommends that you die.

Using subjunctive forms just made Bob Dole rise a bit in my eyes.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby overtyped » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:13 am

loftar wrote:
overtyped wrote:Bob dole recommends that you die.

Using subjunctive forms just made Bob Dole rise a bit in my eyes.

What did loftar think of bob dole before ?? He is the epitome of elegance and grace, are you saying he hath transcended perfection?
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby TAURION » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:18 pm

TeckXKnight wrote:
loftar wrote:
Potjeh wrote:I don't see a single reason why LP invested into a claim should be refundable in any way.

IIRC, the original reason was to make it possible to "modify" a claim, quite simply, as there's no support for shrinking them. That's the only reason I still consider (somewhat) valid; they were certainly not intended as LP banks. And I'm sure that can be worked out some other way, for sure.

Would it be possible so that only the original creating character could be refunded any lp from a claim and inheritors could earn nothing? That would strip away any ability to bank lp there as the whole point is to avoid the lp loss on death.
I think better make LP converts forever to CP-claim points, that can be refunded only as CP when u resizing claim, and inherited maybe with 5% loss after death? Anyway it not gives any LP, only CP that used for claiming nothing more.
TAURION

Postby Baldarich » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:00 pm

My penis is filled with ancient blood. Hype.
Teleskop wrote:if the chance to win a lottery is 1 to 1 000 000 it doesnt mean im any closer to winning after buying 1 000 000 tickets
Baldarich

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:32 pm

TAURION wrote:Would it be possible so that only the original creating character could be refunded any lp from a claim and inheritors could earn nothing? That would strip away any ability to bank lp there as the whole point is to avoid the lp loss on death.

Frankly there needs to be three mechanics implemented for personal claims:
1 - Manufactured/Foraged objects that get put into the claim-post, costing more with each increase in sq/m.
2 - Upkeep required in the form of Personal Authority
3 - No scents left once the authority ran out, just like villages.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Reeyfer » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:29 am

Jackard wrote:MMO was your first mistake. maybe you should play better games, friend.

what in particular draws you to haven?

Everything else other than the combat, basically. And yeah, I get that that's a thing with MMOs, and it's caused me to quit many over the years. Some are starting to fix it to some degree, but mostly while paring off other systems (and let's be honest, none have the same depth as Haven anyway, even before they start cutting things in favour of a more exciting combat system). I probably wouldn't ever play them at all if it wasn't for how very much I love the underlying idea of MMOs, depth and persistence and character growth. Haven does all of those things so very ludicrously well compared to the run of the mill AAA titles.

Oh well. I made an ass of myself there, and honestly I knew right from the start that that's what I was doing. Shouldn't have bashed on the devs at least; as someone pointed out it's just a hobby for them, not their career, they're not really making any money off this so far as I know so it's pretty shitty to expect constant large improvements Honestly though I'm kind of a bitter asshole at heart anyway and nowhere near in a good chapter of my life right now, not to mention how disconcerting it was coming back to something that I was once so passionate about and had some pretty damn good times with back in the day and really diving into the forums. Seeing that everyone I really knew here is gone, that the community has changed and evolved.... ah, makes me feel like some Hollywood stereotype old geezer having a meltdown over how the world has kept turning.

So yeah sorry about that. I always had a bit of a love/hate relationship with Haven, because it was so very close to exactly what I wanted in an MMO without quite hitting the mark. Guess I need to learn to just accept it for what it is instead of expecting it to conform to my desires. Anyway I'll definitely be playing Friday (assuming my toaster can handle the new Haven). Probably under a new account though now that I've annoyed a couple of mods and a dev and a bunch of other old community members; it's already going to be a chore figuring out exactly how the hell to play Haven again, without screwing any chances I have of getting in with a good group as well. ¦]
Reeyfer

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:01 am

Reeyfer wrote: Shouldn't have bashed on the devs at least; as someone pointed out it's just a hobby for them, not their career, they're not really making any money off this so far as I know

Might as well say it is their career. Even if you don't make money on something, and you do nothing else, you have to say it's your career. They've done Salem (before selling to Mortal Moments) and believe they worked on at least one other project for Paradox, even if just as level design or something like that.

Reeyfer wrote:I always had a bit of a love/hate relationship with Haven, because it was so very close to exactly what I wanted in an MMO without quite hitting the mark. Guess I need to learn to just accept it for what it is

Many a book has been written about perfection and always falling short of it. I say if you've found something close to perfection, you should marry it and have babies. :lol:
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Reeyfer » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:12 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Might as well say it is their career. Even if you don't make money on something, and you do nothing else, you have to say it's your career. They've done Salem (before selling to Mortal Moments) and believe they worked on at least one other project for Paradox, even if just as level design or something like that.

Hmm? I thought they were lawyers? At least I could swear I remember reading back when I was playing that they were in law school. Admittedly it's been years...
Reeyfer

Postby burgingham » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:20 pm

That was years ago and only Jorb studied law. He quit though to be a game developer. And at least Jorb has done some work for other Paradox games.
burgingham

Postby Reeyfer » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:05 pm

burgingham wrote:That was years ago and only Jorb studied law. He quit though to be a game developer. And at least Jorb has done some work for other Paradox games.

Ah gotcha. Like I said, been a long time. I guess it's admirable then that they don't try to squeeze some money out of Haven then. The funny thing is that with the way stuff works nowadays and how people have such a hardon for 'early access,' they could probably do a Kickstarter or get it greenlit and have the population explode compared to what it is now that it's absolutely free and they're not asking for any money. Good that they don't though, early access seems to be near-sure death for most games for whatever reason (appropriate, considering the associations of the acronym ¦] ).
Reeyfer

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements