Game Development: Improved kin system

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Improved kin system

Postby Cain » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:03 pm

Gauteamus wrote:The effect should not be linear of course, maybe something like (WARNING: randomly chosen formula ahead):
Max_kinlist = 50 + sqrt(Cha)

A diminishing returns function, such as sqrt(x), would be terrible. (and the constant in that equation is too high, but as you said: "randomly chosen")
Personally I'm fine with a 1:1 ratio between int and 'memorized' people, with maybe a +10 bonus. So a new character could remember 20 people. As long as it doesn't count kin it's not really that big of a deal. If you level int to 30 (easy to do) you could memorize 40 people, which seems to me to be significantly more hearthlings than most people interact with on a regular basis.
I once dreamt of crafting beautiful thane's rings... then I discovered Big Bear Bangers. Now I smash beautiful things.
Cain

Postby Laremere » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:47 pm

I think it would be much better to have people be forgotten after a certain amount of time, possibly lengthened by their cha. However seeing someone again resets the timer. The more people you have memorized the faster the timer goes, and the more int you have the slower the time goes. That way if you only memorize a few people they will last a long time, but if you memorize everyone you see, unless you have high int, the time you remember them will quickly fade.
Laremere

Postby Lothaudus » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:08 pm

Colours are nice and all but I'd prefer to group people by headings rather than colours. Create groups with customisable names (EG: Friends; Foes; Kin; Villagers of Village X; People of Township B; Trading Contacts; Ungrouped) then add people to that group (and of course choose colours for the group). I hate having to scroll some huge ass (and stupidly) multi-coloured list to find the ones who are village members that have logged on so I can invite them to party. I'd rather just have that group of people at the top and do a quick check every once in a while for anyone who's logged on.

Listing options would then include: Sort by alphabetical (so you can still get just a list of everyone you know alphabetically); by groups (Groups as per the order you choose; with members of each group listed alphabetically). Also, sorting alphabetically should be done regardless of capitalisation. At the moment I think people with upper-case vs lower-case first names end up sorted differently. I would check but... server crash.

If you want, limit the number of groups to INT/10 and the number of people in each group to INT or something to that affect...

loftar wrote:Also, it is arguable that it is unreasonable to be able to remember the face of an unlimited number of people, especially for an unlimited amount of time, and even more so when you've only seen them once and briefly. To be more precise, though, if I were going to do the limitation at all, I was only planning to limit the number of memorized-but-not-kinned characters; the number of characters someone has kinned will probably limit itself naturally.

... or this. Limit the number of people memorised but not kinned to INT. It's still player controllable in a sense but would limit the potential for abuse.
Barry Fletcher Norwin
Lawspeaker of Crossroads - Leader of Codexia - Keeper of the Cheese
http://www.rpgcodex.net
Lothaudus

Postby Potjeh » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:33 pm

Filter by group would also be nifty. Ie, only display people belonging to selected groups.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Previous

Return to Announcements